Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discover America® Daily Getaways: SPG offer gone (updated title)

Discover America® Daily Getaways: SPG offer gone (updated title)

Old Apr 28, 10, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by miles4CDG View Post
It would seem that it's not possible to buy the max of 5 of the 10K sets into one SPG account, given the points purchase limit of 20K/year:

SPG Buy Points FAQ:
https://buy.points.com/spg/buy_faq.jsp#7
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
That will not be an issue with this offer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Awesome! Thanks, William!

I was planning to buy 20K points under the 20% off promo. Now will try for these Monday AM. ^^
Old Apr 28, 10, 2:54 pm

I assume people will go for the 10K packs, because this is a great value and more is better, however, if they run out of 10K packs, the 7K pack is actually a slightly better cent per starpoint. 1.42 cpm vs. 1.45 cpm...

@Starwood Lurker: I assume its 5 total sets per account, not 5 of each type of set per account, correct?

That is, one couldn't buy 5x7,000 SPG sets and also 5x10,000 SPG sets?
Old Apr 28, 10, 3:06 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by awpeters View Post
I assume people will go for the 10K packs, because this is a great value and more is better, however, if they run out of 10K packs, the 7K pack is actually a slightly better cent per starpoint. 1.42 cpm vs. 1.45 cpm...

@Starwood Lurker: I assume its 5 total sets per account, not 5 of each type of set per account, correct?

I wish there were more than 400 of them and that this was possible because this is exactly what I would LOVE to do.
Old Apr 28, 10, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond

Yeah, I noticed that too. Kinda strange...
Old Apr 28, 10, 3:26 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
[email protected]Starwood Lurker: I assume its 5 total sets per account, not 5 of each type of set per account, correct?

The only information I have says that 5 sets per purchase are the limit. You might want to confirm with Discover America whether or not multiple separate purchases violate that limit, but with a deal as good as this, I'm not sure anyone will be able to do what you are suggesting here.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 28, 10, 3:33 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
From past experience does anyone know if you have to use an AMEX?
Old Apr 28, 10, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden View Post
From past experience does anyone know if you have to use an AMEX?
From the FAQ at the bottom of the website:
"Who is eligible to participate?

Any resident of the U.S. who is 18 years or older may purchase a fixed-price offer with any valid credit card. To bid in the auction, you must be a legal resident of the U.S. who is 18 years or older (or 21 in some cases) and a holder of any valid American Express® Card."

Also see the T&Cs right next to the FAQ link.
Old Apr 28, 10, 4:02 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Thank you, the prominent terms and conditions on the deal all relate to SPG so I missed that.
Old Apr 28, 10, 7:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Originally Posted by sc flier View Post

Any resident of the U.S. who is 18 years or older may purchase a fixed-price offer with any valid credit card. To bid in the auction, you must be a legal resident of the U.S. who is 18 years or older (or 21 in some cases) and a holder of any valid American Express® Card."

Also see the T&Cs right next to the FAQ link.
Thanks, guess I'm scratched then.

I was hoping for 4 x 7k ($400USD) to redeem at the Sheraton ANC rather than pay $212+ per night ($848USD plus taxes) in July 2010.
Old Apr 28, 10, 7:54 pm
Suspended

This is very OT and I apologize upfront.

I was just curious about post #2 from FatManInNYC. I always wonder why the second poster of a new thread chooses to quote the entire first post. Isn't it obvious that you are replying to post #1?

I could understand if someone was quoting a portion of the first post, but if you quote the entire first post...isn't it self-evident what you are replying to? If you are post #2, by definition you are replying to post #1, no?

Old Apr 28, 10, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
Thanks, guess I'm scratched then.

I was hoping for 4 x 7k ($400USD) to redeem at the Sheraton ANC rather than pay $212+ per night ($848USD plus taxes) in July 2010.
Thanks for mentioning that - I hadn't thought of that. I will be in ANC in June and this is def cheaper.

BTW, that gets you 5 nights. Nights+Flights might be decent for this too. 60k and 50k that you can use for 2 tix to ANC from the CONUS. 60k costs 870 as compared to $400. I think $235/ticket is worth it for ANC.
Old Apr 29, 10, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Originally Posted by miles4CDG View Post
Awesome! Thanks, William!

I was planning to buy 20K points under the 20% off promo. Now will try for these Monday AM. ^^
Agreed. I was planning on buying 5500 points for $154 under the 20% promo to redeem for cash and points at a category three hotel in Europe for two nights. That would have meant paying $122 for one night in a room that is going for $350. If I can get 7000 points for the even less money, it's an even better deal ($95 for the room with Starpoints left over). Too bad I will be traveling at the time the auction starts. Hopefully I can use the computer at the airport lounge in Vienna or maybe something will be left over by the time I get to my hotel around 1 p.m. ET.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Apr 29, 10 at 4:50 am Reason: added details
Old Apr 29, 10, 2:54 pm

How are they going to verify that the hotel you book with these points fit into the category required by the purchase? For example, from the terms it seems like 7000 points for $100 can only be used for a stay at cat 3 hotel. (the 10000 points at cat 4, etc.)

Can we be certain these points won't be restricted to the cat of hotel and for use in the USA?
Old Apr 29, 10, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by uiucsb View Post
How are they going to verify that the hotel you book with these points fit into the category required by the purchase? For example, from the terms it seems like 7000 points for $100 can only be used for a stay at cat 3 hotel. (the 10000 points at cat 4, etc.)

Can we be certain these points won't be restricted to the cat of hotel and for use in the USA?
You might want to take a more careful read of the terms. They're not saying you can only use points from the 7K package on a cat 3; they're saying one of the 7K packages is enough for one free night at a cat 3.
Old Apr 29, 10, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer View Post
You might want to take a more careful read of the terms. They're not saying you can only use points from the 7K package on a cat 3; they're saying one of the 7K packages is enough for one free night at a cat 3.
Thanks. I re-read everything and agree that the word "can" is used multiple times and not the word "must". The info page says,

"With this offer, buy 10,000 SPG® Starpoints® for only $145 - that’s more than 50% off the normal price - and redeem them for a 1-night stay at any Category 4 Starwood® hotel, which includes many recently renovated Sheraton® hotels and resorts."

https://dailygetaways.discoverameric...e-3e1acea2ed54

The, "with this offer, buy.... and redeem them for a 1-night stay at any cat 4 hotel" is what put me in the wrong mindset.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: