Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
I wish I thought things through as well as you guys. Just booked the Aloft in Rancho Cucamonga for $63 on May 1!
Tim the Ontario/Rauncho prop's are a better deal because they do not charge for parking.Easy to do MR'ing there.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
Originally Posted by ldsant
Realize that the SPG promo does not begin until May 1st.
This is very very disappointing for me. Not that I expected anything differently since they never really run them back to back, but I have 15 days that I am going to be in a hotel between 4/15 and 5/1 and now I don't see that much benefit to staying at *wood. I know I'm going to regain my platinum status. One of my stays is a prepaid stay at the W Lakeshore in Chicago, so I won't be cancelling it. Should have stayed at the Westin for the Amazon promo.

However, 10 of the 15 nights are going to be going somewhere else. Given the cities I was going to be in, the rates they charge for parking, and the number of people I bring with me to stay at the same hotel as me, it's a significant chunk of revenue that is going to be going to Hyatt, Hilton or Kimptom.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by craz
Sorry to Disagree, but IMO its a worse Promo then Hiltons as well

With HH its redeemable for a year, any Cat and any day of the week. With SPG youd better book it today since most people shoot for only a few Hotels and they fill up 1-2-3
I agree. Furthermore, the HH promo has begun earlier, so that stays in most of April at an HH property count but those this month at a Starwood don't count.

I do appreciate any Starwood promo and might even take advantage of this one a bit. But basically the HH and Hyatt promos are better. Between taking my business during the promotion period to HH or Starwood, I'm going with HH for most of it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by saad
i have a lot of travel coming up in may & june....21 stays in total....will be travelling around india, indonesia, malaysia & belgium ....of all the cities i will be in over the next couple of months:

in indonesia there are 0 hilton, 2 hyatt & 6 spg....
In Indonesia there are 2 hilton, 5 hyatt & 11 spg....

Look at all the extra choice you have now

Last edited by camsean; Apr 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by nmmercer
I am going to earn as much as I can through this promo. Starwoods are now my first choice and I would have stayed with them even in the absence of the promo anyway (blasphemy on FT, I know...) because of the locations, brands, in-property experience, and excellent customer service. I hope that you Hyatt defectors find happiness and everything you are looking for; plus I can't wait for you to free up those suites so that my Platinum upgrades come even easier. Thanks SPG!
As you may know, many of us stay 100+ nights/year, so yes we do move our biz to the best promo chain, but we keep top tier on at least 2 programs if not 3.

Right now the grass is greener at Hyatt.

Btw is interesting to analyze SPG's Q1 and Q2 promos. Q1 was to keep us with long stays at their properties (anti-MR), but Q2 is a clear incentive to revive our MR spirit...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:42 pm

Just booked 5 stays with SPG and 4 stays with Hyatt on my 13 day trip to China (in between, short stops in the US). I was initially contemplating to push all my stays to SPG since, this year, I need all I can get to requalify for PLAT, but couldn't resist getting free nights with Hyatt, especially given that I also got an email offer for one free night after one stay at Hyatt (in addition to the registered promo for this Q). This will net me 3 free nights at any Hyatt vs. no free nights (but 5000 extra SPG points from FT promo) with SPG.

Had this promotion started earlier than May 1st, I would have pushed all my stay to SPG... then I'd at least earn 2-3 free weekend night... oh well.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: Plat. Starwood, Fairmont Premier, Omni Black, Hyatt Diamond, USAir Gold
Please explain the 1,500 customer busy?

Originally Posted by larrylim
Well, I definitely have no complaints. Coupled with the other promo, it's a great opportunity for a mattress run in Kuala Lumpur.

What I Pay:
3 stays at LM = RM250/night x 3 = RM750 ($235)

What I Get:
a) Points = 705 + 1,500 (Platinum Amenity) + 1,500 (Customer Busy) = 3,705
b) 1 FWN in St Regis Singapore, worth min. S$350 ($253)
c) 3 stays towards Elite level
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by stras2000
Please explain the 1,500 customer busy?
500 points every time you book it...times 3.

Frankly, I always forget to even look for that...I should try to remember in the future.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by larrylim
Well, I definitely have no complaints. Coupled with the other promo, it's a great opportunity for a mattress run in Kuala Lumpur.

What I Pay:
3 stays at LM = RM250/night x 3 = RM750 ($235)

What I Get:
a) Points = 705 + 1,500 (Platinum Amenity) + 1,500 (Customer Busy) = 3,705
b) 1 FWN in St Regis Singapore, worth min. S$350 ($253)
c) 3 stays towards Elite level
I'm actually quite sick of mattress run, but the programs *wood comes up with basically forces me to switch hotels. It is a real pain in the ..., but I guess the results does justify it.

I've stayed at the St. Regis Singapore several times, not once a paid stay. Just told my wife last night, quite embarrassed all of my stay was FWN or gift stays.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by brahms77

couldn't resist getting free nights with Hyatt, especially given that I also got an email offer for one free night after one stay at Hyatt (in addition to the registered promo for this Q). .
l.
Free night after just 1 night? Wow! please explain. Good for just 1 time thing?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Not to add to the "Hyatt's promo is superior", but I did a MR last weekend and tonight. AAA rate 55.20, plus Hyatt Costco savings of $10, costs me 51.94 all in. So total 104.00 for two stays, which gets me a free night anywhere I want, G2 code and ammenity for both stays is 6000 points, add the 700 plus points for the stay so total 6700+ points and free night at some expensive hotel

I love Hyatt!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SC Alum
Free night after just 1 night? Wow! please explain. Good for just 1 time thing?
I got an email earlier from Hyatt (b/c I hadn't had a stay at Hyatt this year - I am Diamond with Hyatt) saying that they wanted to offer me a free night after completing a stay at any Hyatt by end of May. So, that's where I'd get my first free night.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by DHAST
I'm planning a 5-week vacation to SE Asia with my wife in mid-December. That's the only real travel I'll do this year. Until then, I'll likely have no paid hotel stays.

So when I compare this promo to the others that are out there, everything is framed from the perspective of what it will do for me on this trip. For me, these types of promos are strictly leverage (arbitrage?) opportunities, as many of you guys have noted for yourselves.

Hyatt? Awesome promo, but just doesn't work for the time period I need it to. Even if it did, as was noted above, where I am going, it's more cost effective to use C&P awards. (Many, many Cat 1-4 in SE Asia.)
I don't know for a fact but am betting that another FFN (Faster Free Nights) type of promotion (stay 2x get 1 free night) will be run again at Hyatt starting probably in Sept / Oct since this is "traditionally" a year end promotion with redemption period into the start of the following year - the current round in an anomaly.

FWIW, the Hyatt forum (which I moderate) has been exploding with a lot of "newbies" to the forum in the last 5-6 months.

As to number of properties in any given area, they change all the time. Here in greater Cincinnati, there are 4 Hyatts and only 1 SPG now (with 2 properties recently leaving the affiliation).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I got an email earlier from Hyatt (b/c I hadn't had a stay at Hyatt this year - I am Diamond with Hyatt) saying that they wanted to offer me a free night after completing a stay at any Hyatt by end of May. So, that's where I'd get my first free night.
That's very nice!^
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
The same happened to me - I stayed once at a Hyatt last July and I received an email this March with the stay 1 night, get 1 free night offer. I booked the offer in April (and also status matched to Diamond at the same time) and I received another email with another such offer (this valid until Sep 2010). I had one stay in April in Chicago and two free nights were deposited into my account the same week...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.