Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

Old Jun 15, 10, 9:58 am
Community Director

Since the next question will be "when will I see the points in my AA account", I've read thru recent posts in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ints-aa-3.html

It appears that the sweep occurs early Monday mornings.
Old Jun 15, 10, 10:22 am
Suspended

Just wanted everybody to know the following:

I converted my points to a Marriott hotel air and travel pacakge and received the expected miles immediately. No bonus miles showed up -- no did I expect them to so soon, if ever.

Another poster apparently did a straight points to mileage conversion and her reports that the expected miles as well as the bonus miles showed up in his account the next day.

If accurate, it is unlikely that I will see bonus points from the air and hotel travel package and this might also occur with respect to SPG vis a vis a straight points to miles conversion vs. a Night and Flights conversion, which may not receive the bonus.
Old Jun 15, 10, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum and lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
that's hilarious.

you can just buy spg points.
Or, if have the SPG amex card: if your monthly billing cycle is about to close...just charge something that equals approx. the amount of points that you need. Be sure and save the receipt and then return the item after the month's points have posted to your account. The amount will be deducted from your following month's balance so you will have the points you need before the deadline at the end of the month. COST = $0
Old Jun 15, 10, 12:13 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by emos-closet View Post
Or, if have the SPG amex card: if your monthly billing cycle is about to close...just charge something that equals approx. the amount of points that you need. Be sure and save the receipt and then return the item after the month's points have posted to your account. The amount will be deducted from your following month's balance so you will have the points you need before the deadline at the end of the month. COST = $0
...i usually just by a gift card at costco in the amount of points i need and then use the GC at costo until it is drawn down...your method also works....
Old Jun 15, 10, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
On the US thread I had inquried if AA had ever offered such a bonus (vis a vis transfers from SPG), glad I could help.

Anyways just transfered 60k as an initial run, will do another 250-300k (have tons of *points and rather have them with AA) but does anyone know if there is a limit? I could not find it anywhere...
Old Jun 15, 10, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
I'm really kicking myself right now as I just transferred some points to my AAdvantage account a couple weeks ago!
Old Jun 15, 10, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Avis CC, AMX Plat, SVO
Terms & Conditions question...

As per the T&C on this offer:

Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles.

Would you all take that to mean that a ONE TIME conversion is all that will get the bonuses... no taking advantage of multiple days of $60k transfers? If so, we effectively "lose" the total 25% bonus on the SPG side, but apparently still make up the difference (and add 10%) on the AA side.

Am I just really confused???
Old Jun 15, 10, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by TxnTravlr View Post
As per the T&C on this offer:

Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles.

Would you all take that to mean that a ONE TIME conversion is all that will get the bonuses... no taking advantage of multiple days of $60k transfers? If so, we effectively "lose" the total 25% bonus on the SPG side, but apparently still make up the difference (and add 10%) on the AA side.

Am I just really confused???
I think it just means that two 20K transfers don't add together to qualify for the 35%. They'll each get a 25% bonus.
Old Jun 15, 10, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Is my math right? Worth it?

So my wife needs 3500 points to get to 60K points. This will cost $122.50. For my money we get:

3500 x 1.25 = 4375 AA miles after conversion

plus since we now reach a 3rd 20K threshold, we get the 35% bonus on an additional 25K miles:

25,000 x 0.35 = 8750 AA miles

cost per mile: $122.50/(4375 + 8750) = .93 cents per mile

Seems like a good deal to me. Of course, if this kind of promo comes around once in a while (we just joined starwood in Nov. 2009) then maybe it's OK to wait. We won't need the AA miles until summer 2011. Anyone see this type of conversion bonus promo to AA before?

Our Amex billing cycle just closed, so no more CC points before June 30th.

Last edited by mangoMan; Jun 15, 10 at 1:34 pm Reason: added info on CC billing cycle
Old Jun 15, 10, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan View Post
So my wife needs 3500 points to get to 60K points. This will cost $122.50. For my money we get:

3500 x 1.25 = 4375 AA miles after conversion

plus since we now reach a 3rd 20K threshold, we get the 35% bonus on an additional 25K miles:

25,000 x 0.35 = 8750 AA miles

cost per mile: $122.50/(4375 + 8750) = .93 cents per mile

Seems like a good deal to me. Of course, if this kind of promo comes around once in a while (we just joined starwood in Nov. 2009) then maybe it's OK to wait. We won't need the AA miles until summer 2011. Anyone see this type of conversion bonus promo to AA before?
I've never seen one before, but I'm about as new to the game as you are.

