Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by osutraveler
Trip to Machu Pichu:
We're going to take the easy way out and take the train to Aguas Calientes from Ollantaytambo and probably spend one night in in Aguas Calientes so we can get up to Machu Picchu ealy. What is the best way to get to the train station from the hotel?

Activites around Tambo del Inka
Are there activities around the hotel (hiking, kayaking, etc)?
What activities do you recommend around the Sacred Valley?
Best way to the Ollantaytambo train station is via taxi. Taxi is relatively cheap in Peru.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any update on the best way to reach this hotel from the Cusco airport? I don't need anything fancy, just economical and decent (like a taxi). I'm probably also interested in hiring a driver for a day trip in the Sacred Valley.

And does anyone have an email address for this hotel? Surprisingly, spg.com does not include it.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This is the info that I provided in an earlier link... I can't recommend this guy enough. He was great!!

The driver that we used in the Sacred Valley is Sabino Chirinos and his email address is [email protected]. Just mention that you got his name from guests at the Tambo who he took to Maras, Moray and Chinchero. He speaks English and will work with you on price. He offered to do pickups from the Cusco airport and he lives near the Tambo in Urubamba, so I'm sure he'll be available for car service in and around the Sacred Valley. We wanted to see the countryside, but didn't want to pay the Tambo tour rates ($150 pp), so Sabino was a great option for us.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
And does anyone have an email address for this hotel? Surprisingly, spg.com does not include it.

Thanks!
This is the email - [email protected] I used to contact them and was promptly replied. If you need the manager's email, PM me.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
I will be going there in Oct of this year.

Also when I booked I noticed that on the *wood site, another property is opening up in Cuzco in June of 2011!

Lots of options for Peru?

Quick question for my trip to Tambo, I am a HHDiamond as well as Marriott Silver & *wood Gold, for two nights in Lima there are three options:

#1 Double Tree (Plenty of HH points, and a current promo)
#2 JW Marriott (Some points but would have to burn and spend some cash and earn point that I really am not interested in collecting
#3 Sheraton (Low redeption rate, but hate burning the most valueable currency)

Now i realize this answer depends on each persons earning ability, quantity and long term goals, but which property offers the best quality, value for redemption, breakfast options and distance to airport?

I have three rooms for two nights I am booking prior to my stay at the Tambo.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by tasnam
Quick question for my trip to Tambo, I am a HHDiamond as well as Marriott Silver & *wood Gold, for two nights in Lima there are three options:

#1 Double Tree (Plenty of HH points, and a current promo)
#2 JW Marriott (Some points but would have to burn and spend some cash and earn point that I really am not interested in collecting
#3 Sheraton (Low redeption rate, but hate burning the most valueable currency)
Thoughts?
I stayed overnight at the Sheraton before going to Cusco. It's an OK property in downtown, not a good area of town, but alright for an overnight stay.

On the return, stayed a 2 nights at the JW Marriott and loved the hotel, it's the best property in Lima. I'd stay here over the Sheraton any time. We used points for the stay and got upgraded to a huge suite and had Lounge access as a platinum, same benefits if the points come from a platinum account.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Tambo is a great property !

Had a Fabulous 4 day at this Luxury Resort on C&P. It was the perfect Hotel as a staging for Machu Picchu. The SPA & Swimming pool alone would entice me to return again. Breakfast in the morning on the outside Patio overlooking the river and mountains was just beautiful.

Check-in was fast, professional, and efficient. Everyone was very friendly and responsive with any requests/needs. The staff helped me feel welcome throughout my stay. SPG benefits were readily recognized and granted (The Hotel was still new and not fully booked. YMMV)

Spent the first 2 days Touring Pisac, the nearby Ruins, and Salt mines. Then went by train to Aguas Caliente to see Machu picchu for 2 days. (Left most of my luggage at the hotel except for my backpack) Then returned to Tambo for the last 2 days to veg out. It’s the perfect way to finish since there is really nothing to see in Urubamba.

There were questions about Taxis from/to Cuzco. I did the Cheapo way using "collectivas" to the Hotel and the Expensive way by private taxi to the Airport, which cost me 12 soldes and 80 soldes respectively. I have this business card from the driver I used. He works as a subcontractor to the Hotel and owns his car (new model). He does a lot of trips from Hotel to Cuzco/Airport and v.v.

