Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkm024
Actually, over in Hilton-land we too can get endless free nights. The promotion was limited to three free nights in the first quarter, but for the second quarter it's not capped. Although Hilton does require four stays for each night, unlike Starwood they are:
  • Valid any day of the week
  • Valid at any hotel - no category limitations
  • Valid for an entire year
I believe HHonors also allows you the option to earn the free night based on "nights" stayed, while for SPG it seems to be based only on "stays".
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Jet Airways Platinum,
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Just want to take a moment and thank William and Thyetus for putting up with all of us over the last month or two as we anquished over this promo. Regardless of how much I like/dislike this promo, I appreciate their endless efforts here.^
+ 1. Thank you Lurkers.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:15 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mario33
I believe HHonors also allows you the option to earn the free night based on "nights" stayed, while for SPG it seems to be based only on "stays".
In fact, whilst the hilton promo offer both stays and nights it also has an advantage.

You can redeem any category (unlike spg) and redeeming the certificate gives you a "stay credit" towards elite status, something spg does not do.

Both hilton or hyatt promos go further than spg. That alone is fairly sad when you think how far ahead spg was just a few months ago (vs Hilton who typically never had promotions, or Hyatt who tended to be somewhat shy).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Terms and Conditions

http://www.spgpromos.com/freeweekends/tc.cfm

REGISTRATION AND EARNING: Member must register online at SPG.com/freeweekends by June 30, 2010, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. Member can earn one (1) Free Weekend Night Award with every three (3) eligible stays at any property that participates in the SPG® program between May 1, 2010, and July 31, 2010. A list of non-SPG participating properties can be found at SPG.com/t&c under section 5.1.

ELIGIBLE STAY: An eligible stay to earn a Free Weekend Night Award is defined as one or more consecutive nights within the earning dates at any of the more than 940 Starwood Preferred Guest® properties, paying a qualifying rate in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-ins or checkouts that occur and post to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest account. Multiple rooms charged to the same member during the same stay will only count as one stay. SPG properties and a description of qualifying rates can be found at SPG.com/t&c under program terms and conditions: See Section 4B.4 for the complete definition of Eligible Rates, but note that certain pre-paid rooms where the booking is made through a third party (including but not limited to travelocity.com, expedia.com and orbitz.com) are not Eligible Rates and do not earn Starpoints®.

AWARD: Each Free Weekend Night Award must be redeemed by calling the Customer Call Center and mentioning Award ID 3FWFN. An earned Free Weekend Night Award can be redeemed for a future stay in a standard room at Starwood Preferred Guest Category 1–6 properties between May 7, 2010, and December 19, 2010, for one Friday, Saturday or Sunday night except for hotels in select countries in the Middle East and Africa. Redemption will be for a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night in the following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Djibouti, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen. The Pine Cliff Residences Albufeira, Portugal, is excluded from redemption as they do not have standard rooms. There are no limits to how many Free Weekend Night Awards can be earned, and they may be used on consecutive weekend nights for one single or double occupancy standard room only, including the cost of the hotel room and room tax. Free Weekend Night Awards are not transferable, even among members of the same household, and may not be given as a gift. However, a member may use two or more Free Weekend Night Awards on the same night for additional rooms as long as all rooms are under the member's name and the member stays in one of the rooms and pays for all the rooms. Free Weekend Night Awards are subject to room availability. Free Weekend Night Awards will be credited to the member's account within 3–5 days of every third stay posting to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest account. Free Weekend Night Awards have no cash value and are provided as part of the SPG hotel loyalty program.

All promotions are subject to the Starwood Preferred Guest program terms and conditions, which are subject to change without notice and can be found at SPG.com. Offer is applicable to individual members only and is not available to groups or Starwood employees. Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors. Starwood reserves the right to discontinue this offer at any time. To update your communication preferences or learn about our privacy practices, view our Privacy Statement on SPG.com/privacy, or call 1-877-782-0071 in the U.S. and Canada or +353-21-4930474 in all other countries to access our privacy information line. Starpoints, SPG, Preferred Guest, Sheraton, Four Points, W, Aloft, The Luxury Collection, Le Méridien, Element, Westin, St. Regis and their respective logos are the trademarks of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., or its affiliates. Void where prohibited by law. © 2010 Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Apr 16, 2010 at 7:23 am
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by hdawg
Glad to hear the announcement, but I'm a little bit disappointed by it. a 50% increase in requirements over last year.
4 minutes in and we have our first complaint!

Thanks to SPG for this promotion!!!^
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
FAQs

http://www.spgpromos.com/freeweekends/faq_cs.cfm

Can anyone register for this promotion?
Any Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) member may register at SPG.com/freeweekends by June 30, 2010, 11:59 p.m. EDT. Non-members may join the program and register simultaneously, also at SPG.com/freeweekends.

