Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Properties that have left Starwood in Australia and SE Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Properties that have left Starwood in Australia and SE Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As for Starwood neglecting 'Australia + Asia', try having a look at net change in Starwood properties in the region over the last five years. There has been significant investment.
Not if you exclude China (and someone pointed out India)

Just look at Phuket which is supposed to be booming; in recent years Starwood lost the Royal Meridien and the Four Points in Patong (even before opening) and all they managed to achieve is one Westin in a location most would not even consider staying. Marriott on the other hand secured one Renaissance (in a prime location) and three Courtyards.

Try looking at the world map, between Lombok (next to Bali) and Melbourne there will be no Starwood property after the Sherton Perth is gone. Can someone tell me the distance between the Sheraton Senggigi Lombok and Westin Melbourne ?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
- Le Meridien Vanuatu (becoming a Holiday Inn)
- Sheraton Papeete (now a Hilton)
- Sheraton Moorea (now a Hilton)
- Bora Bora Nui (now a, you guessed it, Hilton)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:43 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Don't forget the Sheraton Wentworth which is now the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:05 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
I would love there to be more Starwoods in my region, however, I think there are more than there were.

We are looking at departures over the past 20 years, but not new openings. For example, Bangkok used to be only the ROS - next year it will be brimming with Starwood With 2 x LM,Sheraton, Luxury Collection, St Regis, Aloft, Four Points, Westin, W. That's 8/9 brands in one city and 9 hotels. A 700% increase over my first visit.

We have lost some which haven't been replaced (yet) but also gained many. It's the nature of business to grow where you have more opportunity.

Glass half full?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Don't forget the Sheraton Wentworth which is now the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney.
Didnt realise it was once a Sheraton, is it still owned by Qantas ?

Another one that I forgot was Westin Banyan Tree Bangkok
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
We are looking at departures over the past 20 years, but not new openings. For example, Bangkok used to be only the ROS - next year it will be brimming with Starwood With 2 x LM,Sheraton, Luxury Collection, St Regis, Aloft, Four Points, Westin, W. That's 8/9 brands in one city and 9 hotels. A 700% increase over my first visit.
I believe ITT Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien etc were all independent brands 20 years ago, Starwood didnt even exist then. But I do accept your point to a certain extent, there is a net increase in Starwood hotels in Bangkok over the last few years namely the Le Meridien and the upcoming Four Points.

However I wouldnt include any property that is still under construction before Starwood's team actually comes onsite. I thought by now we would see 2 Starwood hotels in Halong Bay, no it didnt materialise
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Delightful Lady
Please refer to the correct name....Uluru
Just quoted yourself from above... Do you know what is the name of former *wood property in Uluru (aka Ayers Rock)? What was in Hobart?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by m0hamed
And the former Sheraton at Sydney Airport.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by ajnaro
And the former Sheraton at Sydney Airport.
See post #1 here
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
And in Singapore my first stay was at the Century Park sheraton overlooking Tanglin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.