Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mrredskin
3 NIGHTS would have been good. 3 STAYS - not so much.
Give us THREE NIGHTS! THREE NIGHTS! THREE NIGHTS! = 1 W/E night!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I was hoping for a promo where every stay would count triple, give me a bonus 5,000 points for each night, and guarantee me the presidential suite after 3 nights. Damn!

Thank you, SPG, for a great opportunity to earn some free nights.

Moreover, thank you for a promotion that will not further grow the bulging elite ranks. ^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: GS - CK
Originally Posted by shinbal
I was hoping for a promo where every stay would count triple, give me a bonus 5,000 points for each night, and guarantee me the presidential suite after 3 nights. Damn!

Thank you, SPG, for a great opportunity to earn some free nights.

Moreover, thank you for a promotion that will not further grow the bulging elite ranks. ^

Dumbo. SPG just carried over all stays from 2009 > 25 as qualifying stays in 2010. Without staying with them much, I've already qualified for 2011! That is equal to or worse than Hyatt's fast track to Diamond.

That said, Hyatt has certainly won me over to their program - for both hotels in the US and abroad. Considering that the typical Park Hyatt rate is $>500USD, I would much rather accrue Hyatt nights faster than can be used anywhere in August than crappy Starwood nights that take longer to earn. The only upside is the December use period, but, well, that really isn't a huge upside.

Thanks for giving me free Plat into 2012, Starwood. Perhaps we will get in bed together again next year at this time. Just don't let another brand stomp on you.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't understand all the complaining.

This promo is equivalent to a 6500 point bonus per stay. Compared to any other promo SPG offers through the entire year, it is far, far superior. Compared to Hyatt, you have a much longer period for redemption (2x as long), and far more hotels to choose from. Yes, you need an extra stay for each night compared with Hyatt, but you are not getting the same thing -- you are getting a night that can be used in more places, and for a much longer period of time. That is easily worth the difference, IMO.

By any measure this seems like a great promo to me.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:46 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by saad
i see your point but i'm not comparing a low end spg property like aloft to a high end hyatt....i'm comparing 5 star sheraton & le méridien properties with high end hyatt properties & there is a huge price difference....

the fact is that hyatt is the us has a good number of properties but outside the us they are very limited....so even though they have a great promo, it won't help if there aren't many properties to earn & redeem rewards at....
But Saad, you also compared Starwood day rates with Hyatt overnight rates.

And it's only in your experience......like I said Kolkata is the opposite (where both hotels are very comparable).

In Delhi, I booked my father into the Hyatt in 3 weeks time at INR 7,200 including taxes. The cheapest Starwood was INR 6,900 excluding taxes (at the Sheraton, the LM was INR 100 more), thus more expensive than the Hyatt.....and as someone from Delhi, you may disagree, but I would far rather be at the Hyatt than at the Sheraton or the LM.

Lastly, I will be in Mumbai soon. Excluding the Four Points, the cheapest Starwood is the Le Royal Meridien which is INR 7,950 (and with taxes, this is INR 8,745 per night). The Hyatt is marginally more at INR 8,800.

Starwood is my preferred brand where possible, however, I would get a lot more value from Hyatt at my destinations in India at the moment.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:00 am

please read my post carefully....i said out of all the cities i will be travelling to in indonesia there are 0 hilton, 2 hyatt & 6 spg properties....i never stated how many there are in the country....i mean if i am travelling to jakarta then what good does a hilton or hyatt in bali do me....
Well as I have told you in other threads, there is both a Hilton and a Hyatt in Bandung, where you are traveling.

Nobody mentioned Bali. So that would be 1 and 3 wouldn't it?

Also, your post says Indonesia. Not "Indonesia where saad is traveling".

Last edited by camsean; Apr 17, 2010 at 7:03 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Historically over the past eight years or so, free night promotions have been quite rare with the exception of Hyatt. Faster Free Nights has been Hyatt's thing for years. So Hyatt is not doing anything different except making elite status much easier to earn.

After the collapse of hotel occupancy and rates in 2009m suddenly Hilton, SPG, Marriott, and IHG offer free night promotions over the past year. And then their promotions are compared against Hyatt.

Hyatt Hotels is still the little kid on the block. There just are not that many Hyatt Hotels at 400 globally with about half in the Hyatt Place and Summerfield Suites brands and those concentrated in the US.

The hotel industry analysts constantly tell hotel revenue managers not to lower hotel rates as rates keep dropping in 2010 after continually dropping since 2008. Hotel industry research studies show maintaining higher room rates and accepting less occupancy still generates higher revenue than lowering room rates and having more guests.

I think the same rationale applies to the loyalty promotions. Hyatt has the best offer with two stays earns one free night, but the other chains do not want to race to the bottom to meet Hyatt's offer. The other chain's do not want to give away that much revenue. The hotel chain's are looking for loyalty and not guests who are just around for the great promotion and then on to the next chain for their great promotion.

At least Hilton and SPG have a free night offer which is one of the most lucrative promotion offers a hotel loyalty program can give members. I like Hyatt's offer, but I really find the limited locations a big restriction to maintaining Hyatt as a primary hotel program. SPG works better for me in California and several other locations.

Hilton brands are all over the place. Their promotion is also a great deal for HHonors members.

All three free night offers are good deals from Hyatt, Hilton, and SPG. The best promotion really depends on your travel pattern. I want free nights from all of them.

Thanks in advance SPG for the free nights of 2010.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Shantanu
But Saad, you also compared Starwood day rates with Hyatt overnight rates.