Is there a limit to the number of Free Weekend Night Awards a member can earn?
No. Awards are unlimited and will be earned for every three (3) qualifying stays at over 940 SPG properties across nine hotel brands. A list of Starwood hotels that do not participate in SPG can be found in section 5.1 of the SPG Terms and Conditions at SPG.com/T&C.

If a member stays at a hotel for three consecutive nights, would he or she earn a Free Weekend Night Award?
No. A Free Weekend Night Award is earned for three (3) eligible stays. An "Eligible Stay" is one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property, whether or not the member checked out and checked back in, during which the member paid an Eligible Rate and presented his or her Preferred Guest number at check-in. An "Eligible Night" is each night during an Eligible Stay.

How soon will Free Weekend Night Awards show up in a member's account?
A Free Weekend Night Award will credit to a member's Starwood Preferred Guest account within 3–5 days after the third eligible stay posts to the account.

How does a member redeem a Free Weekend Night Award?
To redeem a Free Weekend Night Award, SPG members in the U.S. or Canada should call 888-625-4988. Elite members should call their dedicated Gold or Platinum customer service lines. Members residing outside the U.S. and Canada should contact the SPG Customer Contact Center for their region; advance reservations are required, and all members should ask for Award ID 3FWFN.

Is there an expiration date for Free Weekend Night Awards?
Yes. Free Weekend Night Awards can be used through December 19, 2010.

For what days of the week can a member redeem a Free Weekend Night Award?
Members may redeem their Free Weekend Night Award for any Friday, Saturday or Sunday except in select Middle East and African countries where redemption will be for any Thursday, Friday or Saturday: Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Djibouti, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

Where can a member use a Free Weekend Night Award?
A Free Weekend Night Award is redeemable for a single or double occupancy standard room at all SPG hotels except for the exceptions listed below. A list of Starwood hotels that do not participate in SPG can be found in section 5.1 of the SPG Terms and Conditions at SPG.com/T&C. There are no blackout dates or capacity controls, but stays are subject to standard room availability. Free Weekend Night Awards cannot be used at the following Category 7 properties:*

* The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, Punta de Mita, Mexico
* Sunset Key Guest Cottages, a Westin Resort, Key West, FL, USA
* The St. Regis New York, USA
* Santa Marina Resort & Villas, Mykonos, Greece
* Mystique, Santorini, Greece
* Hotel Cala di Volpe, Costa Smeralda, Porto Cervo, Italy
* Cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort, Porto Cervo, Italy
* Hotel Pitrizza, Costa Smeralda, Porto Cervo, Italy
* Hotel Romazzino, Costa Smeralda, Porto Cervo, Italy
* The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, Spain
* Hotel President Wilson, Geneva, Switzerland
* The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia
* Le Méridien Bora Bora, French Polynesia
* The St. Regis Bali Resort, Indonesia
* W Retreat & Spa-Maldives, Maldives
* Pine Cliff Residence, Albufeira, Portugal

*Additionally the Pine Cliff Residence, Albufeira, Portugal (Category 6) does not have standard rooms; hence, a Free Weekend Night Award cannot be redeemed at that property.

Are there any blackout dates or capacity controls on where or when a member can use a Free Weekend Night Award?
There are no blackout dates or capacity controls, but Free Weekend Night Awards are subject to standard room availability. The same inventory of standard rooms is used for paid or regular Starpoints® redemptions, so a Free Weekend Night Award may not be available at hotels that have a limited amount of standard rooms.

Can a member use Starpoints to upgrade his or her Free Weekend Night Award to a better room?
Member may inquire at the hotel as to the availability of an upgrade using Starpoints for Instant Upgrade Awards. However, Free Weekend Night Awards cannot be upgraded online or through customer service ahead of the reservation.

Is a Free Weekend Night Award valid for existing reservations?
Free Weekend Night Awards may not be automatically used in place of an existing paid or other award reservation. Members may call the Customer Contact Center, cancel an existing reservation and attempt to rebook the same stay in order to use a Free Weekend Night Award, but they risk losing availability and may have to pay cancellation fees.

Can an existing reservation count toward earning a Free Weekend Night Award?
Yes, as long as the member is registered for the promotion, the rate is a Starpoints-eligible room rate during the promotion earning dates, and the stay posts to the member's account prior to the promotion ending.

If a member checks in before May 1, 2010, or checks out after July 31, 2010, does the member still earn credit for that stay?
As long as one eligible night occurs during the eligibility earning window (May 1–July 31, 2010), a member would earn a credit toward a Free Weekend Night Award for that stay.

If a member earns more than one Free Weekend Night Award, can the member use them on consecutive dates under one reservation or for separate stays on different weekends?
Yes. Once a member has earned two or more Free Weekend Night Awards, he or she can redeem them consecutively for an entire weekend or separately on different weekends.

