Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Head Injury caused by Sheraton - Hotel not accepting liability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Head Injury caused by Sheraton - Hotel not accepting liability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Both OP and the hotel's GM posting information about this case on Flyertalk. Wow, not very professional... Makes me wonder what kind of management this hotel has...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Sheraton GM
Hope your girlfriend is getting very well....
Anyone know if Sheraton GM is authentic or an imposter? I find it curious that 1) s/he just joined today, 2) apparently for the purpose of posting in this thread, and 3) s/he is suspended. I would have expected to see a reply from William or Thyetus.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think this thread needs to be closed for everyone's own good - if this case goes to court in the US, it's likely the entire thread including the archived edited/deleted posts from Google will end up as evidence and possibly used by the defendant against the plaintiff if their deposition or any evidence (i.e. witness accounts, real CCTV tape, etc) differs from what they posted here.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think this thread needs to be closed for everyone's own good - if this case goes to court in the US, it's likely the entire thread including the archived edited/deleted posts from Google will end up as evidence and possibly used by the defendant against the plaintiff if their deposition or any evidence (i.e. witness accounts, real CCTV tape, etc) differs from what they posted here.
lol. why would anything differ? i mean we wouldnt want to foul up a perfectly good court case with something so silly as "truth"...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bocastephen
very true....
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Unfortunately, you need to lawyer up, IMHO.
Sadly, I think you're right.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flews
My view is:

1. Accidents happen. Unless the hotel and/or the valet and/or *wood was negligent, I don't understand why you would expect any compensation, let alone sue for damages;

2. Accidents happen. That's why everyone should have insurance to cover all perils, especially if you are traveling, especially when you are traveling to a country like China;

3. Even though I don't agree this warrants compensation from *wood, I do agree the OP should take the advice of the lawyers and others on this thread - stop posting!

Cheers,
I agree with this. But I still don't see why you would want to take legal action. From a Ducth point of view and I assumme it wasn't done with any intent so it was just a accident. if you aren't insured for this it is your (or her's) own fault! And why would you expect any compensation from the hotel, they aren't a party in this event...? I guess you should indeed hire lawyer who knows more about this...

Last edited by thomas199023; Jul 11, 2010 at 5:48 pm
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Was the girlfriend on a business trip? If so, perhaps this is worker's compensation related.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Originally Posted by controller1
Was the girlfriend on a business trip? If so, perhaps this is worker's compensation related.
In this case.

FYI, a scar on the forhead will be categorized as level 10 injury, there are 10 levels of injuries in China. She will get around 35000 RMB from employment injury insurance as compensation apart from her medical expenses.

Last edited by pelapela; Jul 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by pelapela
FYI, a scar on the forehead will be categorized as level 10 injury, there are 10 levels of injuries in China. She will get around 35000 RMB from employment injury insurance as compensation apart from her medical expenses.
35000 Chinese yuan = 5167.7150 US dollars

If that's fact, then IMO, it would seem to make sense for the hotel's insurance company to AT LEAST pony up for this amount.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Originally Posted by sc flier
35000 Chinese yuan = 5167.7150 US dollars

If that's fact, then IMO, it would seem to make sense for the hotel's insurance company to AT LEAST pony up for this amount.
Actually, in China, employment injury insurance compensation is considered as the highest standard of compensation. Good luck.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:20 am

In a sense this is a very informative thread in a way that it lets me know what to expect should I fall victim to negligence/crime from a starwood hotel in a foreign land.

