Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I check here periodically but it hasn't changed one iota since the merge was announced back in April I think it was.
Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:06 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
delete this redundant post por favore

Last edited by cur; Jun 19, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:23 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i see no point keeping this card, particularly with the spg merger happening. may as well just put everything on cobalt and the amex platinum, then hope there this new spiffy card?

it is my guess and my guess only that this card will get sunset...what, with no more spg points but a $20 statement credit or something absolutely ridiculously pointless. and i doubt they'll give free weekend nights to every member like marriott did just by paying the annual fee.

or will there be some sweet deal if they sunset the card? like with the marriott? which i doubt? nobody seems to know the future but yet so few are keen to cancel? why the bullish outlook?

---
anyways data point:

called in, 58 days since annual fee last paid

said they have no information on what's happening after 1august (the poor referral and signup bonuses are a huge sign imo)

offered 7000spg to stick with it

i wanted 14000spg, (would have settled for 10), they couldn't go above 7

cancelled and annual fee refunded in full

have next to 0 spg spend for next month and a half, may as well just put all my f+b and travel on cobalt and the platinum card (and the alaska mbna so i can get a first class flight on japanair or cathay), see what pops up this august! hopefully a new card category that i can get a signup bonus off
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:11 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I contacted American Express Canada today to see if there is any info about this new card.

I got the following answer. Take it with a grain of salt but that is where we're heading.Lastly about the merger of SPG with Marriott, here's what I would like to share:

In August 2018, Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG will become one powerful program. Individual program names will stay the same until 2019 but Marriott will consolidate everything else to give Members easier access and more opportunities.

For the first time, Members will have seamless access to book stays and earn and redeem points among 29 participating global brands with 6,500 hotels in more than 127 countries and territories. To learn more about the program changes, go to www.members.marriott.com.

Until August 2018, the programs will remain separate.

•SPG members will continue to earn Starpoints and receive SPG benefits at hotels participating in the SPG program.
•Marriott Rewards members will earn Marriott Rewards points and receive Marriott Rewards benefits at hotels participating in that program.

Marriott will send all SPG members a new 9-digit loyalty account number in August 2018. You do not need to provide us with the new loyalty account number.

Earn rate will be:

•5 points for every eligible dollar spent at participating Marriott and Starwood hotels (no expiration date)
•2 points for every eligible dollar spent on all other eligible purchases

Points Conversion will be:

As of August 2018, Starpoints will be converted to points at a 1:3 ratio (1 Starpoint will convert to 3 points). For example, existing Starpoint balances of 10,000 will become 30,000 points.

•Points earned after the changes go into effect will reflect the new earn rate listed above.
•We will calculate all deductions for returns, credits, and adjustments at the point earn rate in effect at the time of the return, credit, or adjustment.
When the program changes become effective, the number of points needed to redeem in the loyalty program will change.

Status will be:

Automatic Silver Elite Status

•Complimentary standard in-room internet access
•10% points bonus
•Priority Late Check-Out when available
•Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Most of this that info is about the merged program, not the CC. Except for:

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Earn rate will be:

•5 points for every eligible dollar spent at participating Marriott and Starwood hotels (no expiration date)
•2 points for every eligible dollar spent on all other eligible purchases
Which is a devaluation from post conversion 6 (2 Starpoints) to 5 points and 3 (1 Starpoint) to 2 points.

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Status will be: Automatic Silver Elite Status

•Complimentary standard in-room internet access
•10% points bonus
•Priority Late Check-Out when available
•Ultimate Reservation Guarantee
If they do this, without actually giving the 15 elite night credits like the U.S. cards then it's pretty useless to anyone that would earn any status higher than Silver, which is in itself a pretty useless level.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Yes, if it's true (no 15 qualified nights, earning devaluation), there is no way I will pay 120$ AF for this card...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:16 pm

Card needs 15 elite night credits

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Yes, if it's true (no 15 qualified nights, earning devaluation), there is no way I will pay 120$ AF for this card...
to be worthwhile to big spenders as well as loyal world of Marriott customers.

without the credits I too will cancel, with them I may match my six figure 2018 spend.

also on my wishlish

— no foreign transaction fees (like the us cards)
—free platinum status based on very large spend
— free night to make the annual fee more palatable
—free night in return for large spend
—boingo
—attractive sign up bonus
—attractive referral bonuses
—available to previous spg Amex cardholders
—annual fee that is fair taking into account the benefits provided
—business card with similar benefits and fees as the personal card
—reasonable number of Marriott points per dollar spent (and no wholesale devaluation of Marriott points due to category reclassification and high season surge pricing)

but the essential thing is the elite night credits.

i do expect a major devaluation at Marriott , so I am not all that optimistic about the value of the card to me (and to anyone who can do arithmetic ) going forward.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
What I am also concern about is the exchange ratio for the AMEX Membership Rewards program to the new Marriott/SPG program. If they make the conversion non-existence, it probably affect the people holding the AMEX Colbalt that uses SPG as a bridge towards aeroplan/airline miles
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:50 am

Reading the program changes my understanding was 10 points per USD spent at hotels except 5 points per dollar at 3 lower category hotels plus any bonuses based on status. Did I get that wrong?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by ac777
Reading the program changes my understanding was 10 points per USD spent at hotels except 5 points per dollar at 3 lower category hotels plus any bonuses based on status. Did I get that wrong?
No, but you're talking about the points earned from Marriott for the stay. The previous posts are talking about the additional points earned from using the SPG Amex card.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Free annual night confirmed (pending the agent is correct )

I was told today by the Amex rep that the card will Also offer a free annual night with no spending requirement and there will continue to be a business / personal version.

Given I have the personal now Im hoping for a decent promotion just for the signup bonus - kicking myself for not self referring before. But if there is a free night plus some bonus it should actually come out fairly even in the end . No world on annual fee .

Like others have said u can’t always put to much faith in agents .... anyone else wanna give it a go 😀 ?

Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Rewards Canada is reporting on the changes to the SPG Card. Looks like the devaluation is confirmed. 2 Points per Dollar/ 5 Points at Starwood/Marriott. Free night benefit helps a bit.

Rewards Canada: New earn rates and benefits revealed for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:41 am

- 2 points per $: sucks. Not going to use this card for everyday spending anymore. Better use my Capital One 2% cash back on everything.
- 5 points per $ at MPG hotels: not very useful but I may use it, at least in Canada
- Silver status: useless, sucks
- Free nights: nice, but since this is going to be the only benefit left to the card, does that worth 120$ ?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:08 am

Just got the email, it's official. 2 points per $ / 5 points for SPG / MR and a 35,000 pts free night certificate.
Free silver automatic and free gold after 30,000$ spending.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Just got the email, it's official. 2 points per $ / 5 points for SPG / MR and a 35,000 pts free night certificate.
Free silver automatic and free gold after 30,000$ spending.
I got an email for both my personal and biz cards. The only difference is that the business card also has:
3 points for every dollar in Card purchases on eligible gas, dining and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.