Can a member use his or her Free Weekend Night Award as part of a longer stay that has paid nights?
Yes. Free Weekend Night Awards can be used alone or as part of a longer stay.

Can a member use his or her Free Weekend Night Award as part of a longer stay that has other free nights redeemed?
Yes.

Do Free Weekend Night Awards combined with other free nights qualify a member for a fifth-night-free redemption?
No, they do not.

Can a member gift his or her Free Weekend Night Award?
Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift.

What would happen if a member makes a reservation using his or her Free Weekend Night Award and then cancels it? Does the member lose it?
As long as the member cancels the stay in accordance with the hotel's cancellation policy and additional weekends remain in the redemption period (May 7–December 19, 2010), the member may use his or her Free Weekend Night Award on a subsequent weekend up to and including December 19, 2010. However, no-shows and members who cancel outside the hotel's cancellation policy may risk losing their Free Weekend Night Awards and penalties may apply.

Do members earn Starpoints for Free Weekend Night Awards?
While Starpoints may not be earned on any room awards, Starpoints may still be earned on all eligible incidental charges. Please see SPG.com/T&C section 5.1 for a list of eligible incidental charges.

Do members earn a stay credit for a Free Weekend Night Award?
Stay credit is only earned on eligible room rates. Award room rates are not eligible; however, if a member has additional nights at eligible room rates, the member will earn a stay credit.

What if a member does not use some or all of his or her Free Weekend Night Awards by December 19, 2010?
Members forfeit all unused awards. Exceptions to the registration, earning and redemption periods will not be allowed.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:29 am
Suspended

Taketh with one hand = 3 stays to earn a Free night; and

Giveth with the other = 12/19 redeption deadline.

As others have said, better than 'nuthin.

I must congrautlate the powers that be at SPG who have steered a middle course between my disappointment and elation.

Had I not had my summer plans already set, I would be flocking to Hyatt, but since I am spending 9 nights in Japan (4 @ the Park Hyatt Tokyo and 5 at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto) with another long trip over Labor Day at the Marriott Berlin, there is no need for me to go to a Hyatt, nor for me to go out of my way to stay at an SPG property now; therefore, am most definitely canceling my stay at the Starwood property in Kyoto.

As always, however, I appreciate SL I and SL II input and assistance in this forum.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:30 am Reason: Decided to cancel all my SPG stays during the promotion as it just is not worth it, therefore, will not earn a free night!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
4 minutes in and we have our first complaint!

Thanks to SPG for this promotion!!!^
Are you surprised? People have been waiting some time for the announcement - obviously as soon as the details were revealed, those who didn't like the information were going to post their disappointment - particularly if the information concerns a 50% increase in the stay requirement over last year's promo.

Would personally much rather have had a shorter redemption period than the increased stay requirement, but hey, if it suits others then who am I to argue..
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: * A
thanks to William and Thyetus for the post. I would have liked the 2:1 ratio but 3:1 is not making a difference to me this year ^ to spg for a Q2 promo, regardless of my personal usage.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
In the words of Borat: Very Nice!

I joined SPG right as last year's FFN was wrapping up, didn't get a chance to participate. I've been waiting for this one Thank you Lurkers!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
Thanks SPG, better than nothing. But I wonder why is so difficult to beat Hyatt's benchmark. 2:1 for all days of the week. I like SPG, but won't move any Hyatt reservation to SPG in May/June.
Since is not launched yet, why not try to reshape it? 2:1 weekend only (like 2009) or 3:1 all days (still lower than Hyatt) but you must have some info we don't.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by FD1971

Better than nothing, but clearly inferior to Hyatt

Hyatt: 2 stays = 1 free night on all days of the week

SPG: 3 stays = 1 free night, limited to Friday, Saturday or Sunday
Hyatts? If you can find one. Not to mention the higher average cost vs SPG.

I think I know where there's a $65 4 Points. Norwalk CT. Hmmm. Mattress run.

dh
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Hyatts? If you can find one. Not to mention the higher average cost vs SPG.

I think I know where there's a $65 4 Points. Norwalk CT. Hmmm. Mattress run.

dh
the lack of hyatt's and that higher cost is what keeps me from booking anything with them.

might have to take a gander at HH, now
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FD1971
Thyetus, Thanks for posting !!

Better than nothing, but clearly inferior to Hyatt

Hyatt: 2 stays = 1 free night on all days of the week

SPG: 3 stays = 1 free night, limited to Friday, Saturday or Sunday
Well isn't this the free WEEKEND promotion??
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
Different approach

Guys I am looking at this in a whole different way. If *wood loses Plats to the compettion then that just means that upgrades should be easier to achieve. I am sure not going to downgrade anything that is FREE. If you do not like the program then by all means go somewhere Else

Thanks *wood every little bit helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.