For i.e., if I fall down the steps at some Sheraton because it was left slippery and I injure my back, Starwood (the parent company) holds little to no liability. They will only act as an 'intermediary' to help me 'convey messages' to the hotel's management…

I will personally need to take the hotel, its management and its parent company (usually a local holding firm) to the table/tribunal to 'negotiate' a settlement amount on my own/with my own lawyer. If I am on a holiday and am only in that country for a week or so, tough luck, there is virtually nothing/close to nothing I can do once I leave the country. The best I could hope for would be some form of freebies in return (starpoints, comp nights etc)

I don't know if it's just me, but one of the main reasons I choose the likes of Sheraton/Hilton/Marriott is for the assumed/embedded assurance that should something go wrong I would be looked after by the HQ (Starwood), even after I leave the premises/country altogether. Now I know I've been mistaken. Even if the hotel proudly flies a Starwood Westin flag, it will in fact be a totally separate entity. Plainly put, even if you get stabbed by one of the staff at a Westin XYZ, Starwood is technically not at fault. You will have to settle it with the management and its insurance company etc.

This is quite enlightening for me.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jaejaez
In a sense this is a very informative thread in a way that it lets me know what to expect should I fall victim to negligence/crime from a starwood hotel in a foreign land.

For i.e., if I fall down the steps at some Sheraton because it was left slippery and I injure my back, Starwood (the parent company) holds little to no liability. They will only act as an 'intermediary' to help me 'convey messages' to the hotel's management…

I will personally need to take the hotel, its management and its parent company (usually a local holding firm) to the table/tribunal to 'negotiate' a settlement amount on my own/with my own lawyer. If I am on a holiday and am only in that country for a week or so, tough luck, there is virtually nothing/close to nothing I can do once I leave the country. The best I could hope for would be some form of freebies in return (starpoints, comp nights etc)

I don't know if it's just me, but one of the main reasons I choose the likes of Sheraton/Hilton/Marriott is for the assumed/embedded assurance that should something go wrong I would be looked after by the HQ (Starwood), even after I leave the premises/country altogether. Now I know I've been mistaken. Even if the hotel proudly flies a Starwood Westin flag, it will in fact be a totally separate entity. Plainly put, even if you get stabbed by one of the staff at a Westin XYZ, Starwood is technically not at fault. You will have to settle it with the management and its insurance company etc.

sometime the properties can be very good about things like this....

a few years ago, my wife & i were staying at the sofitel in mauritius....my wife is extremely allergic to sea food & she makes this very clear when she is ordering her food....we were having lunch at a sea side restaurant at the hotel & she ordered a chicken dish....they brought her fish by mistake....she realised this after taking a bite but by then it was too late....the allergy kicked in & she started feeling sick right away....we had to rush her to the hospital where we spent the night....

the hotel was very sorry for their mistake....they took care of all the hospital expenses & also comped the stay....when we got back from the hospital the next day they even upgraded us to a suite for the remaining 2 days of our stay....we decided not to pursue this any further since we feel the property acted quickly & took care of us before this issue could be escalated....
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
50k? For a superficial cut? Thats more than the average salary for a U.S. resident, and probably much more than that for a Chinese worker. I was starting to feel for your girlfriend a little up until that post, now all I see is greed.
I might not go as far to say "greed" but the amount does seem rather large for the injury, i.e. sounds excessive for a superficial cut that will probably be easy to cover with a decent foundation.

I'm not really into 'compensation culture' although I believe in holding people/organisations accountable for gross negligence. This case sounds very much like an accident and while I do think that the initial medical costs should be covered (but if it is claimable from travel insurance, which it should be, should be claimed from them), I would personally feel terribly greedy if I claimed for plastic surgery if I were the victim of this case, especially considering that the victim's occupation is not modelling, promo girl etc.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jaejaez

I think that this cynicism is both unnecessary and inaccurate. Reread the thread. Much of the OP's friend's problems result from the structure of the legal system in China. When we finally heard from management (Sheraton GM), we hear that they are working with the victim to make this right. What makes you assume that this isn't the case? The comments about the video? Maybe there is nothing on the video. We don't know where the camera was positioned, how it was angled, etc. Let's not jump to conclusions. Once this is resolved, hopefully the OP will at least let us know whether or not the resolution was satisfactory. These matters often take more than a year. And remember, we weren't there. Without calling anyone a liar, we don't know what actually happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.