Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Charged in US Dollars instead of local currency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged in US Dollars instead of local currency

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by schley
Anyone know the answer to this as it could be a way to cheat one out of 5-10% of starpoints earned.
I have lost anywhere from 14% to 30% on Starpoints from overseas locations. From last fall:
Le Meridien Nice - shorted 14% (twice)
Westin Auckland - shorted 16% (twice)
Westin Sydney - shorted 21%
Le Meridien Beach Plaza - shorted 30%
However, since the total shortage was only 534 points, I never bothered to complain.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have lost anywhere from 14% to 30% on Starpoints from overseas locations. From last fall:
However, since the total shortage was only 534 points, I never bothered to complain.
That's most likely because the rates included tax and you do not earn points on the tax.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sharklover
That's most likely because the rates included tax and you do not earn points on the tax.
No, my calculations took that into account. They are based on room rate only as provided on the statements.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By law in the vast majority of countries prices are inclusive of sales etc. taxes (I only wish that was true in the US!!); I bet SPG backs them out.

For example in France VAT is 19.6%, so if you pay EUR1000 in rooms, 163.88 of that is VAT on the pre-VAT amount of 836.12.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Interesting topic that prompted me to examine my Westin Aruba folio.

I got shorted a few points. Had $89.28 in food/drink charges against the room but got only 148 points. Obviously losing a few points isn't going to kill me but on principle it bugs me. My transaction was in US dollars since that's commonly used in Aruba so no issues there (and AMEX doesn't charge a foreign currency conversion fee for international US dollar transactions).
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:54 am

As noted this is a scam called dynamic currency conversion. Visa and MC regulations clearly state that dcc can only be done with the acceptance of the scamee...when they are trying to pull this scam you will see on the credit card receipt an amount in local currency and an amount in your currency and be asked to sign a statement indicating you accept the conversion as final...to add insult to injury your bank may also impose a fee besides the lousy exchange rate.

When this happens just tell the clerk to void the transaction and do it properly in local currency. They have many lies ready for you like they can't void a transaction once it's been printed (every transaction can be voided, what if hey accidentally or not so accidentally enter the wrong amount in the terminal), that they have no control over it (then why does the terminal ask the merchant because of the visa/mc regs if the scamee wishes to be scammed)..that the amount listed is just an approximation that the charge is being done in local currency (then why am I asked to sign a statement that I accept the conversion as final) and finally the most famous no speak English.

If they refuse to do the charge properly, write on the slip "local currency not offered" cross out the amount of your currency and circle the local currency amount and tell the scammer you will be contesting the charge. And then do it.

Incidentally Amex does not allow this scam.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good advice JEFFJAGUAR.

Interestingly, I had this issue with Shangri-La a couple of years ago: they were able to insert in my Golden Circle profile that I do not wish to be offered "DCC": since that time I have never had a problem again.

The only place I still have the problem is with Budget Rent a Car in the USA- however I have fixed this by moving to Avis.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
great advice jeffjaguar....if i run into any problems then i will use this during my next trip in may-june to singapore, malaysia & indonesia....
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is the exact kind of shortchanging that I was wondering about. to those hotels, and I'm curious if SPG has a policy on what rate a hotel must use for their conversion rate. Lurkers? Can they basically use whatever they want or?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
This is the exact kind of shortchanging that I was wondering about. to those hotels, and I'm curious if SPG has a policy on what rate a hotel must use for their conversion rate. Lurkers? Can they basically use whatever they want or?
How do you get shortchanged on the SPG points?
Is it supposed to be that we get the points of the USD equivalent or the local currency?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by superflush
Is it supposed to be that we get the points of the USD equivalent or the local currency?
That's always been my understanding.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by superflush
How do you get shortchanged on the SPG points?
When you are charged in local currency they have to figure up how many starpoints your stay is given. Thus they have to convert the local currency into USD to factor this up. My question is what rate do they factor this up at? Do they use the lowest rate of the day? Highest? Exact rate at that time and according to what measure?

For the SPG website if you hit on currency conversion it opens up a window that links to xe.com to convert foreign currency into USD or whatever you desire.

Is this same tool being linked to when they factor up starpoints upon checkout? I would be surprised. Lurkers?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
If they have the ability to charge in USD, why does the cash portion of a cash + points rate have to be converted & then charged in local currency, only to be converted back by the credit card company?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:19 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Lurkers? Can they basically use whatever they want or?
The directives in this regard come from the regional corporate office in conjunction with local revenue management. Any deviances must be approved and for a good reason, so no.

But, that does not mean that individual properties are updating their conversion/tax rates as directed. If you feel they are not, any inquiries regarding irregularities should be processed through Corporate Customer Service.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The directives in this regard come from the regional corporate office in conjunction with local revenue management. Any deviances must be approved and for a good reason, so no.

But, that does not mean that individual properties are updating their conversion/tax rates as directed. If you feel they are not, any inquiries regarding irregularities should be processed through Corporate Customer Service.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
William,
Does the directive from their regional corporate office require them to use what to come up with their conversion rate? Are they using the xe.com rate as the spg website does when coming up with the USD to calculate starpoints? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.