Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Free Travel Guides for all

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:53 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

PROMO: Free Travel Guides for all

Starwood is doing a fun thing. For those who have earned free nights, we are being given the opportunity to get a free electronic travel guide courtesy of Offbeat Guides. It appears that we can get one free guide for each free night earned. You are asked a few basic questions, such as dates of travel. Then the guide is organized electronically. You can chose to delete chapters if you like. You then get an email with a link to it. When you look at the guide, it is a .pdf, so easy to download and save.

To help you make the most of your Free Weekends experience, we'd like to provide you a complimentary, customized travel guide from Offbeat Guides for each of your Free Weekend Nights. Select from 30,000 travel destinations around the world, then download and print your travel guide, featuring the most up-to-date information on local events, festivals, concerts and other fun things to do while you're at your destination.

https://www.spgpromos.com/OffBeatGui..._earned_ENG_US

I expect that Starwood has only begun to roll out the emails; I haven't gotten my own, but got the info from a friend. I was able to successfully use the link above to build a guide.

I think it is very creative and a fun gift from Starwood.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
www.offbeatguides.com
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I got the email yesterday, and generated guides for Bangkok and Rome. It also looks like it's not really limited to one per FWN either.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Very cool! I've been meaning to try this for a while.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Step 4 don't work for me
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:42 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

A unique thing about the guide is that when you enter your travel dates, you are given all the events during that window of time. It's nice to learn of special museum exhibits or who is playing in various concert venues.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A unique thing about the guide is that when you enter your travel dates, you are given all the events during that window of time. It's nice to learn of special museum exhibits or who is playing in various concert venues.
So it might be advantageous to put in a broad range of dates in case your exact plans are not certain.

I left the optional hotel field blank since my specific hotel is undetermined so far. I thought the guide might have then included all of the Starwood hotels in the city, but it instead included no hotels at all.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Does anyone know if there is an expiration on the Guide itself, I will qualify for the guide next week but was wanting to use it for a trip to London in Oct. 2011. I checked the FAQs and did not see anything pertaining to dates and could not find the Terms and Conditions.

Thanks,
sdcarver
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:22 pm
Suspended

I shudder to think how Starwood is going to botch the execution on this one (thereby turning an act of goodwill into one of ill-will, something Starwood has mastered at this point).

Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks for the info!^

This is a pretty nice treat to have.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
The system worked fine for various cities in South America

This actually came in handy for our family trip to South America at the end of the year. While I have not gone through the guides in any detail, the content I reviewed thusfar appears to be pretty good.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Just got one for Shanghai....pretty cool. I think there is a way to send .pdf's to the Kindle....might try to send it over to read on the plane.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I shudder to think how Starwood is going to botch the execution on this one (thereby turning an act of goodwill into one of ill-will, something Starwood has mastered at this point).

It worked perfectly for me.

I didn't get the email, but I believe that's due to some kind of glitch I am sorting out separately from this.

The link worked, I filled it out, and I now have a great guide for our upcoming trip to Rome in Sepember.

Cheers,
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
I have to be more observant, received the email but didn't take much notice. Thanks SanDiego1K, after reading this thread I downloaded a few for stays in Europe later this year.

Particularly like the common words/phrases section, always nice to be able to say a few words in another language (or at least try to).
Thanks SPG ^
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flews
It worked perfectly for me.

I didn't get the email, but I believe that's due to some kind of glitch I am sorting out separately from this.

The link worked, I filled it out, and I now have a great guide for our upcoming trip to Rome in Sepember.

Cheers,
Agreed ^. I havent seen the email yet either, but I have made a wonderful guide for Oahu ^.

Thanks to Starwood, this is a lovely idea.

Now can we get more than one location? I would like to do Maui as well .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.