Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discover America® Daily Getaways: SPG offer gone (updated title)

Discover America® Daily Getaways: SPG offer gone (updated title)

Old May 3, 10, 11:47 am

I expected people to be upset after this, because I've tried the "AMEX Daily Wish" program before, which is similar. It can be impossible to get any of those deals, so I understand feeling frustrated or somehow left out.
Old May 3, 10, 11:58 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Phrequent View Post
Amen Bro!!!

Back end info tells me it is a Amex developed-app. Doesn't matter - don't piss off your best customers.

Hyatt all the way. Love the suite upgrades.
Some people get lucky.
Some don't.
And others whine.
Old May 3, 10, 12:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, AS MVPG75, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
I expected people to be upset after this, because I've tried the "AMEX Daily Wish" program before, which is similar. It can be impossible to get any of those deals, so I understand feeling frustrated or somehow left out.
Same here. I had never been able to get through on any of these AMEX offers, and I knew there was a good chance I would not be able to on this one either. To improve my chances, I started refreshing the page a little before my computer's clock showed 9:59:30 AM. The offer to purchase actually came up before 10:00:00 AM, and my first attempt was unsuccessful. I got what I wanted, and I am sure I would have been frustrated if I had not, especially if some of the experiences reported here had happened to me. However, I don't think I would have been pissed off at AMEX of *wood. YPMV.
Old May 3, 10, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by uiucsb View Post
I don't see how that helped you. I had the same thing, but if you can't get past the first checkout button click, having your spg# on your clipboard doesn't ever matter. It also doesn't help you with the odd cc form rules some of us unpleasantly discovered.
It helped expedite the process with multiple screens open. Then I could take my time with the checkout screen. Twice the checkout screen gave me the "Address doesn't match that of credit card" used a different CC and it fixed the problem. Hopefully these are good datapoints for the 16 people who splurge on the Four Seasons deals tomorrow.
Old May 3, 10, 12:44 pm

Compared to other similar situations (e.g. concert tickets), this promo was a piece of cake.

I started refreshing at 9:59, but then a couple of coworkers ducked in and distracted me to the point that I didn't notice exactly when the button changed to add the word "Buy". Then I made the mistake of trying the 10k first, delaying my attempt at 7k, but I still was able to try again and successfully get 5*4k at 10:04. I thought that was it, but due to the strange "in someone else's cart" language, I randomly decide to keep refreshing the 1*7k option. Got through on that 3 times (bought successfully twice), the last time being at about 10:20. And even at that point there were potentially still some 4k packages left to be had.

Not sure why anyone who was putting in any real effort would have been completely shut out.

Edited to add: I was only using one browser window the entire time.
Old May 3, 10, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
I was in the Austrian Airlines lounge at VIE. Clicked on the 7K at 10:00:30 and got the message that they were gone, same with the 10K at 10:02 but got the 4K (x5) at maybe 10:04 or so (the connection was really slow). Everything went through fine but I had to run to catch my flight, so I couldn't stick around for retries (although it seems like it was worth it, reading stories of how some unlucky people were kicked out and how others got things as late as 10:20). So 20K points for $300. Not quite as good as the other two deals, but not too bad.
Old May 3, 10, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; National Exe; Avis Preferred
Has anyone actually been able to confirm we'll receive more then 20K points?

SPG limits *wood purchase of points to 20K per year. . .

Lurker mentioned this previously and I just wonder if anyone confirmed . . could be very bad news for those the purchased more then 20K. . .

I got 24K so I guess will find out in about 5 days whether I get all or just the 20K max.
Old May 3, 10, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Hvanv0405 View Post

Lurker mentioned this previously and I just wonder if anyone confirmed . . could be very bad news for those the purchased more then 20K. . .

I got 24K so I guess will find out in about 5 days whether I get all or just the 20K max.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
That will not be an issue with this offer.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 3, 10, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Hvanv0405 View Post

Why would it be bad news? We'd just get a refund. An besides, if there WAS a 20,000 pt purchase limit why would they allow you to buy more than that?
Old May 3, 10, 4:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; National Exe; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dhacker View Post
sry my mistake, guess that wasn't "lurker" who made the original post. .but it was clarifed afterward and I hadn't seen that update.

Thanks for the good news
Old May 3, 10, 7:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
At 10:01 a.m. purchased 5 x 10,000. ^
Old May 3, 10, 9:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Since you can redeem the points at any of the 940 or so Starwood hotels worldwide, who will actually redeem those bought points and really "Discover America"?
Old May 3, 10, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
Since you can redeem the points at any of the 940 or so Starwood hotels worldwide, who will actually redeem those bought points and really "Discover America"?
Yeah, that's kind of an interesting point. With the occasional exception of Hawaii, I rarely use my SPG points in the USA. I wouldl think that would be the typical pattern of most flyertalkers, and I'd bet the vast majority of winners today were flyertalkers.

That said, the majority of their hotels ARE in the US, so I guess that's good enough to participate in this promo!
Old May 4, 10, 8:39 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I would think that would be the typical pattern of most flyertalkers, and I'd bet the vast majority of winners today were flyertalkers.
The FTers who reported their purchases earlier in this thread only represent about 15% of the total points sold. That leaves about 85% that either are FTers who didn't report their purchases to this thread or aren't FTers.

It would be hard (or expensive) for Starwood to sell points and then monitor exactly where they are spent. But the Radisson offer on Friday is for a certificate good in the US, Canada or Mexico. (Only 50 will be available.) They could at least have offered certificates that are good only in the US.
Old May 4, 10, 1:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, AS MVPG75, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
My points posted sometime this afternoon:

+35000 DISCOVER AMERICA GETAWAY (05/04/2010)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: