Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

3 People in Room on Cash & Points Not Allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold

I am staying at the Eden Hotel in Rome next month with my two nieces (ages 16 & 17). After booking my nights using cash & points I notice on the confirmation e-mail that it said the room was for "for two people" despite me explicitly putting 3 people in my search.

I e-mailed the hotel right away to ask what the deal was. No response (that was over a week ago).

I then looked at their website and it said that extra beds are 140 EUR a night. Which is nuts.

I called SPG and they said not only can only two people be in a room, there isn't even room for an extra bed.

I e-mailed Eden again yesterday morning to see what they could do and again no response.

My question is, don't you think this whole thing is misleading? I booked a hotel upfront letting them know I'd be three people and now they are telling me that a) either I'll have to pay through the nose or b) I can't stay there at all. Well, that's what I assume my options will be if anyone from the hotel will actually get in touch.

Am I crazy?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Unfortunately, it is very common for European hotels to price rooms by the head, with a signifcant upcharge for the 2nd person in the room and, quite frequently, the room won't accomodate more than two people.
I agree that it shouldn't have let you book the room after loading 3 people into the search box, but I doubt you are going to get them to budge on the 2 per room limit, you best bet is probably to cancel and start over.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
I am staying at the Eden Hotel in Rome next month with my two nieces (ages 16 & 17). After booking my nights using cash & points I notice on the confirmation e-mail that it said the room was for "for two people" despite me explicitly putting 3 people in my search.

I e-mailed the hotel right away to ask what the deal was. No response (that was over a week ago).

I then looked at their website and it said that extra beds are 140 EUR a night. Which is nuts.

I called SPG and they said not only can only two people be in a room, there isn't even room for an extra bed.

I e-mailed Eden again yesterday morning to see what they could do and again no response.

My question is, don't you think this whole thing is misleading? I booked a hotel upfront letting them know I'd be three people and now they are telling me that a) either I'll have to pay through the nose or b) I can't stay there at all. Well, that's what I assume my options will be if anyone from the hotel will actually get in touch.

Am I crazy?
C+P and awards are only valid for 2 guests.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
That may be technically true, but I don't think this is often enforced in the US. I have used C+P several times for two adults and two kids and it has never been a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Well the hotel isn't in the US so...

...what point are you trying to make???
Re-book as posted above.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
That may be technically true, but I don't think this is often enforced in the US. I have used C+P several times for two adults and two kids and it has never been a problem.
Exactly, in the U.S. As mentioned above it's common to price hotels per person in Europe. I was staying on a free night award at the Sheraton in Rome (on the outskirts on our last night there since it was closer to the airport) with my GF and her sister and we had to pay ~40 euros for the third person. You could try getting a free upgrade to a room for 3 because it allowed you to book the room after you specifically put in 3 people, but no guarantees.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
Exactly, in the U.S. As mentioned above it's common to price hotels per person in Europe. I was staying on a free night award at the Sheraton in Rome (on the outskirts on our last night there since it was closer to the airport) with my GF and her sister and we had to pay ~40 euros for the third person. You could try getting a free upgrade to a room for 3 because it allowed you to book the room after you specifically put in 3 people, but no guarantees.
In actuality, even in the U.S., rooms are normally designated for 2 occupants with additional charges for 3rd/4th guests. In normal circumstances, I have yet to be charged for bringing a 3rd/4th guests in the US even though the rate description may say additional $$ for additional occupants. It is easier in the US because two-bedded rooms usually comes with doubles/queens, compared to Europe/Asia where two-bedded rooms usually are twins, thus a roll-away or cot is required.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
It happened to me once up in Canada. What I did was calling the hotel before hand with the situation, and they had no problem with the third person. I would suggest you to call rather then emails.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
After booking my nights using cash & points I notice on the confirmation e-mail that it said the room was for "for two people" despite me explicitly putting 3 people in my search.
I had the same issue with spg.com and think it should be fixed or at least noted somewhere, it was only because I searched through the remarks on the potential booking that it is only for 2-ppl and not 3 like I searched for. I will likely still go with it and expect to pay the EUR 30-40 extra fee that the hotel seems to be charging on a 3rd person.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greasy
It happened to me once up in Canada. What I did was calling the hotel before hand with the situation, and they had no problem with the third person. I would suggest you to call rather then emails.
Yeah, I always call in these situations if I don't get a response to my email. It basically costs nothing to call Europe these days.

I prefer email because of both the language issue and the advantage of "getting it in writing," but a phone call is harder to avoid.

FWIW, there is little real corrolation between SPG's website occupany rules and the "situation on the ground" in foreign hotels. I encounter these issues often when I take my kids. Usually (but not always) I can work out a reasonable deal with the local staff.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by pkeung
I had the same issue with spg.com and think it should be fixed or at least noted somewhere, it was only because I searched through the remarks on the potential booking that it is only for 2-ppl and not 3 like I searched for. I will likely still go with it and expect to pay the EUR 30-40 extra fee that the hotel seems to be charging on a 3rd person.
yes...on Spg.com when you book awards at the initial reservation page, one CAN input 3-4 adults. Since rate reservations and award reservations are all lumped in the same initial search results, it looks like the 3-4 adults are included in the rate. But only the paying rate reservation includes occupancy for your stated requirements. ALL awards and c+p reservations will default back to 2 occupants per awards T&Cs. anything over that...it is up to the hotel and how you check-in.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Also FWIW, I stayed at the Eden in 2008 on ALL points (but the rooms are the same as for C&P) and arranged ahead (with SPG, as I recall) for a point-funded "specialty upgrade" to a room large enough for 2 Twins as King and one extra bed.
Sorry, I don't remember any extra charge for our daughter, but I just checked and the Confirm states "2 adults, 1 child."

We loved the hotel. ^
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold
In the end.

I was able to get an SPG person to help me out. She has booked me in the not as nice Excelsior for the same C&P deal, but with three beds. I just feel more comfortable having it all sorted before I get to Italy. Plus, ten years ago I mailed a postcard from Italy and it took 5 months to arrive. To that end, I don't expect to hear replies from either of my emails to the hotel anytime soon
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

I think you are wise to have made the change. I stayed at the Eden as a platinum and was given a minuscule room. The sitting chair in the room blocked the door to the bathroom. It would have been impossible to have put so much as a cot in the room. It's an old hotel with the variable room size that hotels of that vintage have. We really lost the rooms sweepstake when we stayed there.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:53 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I was able to get an SPG person to help me out. She has booked me in the not as nice Excelsior for the same C&P deal, but with three beds.
How much do you pay the extra for the third person?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.