Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
people say we should be happy with any promo that "gives" us things

well when I look at this as to what the competitors have, what choices I have, I just can't see myself "going out of my way" for this promos

3 for 1 *shaking my head*

what a let down
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I hope everybody from the US goes with Hyatt (BTW: What is Hyatt? A provincial US hotel chain?). This leaves plenty of award space for the rest of the world at our great European and Asian Hiltons and Starwoods and avoids that we see to many people blocking great lounges on award nights earned on three or four cheap Hamptons or 4Ps. Very wise choice, thank you SPG!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:35 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by FD1971
Once again, a perfect comparison....

What's next, comparing Sydney on Dec. 31 with Newark,NJ on a weekend in February...
Yes, that one was a bit chalk and cheese. However, in India, I use the Hyatt and the ITC in Kolkata on similar dates all the time (I put up associates who I would rather not have in the same hotel). I generally make the booking at the same time for the cheapest room at both hotels.

Both hotels are pretty comparable too.

The next stay we have coming on the same nights has the Hyatt at INR 6,800 per night (including all taxes) whereas the ITC will be 9,000 per night (thus 9,900 with taxes), so, two stays at Hyatt will be very much cheaper than two stays at Starwood (for me, in this one particular city).

In London, however, it is difficult to compare Hyatt against Starwood. The Andaz and the Churchill come in at 375 and 300 per night, in two weeks time.....can you compare those against the Starwoods.....not really: LM Piccadilly to The Lanesborough come in at 233.83 and 440.63....the other Starwoods are priced in between those two. I don't think a fair comparison can be made.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:12 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
As a stand alone promo, I think it's reasonably good. It gets difficult to see that it's a good promo if you must feel compelled to compare it to either last year's promo, or to Hyatt's current promo.....better to judge it on what it is.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Shantanu
Yes, that one was a bit chalk and cheese. However, in India, I use the Hyatt and the ITC in Kolkata on similar dates all the time (I put up associates who I would rather not have in the same hotel). I generally make the booking at the same time for the cheapest room at both hotels.

The next stay we have coming on the same nights has the Hyatt at INR 6,800 per night (including all taxes) whereas the ITC will be 9,000 per night (thus 9,900 with taxes), so, two stays at Hyatt will be very much cheaper than two stays at Starwood (for me, in this one particular city).
i have 5 stays coming up in jaipur next month....they were all single day trips & i was earlier thinking of flying in the night before & paying inr 3,800 a night for staying at the sheraton rajputana....then i found an inr 2,000 day rate at the 4 points jaipur....this is perfect for me as now i would fly in early in the morning, finish my work & come back to delhi later that evening....

so for inr 10,000 i will have 5 spg stays....with hyatt no matter where in india i stay i'll end up paying close inr 7,000....i enquired about a day rate as well with hyatt in delhi....they quoted inr 7,200 all inclusive....
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I hope everybody from the US goes with Hyatt (BTW: What is Hyatt? A provincial US hotel chain?). This leaves plenty of award space for the rest of the world at our great European and Asian Hiltons and Starwoods and avoids that we see to many people blocking great lounges on award nights earned on three or four cheap Hamptons or 4Ps. Very wise choice, thank you SPG!

Clearly, this lawyer never signed up for a minor in Marketing...

On a sidenote, SPG had slightly more properties than Hyatt, before both engaged in a takeover battle for Le Meridien, a battle won by SPG at a certain price...

I understand your rationale, though, I also prefer to have a quiet breakfast at the Park Vendome or Milan and not being disturbed by el cheapo guests burning free nights earned at mediocre properties...

Talking about the 'our' great European properties, I am more than happy to pass the truly outstanding Hilton Mainz to stay at the Regency Mainz...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Sorry.....Going to Try elsewhere

50 % off last years free weekend promotion......a bit much.....am going to try another program for the first time in ten years......
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shantanu

In London, however, it is difficult to compare Hyatt against Starwood. The Andaz and the Churchill come in at 375 and 300 per night, in two weeks time.....can you compare those against the Starwoods.....not really: LM Piccadilly to The Lanesborough come in at 233.83 and 440.63....the other Starwoods are priced in between those two. I don't think a fair comparison can be made.
That was exactly my point, always impossible to compare, but on average, two stays should be cheaper than three stays at comparable levels, however somebody originally claimed a Hyatt is always sooo expensive followed by another poster with a comparison between the majors and the minors.