I'm wondering if I should move orphan points over. So if I'm left with 3000 points, so I do the transfer with a batch of 20K to get the 35% on that 3000? Otherwise, the best I could hope for short of another promo is 25% with another 17K. So I think I might zero myself out.
Old Jun 15, 10, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
Just wanted everybody to know the following:

I converted my points to a Marriott hotel air and travel pacakge and received the expected miles immediately. No bonus miles showed up -- no did I expect them to so soon, if ever.

Another poster apparently did a straight points to mileage conversion and her reports that the expected miles as well as the bonus miles showed up in his account the next day.

If accurate, it is unlikely that I will see bonus points from the air and hotel travel package and this might also occur with respect to SPG vis a vis a straight points to miles conversion vs. a Night and Flights conversion, which may not receive the bonus.
If the points showed up from Marriott, would you not anticipate that AA may in fact credit the 25/35% bonus within 7 days per the terms? From what I've seen of the Nights and Flights, the AA miles convert much like the regular points to AA conversion. How would AA differentiate?

Another poster received their conversion from hotel to AA and AA posted the bonus all within the past day? This bonus just came out yesterday afternoon???
Old Jun 15, 10, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver (ew), SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
Ah, I see, thank you! So if the miles need to post to the AA account by 6/30, I can think of a few programs where any transfer initiated today will definitely not make the cutoff (e.g., Radisson and Wyndham).
Originally Posted by Mahalo View Post
...The rep. did elaborate that the June 30th deadline date applied to when the hotel partners actually made the request to convert the points to AA so for example if Starwood received your request on June 29th and didn't make the transfer to AA until July 1st, you'd be out of luck with the 25/35% bonus...
Don't worry, AA says otherwise:

Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice View Post
Thanks for everyone’s interest in our hotel conversion bonus miles offer – it is a sweet deal! We noticed that there’s some anxiety over conversions possibly being excluded if they post after the promotion period – but no worries! As long as you make the transaction within the time frame listed, then you will qualify for the bonus miles regardless of when the transaction is credited to your account.
<snip>

Enjoy!
Old Jun 15, 10, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG, UA, BA, AA, Hawaiian, Cont.
I'm new to the game, fairly new to Starwood and have never transfered anything, anywhere...

For this offer, would I be better off combining the Wife and my Starwood Points (will be just shy of 60K), buying the few extra I need (less than 1000) and convert in a single chunk of 60K SPG into 101K AA (per the first post) into a single AA Account?

Otherwise I could do a 40K chunk for me, and could buy some for her to get to 20K...

Sw2
Old Jun 15, 10, 3:21 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by SuperW2 View Post
...would I be better off combining the Wife and my Starwood Points .... and convert in a single chunk of 60K SPG into 101K AA (per the first post) into a single AA Account?
In my opinion, yes. You want to transfer in multiples of 20K, and this enables you to do so. Once in your AA account, you have a lot more flexibility when redeeming for an award if you have a large single chunk of miles than if you have two smaller pots. And you can easily redeem for her from your account. The only reason you might do differently would be if she has AA miles as well, and is near a threshold for lifetime gold/plat or an award.
Old Jun 15, 10, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG, UA, BA, AA, Hawaiian, Cont.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
In my opinion, yes. You want to transfer in multiples of 20K, and this enables you to do so. Once in your AA account, you have a lot more flexibility when redeeming for an award if you have a large single chunk of miles than if you have two smaller pots. And you can easily redeem for her from your account. The only reason you might do differently would be if she has AA miles as well, and is near a threshold for lifetime gold/plat or an award.
Thanks....as part of the Transfer, can I indicate which AA account they get transfered into? (ie if the 60K SPG points are in my name with SPG, but I want the AA points to be placed into her AA Account since she already has a larger mile total)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: