Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex 30'000 starpoints with $1000 spending

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:38 pm

Also got the 14 day notice for the business card. Last time I got this I had applied for the SPG and they just wanted to confirm something on the phone I think. I also recently applied for a credit line increase on my personal SPG - now I wish I hadn't because I think if I hadn't, I might have gotten instantly approved.

BTW, the business card lets you put in a non-street address.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by dc3
I just called about this. If you have NOT had a card in the past 2 years you are eligible. But the application must be online. Call up and you get only 10,000 points.
But the T&C say:
"1. Offer not available to existing Starwood Preferred Guest (Business) Credit Cardmembers"

That certainly does not say the offer is not available if you have had the card in the past 2 years - its says if you do not have the business card RIGHT NOW.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Would it look bad if I apply for the business card this week if I just applied and was approved for the personal card today? Or should I wait a few days?

An extra 30k points to pad my SPG account would be nice. Especially since I am heading overseas on holiday in August. I wonder if the 30k points will post by then if I charge up $1,000 as soon as I get the card. Or would I have to wait for the billing statement to close etc.... Then wait a few weeks beyond that.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:23 pm

Exclamation

I hate to be the fly in the ointment and I'm sure that most will not be affected by this, regardless of approach, but it is illegal to lie on a credit or loan application. It is fraud. Might even be felonious fraud. The kicker is that it's real easy to prove. And, I'm sure the IRS would love to know where you're stashing the "$500,000" that Fly By Night Phantom Point Earners, Inc. supposedly earned last year.

Will you get away with it from Amex and the IRS? Possibly, maybe even probably, but the risk-to-reward ratio is way too high in my opinion. Don't do anything wrong and you'll never have to worry about getting caught. Worst case scenario, you lie, get caught and still don't get approved for the points or have the points taken away because you committed fraud to get them...And Amex notes the default and reason to the credit bureaus.

Now, as for the honest applicants...awesome! Wish this deal existed when the Mrs. & I signed up!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ttrltb
I hate to be the fly in the ointment and I'm sure that most will not be affected by this, regardless of approach, but it is illegal to lie on a credit or loan application. It is fraud. Might even be felonious fraud. The kicker is that it's real easy to prove. And, I'm sure the IRS would love to know where you're stashing the "$500,000" that Fly By Night Phantom Point Earners, Inc. supposedly earned last year.

Will you get away with it from Amex and the IRS? Possibly, maybe even probably, but the risk-to-reward ratio is way too high in my opinion. Don't do anything wrong and you'll never have to worry about getting caught. Worst case scenario, you lie, get caught and still don't get approved for the points or have the points taken away because you committed fraud to get them...And Amex notes the default and reason to the credit bureaus.

Now, as for the honest applicants...awesome! Wish this deal existed when the Mrs. & I signed up!
dude you say that in relations to what ?
Noone here said that they inflate their income on purpose. I wonder why the extra mile...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by libuser
dude you say that in relations to what ?
Noone here said that they inflate their income on purpose. I wonder why the extra mile...
I say that in relation to several people asking about how to get the business card without actually owning a business and being advised by some to: just put the min requirements listed on the app for income, to list false, non-existent business names and to be creative, though not too creative, on their application. The citing of $500k was simply an exaggeration of an already questionable idea...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:42 pm

I say that in relation to several people asking about how to get the business card without actually owning a business and being advised by some to: just put the min requirements listed on the app for income, to list false, non-existent business names and to be creative, though not too creative, on their application. The citing of $500k was simply an exaggeration of an already questionable idea...
Ever sold anything on eBay? You're a legitimate sole proprietor.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:49 pm
Suspended

If you're commenting on my earlier post - I'm no ones babysitter. Yes, it's technically fraud and they're all big boys and girls.

And as noted above, if you've ever been paid for something that doesn't fit into the 'normal' job type catagory, you're in business, be it for $1 or $1m

And FTR, I have a legitimate LLC - no fraud here
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: most of them
so, if you don't get approved instantly are you doomed? or do you have an equally good chance of ultimate approval?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by abcx
Ever sold anything on eBay? You're a legitimate sole proprietor.
I second that.

I have had an ongoing intermittent consulting business over 30 years,and do OK with the business cards. Legally, I think you are a sole proprietor at the time you say you are. Profitable....well...never lie on an application and you can't be wrong.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Got 14 day message also Does anybody have a # to call to expedite approval process?
To answer my own question. To check on application status: https://www201.americanexpress.com/e...ck/welcome.jsp or call 1-866-314-0237 (Mon-Fri 6am-8pm MST)
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:30 pm
Used to be 'slotownmomma'

Programs: Too many to list!
Totally Bummed! - Just apply for 10,000 point offer

I am totally bummed. I have been waiting to apply and finally did but for the 10,000 point offer. Now I see this 30,000 offer. So I called and ask. They said I needed a PROMOTIONAL CODE from my offer where it was email or whatever. I think once you've applied through a certain link, you are stuck with that offer. If anyone knows the PROMO CODE for this 30,000 offer, can you please post for everyone.
Has anyone received the offer through email from Starwood? She asked me if I had an email from Starwood and to check there. I think this is the only way they will change your offer once you already have the regular 10,000 point offer.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG
Is there a new member referral for this card?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Thanks for the notification. I've been waiting for a better offer than the prior 10K + 15K for $15K spend. Perfect timing!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
i too have been waiting to apply for quite some time. any idea if my boyfriend can send me the referral link so he can get some bonus points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.