And it's only in your experience......like I said Kolkata is the opposite (where both hotels are very comparable).

In Delhi, I booked my father into the Hyatt in 3 weeks time at INR 7,200 including taxes. The cheapest Starwood was INR 6,900 excluding taxes (at the Sheraton, the LM was INR 100 more), thus more expensive than the Hyatt.....and as someone from Delhi, you may disagree, but I would far rather be at the Hyatt than at the Sheraton or the LM.

Lastly, I will be in Mumbai soon. Excluding the Four Points, the cheapest Starwood is the Le Royal Meridien which is INR 7,950 (and with taxes, this is INR 8,745 per night). The Hyatt is marginally more at INR 8,800.

Starwood is my preferred brand where possible, however, I would get a lot more value from Hyatt at my destinations in India at the moment.
i did compare hyatt day rates with spg day rates....the cheapest day rate i am getting with hyatt are double of what i am getting at spg properties....

my point is that for me personally the hyatt promo does nothing....i live in delhi so i don't require any hotel stays here....my brother lives in mumbai so most of the time i stay with him while i am there....all my other trips around india have no hyatt properties for me to stay at....
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by camsean
Well as I have told you in other threads, there is both a Hilton and a Hyatt in Bandung, where you are traveling.

Nobody mentioned Bali. So that would be 1 and 3 wouldn't it?

Also, your post says Indonesia. Not "Indonesia where saad is traveling".
please read my post again....it clearly says out of all the places i am travelling to & not the whole country....i've posted it again below....

i will be in indonesia for work & would like to go to bandung & bali as well....but its not certain....my list only had properties in places where i will be for certain over the next couple of months....

i have a lot of travel coming up in may & june....21 stays in total....will be travelling around india, indonesia, malaysia & belgium ....of all the cities i will be in over the next couple of months:

in india there are 0 hilton, 0 hyatt & 9 spg....

in indonesia there are 0 hilton, 2 hyatt & 6 spg....

in malaysia there are 3 hilton, 1 hyatt & 8 spg....

in belgium there are 3 hilton, 0 hyatt & 5 spg....

that gives me a choice of 6 hilton, 3 hyatt & 28 spg properties to choose from....

so hilton might have a free night based on stays & nights, hyatt has a free stay after every 2 stays, but with the large number of spg properties i think for me spg has the best promo this quarter....
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:19 am

My own humble observations:

1. Some folks really need to get a life (probably me included!).

2. Is anyone really surprised a promo coming out of a recession is not as good as a promo in the depths of a recession? Seems logical to me.

3. Hyatt promos are worthless if there's no Hyatt available, which is pretty well everywhere I am travelling this year.

Case in point: anyone try booking Hyatt in Toronto last week? Both full. Same for the downtown *wood properties. Fortunately *wood had a dozen other (and less expensive) options in the area. Nadda for Hyatt.

4. I have quite a few *wood stays planned for May & June. So in my case, this pomo means a bonus free night for stays I am doing anyway. Doesn't cost me one extra cent to get this extra benefit.

Maybe I'll use it on one of the lovely *wood properties in Rome.

After, I can't stay at a Hyatt in Rome, right?

Cheers,
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: SPG
Totally disppointed by this promotion! At least, SPG should maintain what they offered last year: 2 stays = 1 free weekend!

Let's hope SPG will revise the promotion on 1st May.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:26 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
i did compare hyatt day rates with spg day rates....the cheapest day rate i am getting with hyatt are double of what i am getting at spg properties....

my point is that for me personally the hyatt promo does nothing....i live in delhi so i don't require any hotel stays here....my brother lives in mumbai so most of the time i stay with him while i am there....all my other trips around india have no hyatt properties for me to stay at....

Calm down........ Calm down..........

The day rate at the Hyatt was clearly an overnight rate.....no special day rate, just the standard overnight rate. And you listed the day rate as being a Four points! You can't compare 4points to Hyatt.

then i found an inr 2,000 day rate at the 4 points jaipur
Lastly, all I said was that not everyone's experience is the same as yours..... we are all blissfully aware that you had said that it was in your own experience. Now please, take a valium.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calm down........ Calm down..........

The day rate at the Hyatt was clearly an overnight rate.....no special day rate, just the standard overnight rate. And you listed the day rate as being a Four points! You can't compare 4points to Hyatt.
hyatt told me that the day rate was 50% off the regular rack rate so what i listed was the best day rate hyatt had to offer....

i know i listed a great day rate at the 4 points but a day rate at the itc mughal in agra & the sheraton in jaipur are almost half of the day rate offered by hyatt....

once again people, i am not comparing a larger city property to a smaller city property....i am simply saying that in india there are spg properties in smaller cities with great rates....rates that hyatt does not offer, simply because they have very few properties & that too only in the larger cities....in india & a lot of other places in asia i would get much more out of the spg promo than i would out of the hyatt or hilton promo....

Lastly, all I said was that not everyone's experience is the same as yours..... we are all blissfully aware that you had said that it was in your own experience. Now please, take a valium.
i'm calm....no need for the valium....i have been stating all along that this promo works better for me than the hyatt & hilton promos....
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Although not as good as last year I can understand as well with the economy coming back a bit. Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Clearly, this lawyer never signed up for a minor in Marketing...
Im pretty positive that Starwood did not only sign up for a minor and SPG marketing experts decided to do so and not different - they knew about the other promos. Starwood is a global chain whereas FT is pretty much US dominated. FT's posters are not the one and only target group. I am pretty sure that customers in Europe and Asia prefer the current Hilton and SPG promos and do not care about Hyatt too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.