Taxi/Tours Contact

Bedroom

Living Room

Outise my Room. River and Mountain is on the right side.

SPA & Pool - Looking from the pool outside. Half is outside and half is inside. Swimming outside at night and seing all the stars twinkle brightly is a sight! (there is NO pollution) There is also a Sauna room with showers and lockers along the lines of the IC Stockholm SPA.

Last edited by lesenok; Aug 31, 2010 at 6:17 pm
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, lesenok.

I'm staying at the hotel later this week as a Gold on a C&P rez. What's the food and bev situation? I presume it's expensive at the hotel, but I recall somebody saying there were nearby restaurants.

How long is the ride to the airport? I've heard an hour, and I've also heard longer. The driver I hired to pick me up in at the airport also wants 80 soles, so that must be some kind of standard price. I'm guessing you can negotiate "on the spot" for a slightly cheaper cab ride, but that price seemed fair to me, so I opted for the convenience.

BTW, are there any worthwhile opportunities to use points at the hotel? No executive lounge or anything, right?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:42 pm

The food & bev in the hotel restaurant is decent but a little expensive. Everything is priced in dollars & includes 10% svc chg. Main courses can be beef or chicken or seafood and range in price from $20-30. I found the portions to be small. There are many local restaurants outside that can be had for $10-12. Lots of Chicken/Steak dishes w/Rice. Frankly, I went mostly for Pizzas & Hamburgers in town since the local dishes didnt appeal to me.

The ride to the Airport is normally ~ 45-60 mins. You can bargain with taxi drivers. For example, the 80 soles price is a Hotel based price. But if you go outside the Hotel to the taxi stand near the the Bus terminal and bargain, it can be 40-50 soles. BTW, if you use the Hotel's exclusive car service to the Airport, it is $80 !

I dont know if they have an EX Lounge there as I did not ask.

Last edited by lesenok; Aug 31, 2010 at 9:09 pm
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Lesenok,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Where did you stay in Auguas Caliente?

We are still undecided.

thanks
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lesenok
The food & bev in the hotel restaurant is decent but a little expensive. Everything is priced in dollars & includes 10% svc chg.
Sounds like a typical Starwood hotel.

I'd like to at least try breakfast, but my guess is that I will be somewhat appalled by the pricing.

Originally Posted by tasnam
Lesenok,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Where did you stay in Auguas Caliente?

We are still undecided.

thanks
I booked the Terazzas del Inka. Unless you're willing to pay several hundred dollars for luxury there, the choices seem mediocre at best. At least I'm only paying US$40, and it seems adequate for a night.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Sounds like a typical Starwood hotel.

I'd like to at least try breakfast, but my guess is that I will be somewhat appalled by the pricing.
Actually, their breakfast was pretty good. Buffet style, fresh fruit, cereal, cold cuts, scrambled eggs/bacon. Much better than their dinner for the value.

tasnam -- I stayed at the Pirwa Hostels. Private rooms w/Hot Showers & Breakfast included from $20/night. You really need to lower your expectations with most hostels. Its situated in the center of Aguas Calientes and close to the Buses that you pay to get you up to MP. From the Hostel you will be able to visit the Santuary in the early mornings hours (5-6am) and enjoy a stunning sunrise. In one day, I saw clouds, sunrise, sunshine, and Rain!

The chic Santuary Hotel is really overpriced. I took a look and was not impressed. Save your $$ for the Tambo.

You can book your room online at www.pirwahostelscusco.com & they will meet and greet you at the train station upon request. Otherwise, you will likely get lost getting there.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Not a top hotel yet

