Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Head Injury caused by Sheraton - Hotel not accepting liability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Head Injury caused by Sheraton - Hotel not accepting liability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
These issues should be tried in court, not on bulletin boards. If <name country> courts aren't perceived to be fair, with high standards of evidence, then don't expect much in the way of prevention.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The properties are independently owned and managed. The incident happened in China and has nothing to do with the US. So what the link to Starwood Corp.??
Was it stated earlier in this thread that it is independently managed? I believe that some hotels in China might be managed by a division of Starwood, and I don't think that the specific hotel has been identified other than that it's a Sheraton. I may have overlooked it.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by F0CUS
I will keep this thread updated on the situation. I think I am going to try to push Starwood to step-up their involvement before proceeding with legal action.
No, actually you should not be keeping this thread updated on the situation. It was mentioned by other posters, but I'll bold it for you: immediately stop posting about this incident here and on any other Internet site (FB, Twitter, wherever). Immediately.

Next, hire a lawyer through a trusted referral, make sure the lawyer is aware of what you've already publicly disclosed, edit all of your posts here to remove photos, descriptions and commentary (although the contents have probably been scooped up by Google already) - basically make all of your posts here blank.

Let the lawyer handle everything going forward.

Stop posting on this incident
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
50k? For a superficial cut? Thats more than the average salary for a U.S. resident, and probably much more than that for a Chinese worker. I was starting to feel for your girlfriend a little up until that post, now all I see is greed.
In all fairness, isn't that how negotiations work? If he asks for 50k they may come back with 25k. Why start at the bottom?

And if medical bills will run 25k is it really that unreasonable to ask for another 25k for pain/suffering of a (potentially) lifetime disfigurement? Certainly we have no way of knowing how completely the wound will heal...but if it leaves a noticeable mark I honestly don't think 25k is out of line.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Aeroplan, RBC Avion
Originally Posted by broadwayblue

And if medical bills will run 25k is it really that unreasonable to ask for another 25k for pain/suffering of a (potentially) lifetime disfigurement?
Yes it is, its not like she lost an eye or something. She will heal. Would you be willing to pay someone $50k if you accidentally slammed a door in their face and cut them?? Accidents happen.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by adamak
She could be a model. That will directly affect her career & income.
She could but she's not. Read the posts and you'll see that she is "a business manager for an international semi-conductor company."
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:34 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
courts are not reliable.

And if medical bills will run 25k is it really that unreasonable to ask for another 25k for pain/suffering of a (potentially) lifetime disfigurement?
I will give my take on this.

The hotel should be paying for the medical cost and the plastic surgery if needed. However, the medical procedures will be done in China with Chinese doctors that (like their toys) costs a fraction of what it does in US.

My aunt just had colon lumps (of potential colon cancer) surgery in China and including bribes, and with decent doctor, costs less than $US 2000 with 10 days in hospital.

Did you get travel insurance? You should now.

So, the 50K is out to lunch. Going through the corrupt courts in China is not a good idea. In my experience, a worker that fell 2 floors and had to stay in hospital for 2 weeks received $US 5000 + all hospital costs covered - that was 2 years ago.

The local hotel has to bribe the local officials to get things running smoothly and likely have the support of local Mayor, government officials and if powerful enough the state governor.

If you're a foreigner but a "nobody" and got hurt like that, you perhaps can get a few thousand US dollars and the immediate medical bills (and possibily plastic surgery).

It seems your girlfriend is Chinese. Is she some government official's daughter? Is she some merchant's daughter? Are you related to anyone that has prestige in the area? Let's assume your father does. You need to work it like this... Find the a high level officer of the state who are both business friend's (wink wink) of your prestigious dad and the hotel owner's. This "high level official" need to have some powers and is somewhat important to both the fortunes of your family and hotel owners.

Appeal to this official on what happened through wine and dine or "special massage"/ night club if needed. He will get the hotel owner's side of the story and make a judgement. If he rules the owner should pay you the $US 50,000 or even $US 200,000, the owner will pony up to protect the relationship. If he rules you ought to get $US 50, you shall take it and go away.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
In all fairness, isn't that how negotiations work? If he asks for 50k they may come back with 25k. Why start at the bottom?

