W Bed Owners - How is it holding up?

Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
W Bed Owners - How is it holding up?

I am contemplating a purchase of this bed to replace our 11 year old Simmons Beautyrest, which has a pocketed coil system like the one in the W bed. It didn't take long for some depressions to develop despite turning and flipping (yes, you could do that on mattresses made back then). I realize this is a function of the foam layers on top of the coils. Just wondering if I'll be able to avoid this on the W bed.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'm happy with the W Plush Top bed I bought 3 years ago. I did just replace the feather bed. Wonderful.

Most reports of problems that I'm aware of involve the pillow top.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Disclaimer: I do not work for W, the bed manufacturer, or anyone who gains from the sale of these beds.

We've had ours (plush top) for about 4 months now. It's the bee's knees. Really.

Genuine quotes from my wife:
"There's something wrong with this bed, it must have opium in the lining or something."
"I swear this bed talks to me (motherly voice) 'come on Mrs.pjoalfa, sleep, you know you want to...'."
"OK we have to get rid of this bed. I don't want to get up in the morning."

I kid you not.

I'd stay away from the pillow top as it's too soft IME, and you get hot.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Probably a stupid question, but can you get SPG points for purchasing the W beds? If so, how?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've had a W Plush Top for three years now and no signs of any wear or indentation. (I should point out I only sleep in it about 175 nights a year so it only has "real" wear of about 1.5 years!) I'm normally pretty rough on mattresses - my Heavenly Bed started to get indentations at about year two (although its still comfy, its in the guest room now). W bed has none of that.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:12 pm

Pillow Top

We purchased the Pillow Top........we absolutely love it. It is so very soft - yet firm if that makes sense.

I'm not sure exactly why the negative comments on the pillow top but honestly me and the wife love it. Great sleeps . Period.

Would definately recommend !^ As far as I am concerned it is the same bed as the " Heavenly Bed".....we ended up buying the covers; pillows etc., from the Westin store after we bought it.

We also got a great deal in October when we bought it - if I recall I think it was like 50% off or something.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by kavok
Probably a stupid question, but can you get SPG points for purchasing the W beds? If so, how?
The only way I can think you could is to pay for it with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've had mine for 6 months and really like it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kavok
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The only way I can think you could is to pay for it with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
This is correct, and it does calculate as SPG spend and receives the extra points.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:25 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I have mine for 3 years.

I have the Plush top bed and I got a W feather bed (looks like a blanket) with it. This allows the bed to go soft if I want by putting the featherbed on top of the Plush top bed. I also got the box spring and rails.

No noticible depression on where I sleep - I sleep on the side of the bed. I also like to sit on the side of the bed and use a laptop.

I do notice small amounts of thread on the Plush top starts to untangle - but likely wear and tear.

1 or 2 feathers pokes out of the featherbed once a while - maybe also sign of wear and tear. Overall, quite satisfied with my bed.

I wonder how long can a bed last? 10? 15 years?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
This is correct, and it does calculate as SPG spend and receives the extra points.
Thank you both for the suggestion. ^ Afterall, the Mrs. has been wanting one for quite sometime now...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:42 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
We have had our for a little over a year and LOVE it!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
I've had a pillow top cal king for about 2 years, and the wife and I love it. It just gets more and more comfy! I want to get the featherbed as well to really make it feel like air. That said, if they ever ran a 40% off or more on the Heavenly Bed, I'd get that as well. I'd take the Heavenly Bed over the W Bed any day, but I love my W Bed.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
The W Bed is working out great...love it. One of the side benefits is that the wife actually wants to have sex now...imagine that.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by shyam99
One of the side benefits is that the wife actually wants to have sex now...imagine that.
Do you have a picture of her?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.