Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: Move SPG points to AA: 25-35% bonus thru June 30

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow - I've been waiting for just such a promo! This is great!

Two questions:

1 - Is anyone sure this isn't targeted? Has anyone who did NOT receive the email been able to take advantage of it?

2 - Does the fact that Starwood isn't listed on that linked page present a potential problem? The page says "eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants" and then has a list that does include hotels like Sheraton, but not Starwood specifically.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by josephstern
Wow - I've been waiting for just such a promo! This is great!

Two questions:

1 - Is anyone sure this isn't targeted? Has anyone who did NOT receive the email been able to take advantage of it?

2 - Does the fact that Starwood isn't listed on that linked page present a potential problem? The page says "eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants" and then has a list that does include hotels like Sheraton, but not Starwood specifically.
1. This isn't targeted b/c it's posted right on aa.com website.
2. Sheraton = Starwood
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:33 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by tmartazu
I don't think the Free Weekend/Sheraton 1000 miles will post until way after this promotion ends on 6/30. The Free Weekend/Sheraton 1000 miles promo goes until 7/31 and T&C's state: "Bonus miles will post to your AAdvantage® account 4–6 weeks after the promotion has ended."
Ah, I see, thank you! So if the miles need to post to the AA account by 6/30, I can think of a few programs where any transfer initiated today will definitely not make the cutoff (e.g., Radisson and Wyndham).
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I did it with N&F today so we'll see how it shakes out...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sc flier
Don't forget the option to book a Nights & Flights award for 60K - 70K Starpoints if you'd like a discount price on a refundable 5th Night Free award.

sc flier:

Can you elaborate on this scheme a little bit more for me? What do you mean by refundable?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
sc flier:

Can you elaborate on this scheme a little bit more for me? What do you mean by refundable?
With Nights & Flights, you have to book a 5-night hotel stay at a Cat3 or Cat4 property. If you later decide not to use that stay, you can reschedule it (if availability exists and you abide by any change/cancellation deadlines) or you can cancel it altogether. If you cancel the hotel portion, the points for the hotel portion (20K - 30K) of the N&F award are redeposited into your account.

From the N&F T&Cs:
Travel Award Change & Cancel Policies

It is the member's responsibility to change or cancel any flight arrangements made for this award.

If hotel availability allows a date change on the Free Night Award reservation for a Nights & Flights award, the Nights & Flights award dates may be changed.

No Starpoints will be refunded for any portion of the Nights & Flights award's free nights not stayed at the property. Members who elect to stay fewer nights than the required 5 nights stay for the Nights & Flights award offer should advise the hotel at check-in to avoid any early departure charges.

Nights & Flights awards may be canceled. If a Nights & Flights award is canceled, the member will only receive a Starpoint credit of 20,000 for a Category 3 and 30,000 for a Category 4 Travel Award. The 40,000-point airline transfer, plus the 10,000-point bonus from Starwood Preferred Guest, will remain as airline miles and cannot be returned to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest account.

Guest will not receive Starpoints or airline miles for their reservation; therefore, a Nights & Flights Award stay does not qualify as an eligible stay toward earning elite level or toward any promotions requiring nights or stays.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sc flier
With Nights & Flights, you have to book a 5-night hotel stay at a Cat3 or Cat4 property. If you later decide not to use that stay, you can reschedule it (if availability exists and you abide by any change/cancellation deadlines) or you can cancel it altogether. If you cancel the hotel portion, the points for the hotel portion (20K - 30K) of the N&F award are redeposited into your account.

From the N&F T&Cs:
Travel Award Change & Cancel Policies

It is the member's responsibility to change or cancel any flight arrangements made for this award.

If hotel availability allows a date change on the Free Night Award reservation for a Nights & Flights award, the Nights & Flights award dates may be changed.

No Starpoints will be refunded for any portion of the Nights & Flights award's free nights not stayed at the property. Members who elect to stay fewer nights than the required 5 nights stay for the Nights & Flights award offer should advise the hotel at check-in to avoid any early departure charges.

Nights & Flights awards may be canceled. If a Nights & Flights award is canceled, the member will only receive a Starpoint credit of 20,000 for a Category 3 and 30,000 for a Category 4 Travel Award. The 40,000-point airline transfer, plus the 10,000-point bonus from Starwood Preferred Guest, will remain as airline miles and cannot be returned to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest account.

Guest will not receive Starpoints or airline miles for their reservation; therefore, a Nights & Flights Award stay does not qualify as an eligible stay toward earning elite level or toward any promotions requiring nights or stays.
Thank you!!!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
deleted

Last edited by david-alexis; Jun 14, 2010 at 1:44 pm Reason: figured it out
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by david-alexis
I cannot convert my *points online for some reason, and when I call the SPG CSR, they say they can only assure me that 40K point=50K AA miles.
Can I go ahead with the conversion and AA will add the 35% without me signing up for any offers?
Yes, I called up AA as my wife did not receive the email. It is not targeted nor do you need to sign up. The rep. did elaborate that the June 30th deadline date applied to when the hotel partners actually made the request to convert the points to AA so for example if Starwood received your request on June 29th and didn't make the transfer to AA until July 1st, you'd be out of luck with the 25/35% bonus.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Worth mentioning that you could transfer SPG->AA for the 35% bonus, then turn around and transfer those into HHonors...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Awesome, thanks for posting this; I had not yet opened the email from AA.

This is perfect ! I was planning to transfer some SPG and Diners points to AA this year to clinch MM status and this promo reduces the # of Starwood points that need to be sacrificed to that cause.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dhacker
From the Terms and Conditions:
Nights & Flights points transferred to an airline just look like regular hotel points on the receiving (airline) end. There's no way for the airline to know that it was a N&F based transfer and not a regular points-only transfer. Confirmed this with the SPG PLT Concierge desk last night setting up my N&F booking with a transfer to US for 50% bonus.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
So what's the difference?

Transfer 40k SPG to AA & you get 50k AA +35% bonus

Or

Book Night and flights for 60k
40k SPG becomes 50k deposit at AA
20k used for hotel. Cancel hotel and get 20k refund

Either way, don't you spend 40k spg for 50k aa?

Doesn't it work out the same if you are going to cancel the res. anyway?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by newlin99
Doesn't it work out the same if you are going to cancel the res. anyway?
Yes. Some people just want N&F so they can take advantage of the effective reduced hotel rate, in addition to the bonus on miles.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rrgg
Yes. Some people just want N&F so they can take advantage of the effective reduced hotel rate, in addition to the bonus on miles.
Exactly. Category 4 properties go from 10K/night to 6K with N&F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.