And if medical bills will run 25k is it really that unreasonable to ask for another 25k for pain/suffering of a (potentially) lifetime disfigurement? Certainly we have no way of knowing how completely the wound will heal...but if it leaves a noticeable mark I honestly don't think 25k is out of line.
But he never said he was looking for 25k(still way too much), rather the op stated 50K is what was needed. Thats $5,500 per stitch. Please.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:10 pm

My view is:

1. Accidents happen. Unless the hotel and/or the valet and/or *wood was negligent, I don't understand why you would expect any compensation, let alone sue for damages;

2. Accidents happen. That's why everyone should have insurance to cover all perils, especially if you are traveling, especially when you are traveling to a country like China;

3. Even though I don't agree this warrants compensation from *wood, I do agree the OP should take the advice of the lawyers and others on this thread - stop posting!

Cheers,
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will keep this thread updated on the situation. I think I am going to try to push Starwood to step-up their involvement before proceeding with legal action.
I am a lawyer but I can't provide an opinion as to whether the Starwood corporate parent is liable or not. I would strongly advise you to consult an attorney with experience in hotel liability (initial consultations are usually free) and get an informed opinion, rather than relying on anonymous opinions from non-lawyers on an internet website. I've also had enough experience with China to know that the assistance of a Chinese attorney with the right connections can make a world of a difference.

This requires an informed professional opinion. The best thing you can do is get one.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As anyone that has a liability policy, be it auto, home, or otherwise, the insurance gives pretty clear instructions DO NOT ADMIT TO ANYTHING and report the accident. She might try contacting her medical insurance carrier and see what assistance they can provide. If they are good, they will approve all the care needed and then go after the other party for payment.

But as has been stated many times, STOP posting. FT is more than capable of continuing a discussion without any input from the OP and head off in a totally unrelated direction.

Good luck with your efforts and hope she's better soon.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: FB, Starwood
That is very unfortunate to sustain such injury. However, outside US, concept of accident still exists. I doubt that (especially) in China she has much chance of US style compensation. And I don’t see how it would be fair for Starwood in US to pay 50K?! Also, it would be prudent to have a health insurance. What if something like this happens without someone else’s fault? Perhaps her employer could help with getting her a policy for the future?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:16 am
Suspended

My experience is for international branded hotels like Starwood, franchise or not, is worthy to be trusted, just need to be patient to sit down and discuss with hotel (or through hotel to further approach with their owner) to find a solution that both feel acceptable.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:46 am
Suspended

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately we have come to the same conclusion. I have spoken to a few lawyers in China who basically say that I should be happy with whatever they offer us, in China, personal injury claims are not taken very seriously.

After the GM kept saying that they wouldn't accept liability, he told us to suggest a settlement amount we did some research and came up with the following settlement amount of $50k. Broken down as follows: $23k to cover all future medical expenses including plastic surgery(s); $5k for the lost time she will have to spend treating the scar; $10k for lost career opportunities since she is now very afraid to meet with customers and make public appearances; $15k for pain and suffering for the rest of her life, considering that she will always have the scar on her face, even if slightly reduced by plastic surgery.

In response, the GM said that he " received unfavorable written.replies to your claims.from owner's Insurance company and.lawyer who are in favor of resolving the case by legal actions."

He said that he is "still consulting Starwood legal department for advice.and will have a meeting with owner, his lawyer and Insurance company on Monday."

It has already been three weeks of similar back-and-forth and I am starting to think that they are just trying to delay, delay, delay...
Hope your girlfriend is getting very well.
We appreciate your feedback and comments and, as I've promised, Starwood and I are dealing this case seriously with hotel's insurer for the best possible solution (amount). I'll meet them again tomorrow and sure will continue to communicate with you offline.
PS. I've viewed the cctv record and could not find our bellman has the action of pushing/slamming to close the taxi door.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by Sheraton GM
PS. I've viewed the cctv record and could not find our bellman has the action of pushing/slamming to close the taxi door.
Houston we have a problem! Seems this is better than the old cliffhanger series.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.