FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1095477-promo-move-spg-points-aa-25-35-bonus-thru-june-30-a.html)

josephstern Jun 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 14161812)
Way, way off, IMHO. Delta claimed 72 million SkyMiles accounts after integrating NW's program, and 32K Diamond members. One doesn't see 29K Diamonds posting on the Delta FT forum.

Fair enough. I guess we've got a nice little quiet community here.

seawolf Jun 20, 2010 6:08 am

I converted 300K SPG to AA this week. Transferred 60K a day. I also transferred miles from Marriott on Saturday afternoon. Checked Sunday morning and AA posted the miles and the bonus for both programs. Went from 442,374 lifetime AA miles to 1,016,124. Sweet.

Need to start chipping away on the 2nd million miles.

RTW4 Jun 20, 2010 6:49 am

I also transferred SPG this week and posted today WITH the bonus miles. Now close to another 4 VIPOW for reaching the next million mile mark....

OkieFlyer Jun 20, 2010 8:50 am

I transferred 180k starpoints to AA last week and they all posted this morning with the bonus. I transferred another 60k yesterday, but they did not post so I must have missed the deadline for this week. With the transfer it left me at 997,874 lifetime miles. Guess I have to wait until next week to hit the 1mm mark!

tmartazu Jun 20, 2010 9:56 am

I had three transfers from last week which all posted today WITH the bonus. ^

bcm0830 Jun 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Transfering SPG points to AA is the COOLEST thing ever!! (well, besides redeeming AA points for F awards on QF/BA/CX)

Now I'm going to be paranoid about transfering future SPG points when there is no bonus in effect in case another one is announced sometime down the road...

izzik Jun 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by bcm0830 (Post 14165849)
Transfering SPG points to AA is the COOLEST thing ever!! (well, besides redeeming AA points for F awards on QF/BA/CX)

Now I'm going to be paranoid about transfering future SPG points when there is no bonus in effect in case another one is announced sometime down the road...

+1..
I transferred points to miles back in early May.. bummer!

thesilb Jun 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Is it important to literally wait 24 hours between 60K sends?

Years ago, I wanted to do multiple 60K sends and my recollection is just doing them on different calendar days, regardless of literally waiting 24:00:01.

broadwayblue Jun 20, 2010 9:43 pm

My base and bonus miles have also posted from my transfers earlier in the week.

OkieFlyer Jun 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by thesilb (Post 14166512)
Is it important to literally wait 24 hours between 60K sends?

Years ago, I wanted to do multiple 60K sends and my recollection is just doing them on different calendar days, regardless of literally waiting 24:00:01.

I can confirm that it let me do it in less than 24 actual hours. I just did it the next calendar day and it had only been about 16 hours between transfers. Had no problem.

thesilb Jun 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by OkieFlyer (Post 14167789)
I can confirm that it let me do it in less than 24 actual hours. I just did it the next calendar day and it had only been about 16 hours between transfers. Had no problem.

Thanks, that's what I thought the rule was. Appreciate the reply.

KathyWdrf Jun 21, 2010 1:59 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 14137552)
I think it just means that two 20K transfers don't add together to qualify for the 35%. They'll each get a 25% bonus.

Incorrect. 20K Starpoints convert to 25K AA miles, and therefore (being > 20K AA miles, see post #1) qualify for the 35% bonus, according to izzik's experience in post #15:

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 14130314)
I can confirm that you do receive a 35% bonus of the miles that show up in your AA account...ie, 8750 bonus for a 25k mile (20k spg pt) transfer.

This is contrary to the statements of some on this thread who think that a 20K Starpoints conversion would be suboptimal.

Personally, with only ~40K points currently in my SPG account, I'm inclined to convert just 20K of them, receive 33,750 AA miles, and save the remaining 20K Starpoints for SPG hotel awards (esp. Cash & Points)! ;)

KathyWdrf Jun 21, 2010 2:26 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorintraining (Post 14129639)
...Received an e-mail from AA this morning as follows... link provided:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...n.jsp?from=Nav

The only thing that spooks me about participating is that the above link does NOT take me to the promo. Can anyone provide a URL that does? :confused:

jlgrandam Jun 21, 2010 6:03 am

Hey guys, I have redeemed many free nights using starpoints but have never used airline miles before. I value starpoints at 3-6 cents/point since this is the typical redemption rate that we receive. Can someone explain to me why one would want to move large amounts of starpoints to AA miles? Can the AA miles be valued even higher than starpoints? I've only heard horror stories about trying to get award redemptions out of the airlines. Thanks for the input!

broadwayblue Jun 21, 2010 6:09 am

Originally Posted by jlgrandam (Post 14168904)
Hey guys, I have redeemed many free nights using starpoints but have never used airline miles before. I value starpoints at 3-6 cents/point since this is the typical redemption rate that we receive. Can someone explain to me why one would want to move large amounts of starpoints to AA miles? Can the AA miles be valued even higher than starpoints? I've only heard horror stories about trying to get award redemptions out of the airlines. Thanks for the input!

60k starpoints at a valuation of $.03 is $1,800. If you transfer the same 60k to AA with this promotion you end up with 101,250 AA miles. That's enough miles for a business class ticket to Europe or Asia which "sells" for much more than $1,800 (or $3,600.) Don't forget that the miles can be redeemed for partner awards on any OneWorld member including Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines or Qantas. AA award redemptions are pretty good, and I'd go so far as to say very good if you can plan a bit in advance and have some flexibility in your schedule.