We stayed as a family in two junior suite rooms for 4 nights. Sadly while it has great promise it has yet to reach it - perhaps it won't from how I see the way they manage things. There seemed to be very little communication between SPG and the hotel that worked. I would if I was returning re check the reservation and the price charged. What I was quoted was increased in one of my rooms reservation confirmation. I would also reconfirm your status before you arrive. They had no reference of the gold SPG which was odd considering that is how I booked the rooms. A request for a river view went unnoticed as well and one of our junior suites rooms enjoyed a view of a construction site (appalling considering the hotel was at 20% occupancy). A tip would be to request a room with a balcony (ground floor) on the side of the hotel that the restaurant is in. Sadly while the "butler" suggested he book us into the hotel restaurant sitting near the fire what happened was we were beside the door to the kitchen and comically no other people were actually in the restaurant. The pool is also on the cold side which would be appeased with a hot tub - but that is reserved for the spa clients - unless you get special permission. Oddly we had a number (4) phone calls from 4 in the morning that woke us up. Glitches in the wake up call system manually manned that was more than annoying. Management is still focused it seems on the notion of what the hotel will run like when it is full. In contrast The Sanctuary at MP was a surprise and run very well. I had expected to pay simply for the great location. What we found was that it achieved that seamless efficiency that was welcomed.
On the plus side of the Tambo del Inka there are some fantastic open spaces that will get better with more guests. A couple of good restaurants are in town to take the edge off of the dining room. The pisco sours are excellent. Urubamba is a great location to enjoy the beautiful, exciting Sacred Valley.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I completely agree with imm2b, there is no comparison between the Sheraton and Marriott. The Marriott location is perfect for tourists because it's clean and safe. Lima isn't a fantastic city, but there's at least good restaurants and shopping near the Marriott
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and I just completed a completely enjoyable 2 night stay at the Tambo. We booked cash & points, and it was a steal at that price, especially because the hotel included the excellent breakfast buffet in the rate.

The hotel is very plush. It's an architectural gem, and you can tell little expense was spared in designing and decorating the hotel in "modern Inka" style. The rooms are certainly 5-star in every regard (especially if you get one with a deck overlooking the river), with the possible exception of the somewhat odd shower/tub one-room combo (overall, the bathrooms are nice too, though). The staff, while perhaps still "green," are eager to serve. Since occupancy rates are still low, the effect is sometimes comic: like the server who watched over us at breakfast, making sure I got new silverware every time I got up to grab an item from the buffet.

I'd echo the minor complaint about the pool. Pretty indooor/outdoor design, but not entirely functional in the Sacred Valley's typically cool (60s F) weather. We didn't realize the downstairs hot tubs were reserved for spa guests (more than $40 per visit), and plunked ourselves in it. Eventually, a staff member politely came by and told us the rules: they didn't kick us out, but obviously we couldn't return without paying. I think the hotel would be wise to change these rules, as few rational folk will pay $40+ just to use a hot tub. As there is otherwise little to do at the hotel -- and in Urubamba in general -- it would be a smart move.

There is complimentary tea (including the famous coca tea) all day long in the lobby, and a free computer room nearby. The computer room has a very convenient bank ATM, which are not as prevalent in Peru as some other countries. BTW, if you need money at the Cusco airport, go the departure area to avoid the "globalnet" machines which seem to tack on extra surcharges.

The hotel is attractively and conveniently sited right in town, along a river and just a couple of blocks from the main square. I understand they knocked down an old hotel to build it. There's little of interest in Urubamba for tourists, except an excellent (and fairly expensive) ceramics factory and several great restaurants. For value, I recommend eating at La Papa on the square; 30 soles ($11) for a gourmet, 3-course meal for either lunch or dinner (just ask for the menu del dia). Otherwise, the top restaurant selections on tripadvisor are accurate. I did not see a dinner menu at the hotel, but I am certain it is extremely expensive by Peruvian standards and that, from a value perspective, it's smart to walk a couple minutes to the nearby restaurants. The bar menu, for example, featured $13 cocktails (twice the price you'd pay in a typical high-end Peruvian restaurant).

Urubamba is in the heart of the Sacred Valley, which is definitely worth at least 2 nights on your way to or from Machu Picchu. Indeed, I would suggest more time in the Sacred Valley than in Cusco -- especially if you're staying at this delightful hotel. One thing to consider, though, is that you'll need transport during your stay in Urubamba (as I said, there's nothing really to see right in Urubamba, most Sacred Vallley sights are 20 to 60 minutes away), and I might try to find a driver before you arrived. I presume the hotel would help you find a driver (hopefully at a market price), or you could randomly hail passing cabs on the main street and "negotiate." That said, I think you'll be happier finding a recommended driver in advance. Pisac, Moray, Ollanta, the salt terraces, Chinchero are all worth seeing. Ollanta, where the trains leave for Machu Picchu, is about 20 minutes away by taxi (a more convenient location than Urubamba, but there's no "Luxury Collection" hotel there. ). I saw no independent travel/tour agencies in Urubamba. I guess you could also get around by bus, but it's hard to imagine many flyertalkers taking this route, given the affordability of private taxis and tours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.