On a sidenote, the Andaz in London can get very cheap on weekends, when the finance guys are out of town and the tourists arriving @ LSS are bypassing the property, because it is still ( around GBP 100/night ) too expensive for most of them. LM Piccadilly is generally almost twice as expensive and The Lanesborough is in another league than The Churchill, a former IC and solid 5* hotel, but nothing more.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
a comparison between the majors and the minors.
please note that outside the us there are very limited hyatt properties....so the comparison was that while in india you can stay at a spg property for as little as inr 2,000 (day rate), it will cost you about inr 7,000 to stay at the cheapest hyatt property....

i was not comparing a big city with a smaller one....i was comparing the average prices in the country....
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
people say we should be happy with any promo that "gives" us things

well when I look at this as to what the competitors have, what choices I have, I just can't see myself "going out of my way" for this promos

3 for 1 *shaking my head*

what a let down
It is still better than no free nights at all, however poorly marketed and communicated, because everyone can make a comparison to the promo last year and realize it is a light version this year.

Difficult to figure out the threshold for marketeers when people start making mattress runs or start switching stays, because of promos, but 2 for 1 at Hyatt is motivating me to re-plan certain trips, 3 for 1 at SPG will not make me switch too many stays and in some cities, SPG gets my business anyway, because Hyatt does not have properties there. I had a look at Hilton, but the redemption locations are not really fitting into my travel patterns. IC Hotels offers double points now, maybe a gift cert. on top, also not too exciting...

Last edited by FD1971; Apr 17, 2010 at 5:22 am
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:53 am

I would think the only reason spg would "up the ante" is if Plats pull business and give it to the brands with "better" promos for a quarter or two.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:58 am

It is still better than no free nights at all, however poorly marketed and communicated, because everyone can make a comparison to the promo last year and realize it is a light version this year.

Difficult to figure out the threshold for marketeers when people start making mattress runs or start switching stays, because of promos, but 2 for 1 at Hyatt is motivating me to re-plan certain trips, 3 for 1 at SPG will not make me switch too many stays and in some cities, SPG gets my business anyway, because Hyatt does not have properties there. I had a look at Hilton, but the redemption locations are not really fitting into my travel patterns. IC Hotels offers double points now, maybe a gift cert. on top, also not to exciting...
I find myself with nothing else left to say as I completely agree with your last three or four posts.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
please note that outside the us there are very limited hyatt properties....so the comparison was that while in india you can stay at a spg property for as little as inr 2,000 (day rate), it will cost you about inr 7,000 to stay at the cheapest hyatt property....

i was not comparing a big city with a smaller one....i was comparing the average prices in the country....
saad, it is possible to compare Hyatt and Starwood's pricing per country in the US, because both play in the same leagues, offering AAA 3 and 4 Diamond, also limited service, properties. Outside of the US, it is almost impossible, because Hyatt plays in the Champions League only with full service 5* hotels, whereas Starwood franchises also limited service hotels and smaller hotels in markets in which Hyatt's strategy will not fit, therefore they did not go into those markets. If Hyatt decides to franchise Hyatt Place in India, it would surprise me, if they would be priced completely different than the aloft properties, which will open in a couple of months/years in various places ^

As pointed out numerous times, a combination of Hyatt, SPG and either Hilton or even better IC Hotels for very small markets is a perfect combination for the global traveler. In any case, a 2 for 1 promo without any limitations ( Hyatt does not demand a three night minimum stay for week day FFN redemption anymore...) is superior to a 3 for 1 weekend only promo, that excludes the Champions League properties.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
I know - Hyatt is handing these free nights around like candy
Candy? Try crack cocaine! I am Platinum with both SPG & Marriott and have yet to stay a single paid night this year with either of them, while I requalified for Diamond with Hyatt in February and am still going strong, including doing multiple matress runs. Am I addicted? I don't have a problem!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

saad, it is possible to compare Hyatt and Starwood's pricing per country in the US, because both play in the same leagues, offering AAA 3 and 4 Diamond, also limited service, properties. Outside of the US, it is almost impossible, because Hyatt plays in the Champions League only with full service 5* hotels, whereas Starwood franchises also limited service hotels and smaller hotels in markets in which Hyatt's strategy will not fit, therefore they did not go into those markets. If Hyatt decides to franchise Hyatt Place in India, it would surprise me, if they would be priced completely different than the aloft properties, which will open in a couple of months/years in various places ^

As pointed out numerous times, a combination of Hyatt, SPG and either Hilton or even better IC Hotels for very small markets is a perfect combination for the global traveler. In any case, a 2 for 1 promo without any limitations ( Hyatt does not demand a three night minimum stay for week day FFN redemption anymore...) is superior to a 3 for 1 weekend only promo, that excludes the Champions League properties.
i see your point but i'm not comparing a low end spg property like aloft to a high end hyatt....i'm comparing 5 star sheraton & le mridien properties with high end hyatt properties & there is a huge price difference....

the fact is that hyatt in the us has a good number of properties but outside the us they are very limited....so even though they have a great promo, it won't help if there aren't many properties to earn & redeem rewards at....

Last edited by Keyser; Apr 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.