Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:01 pm

A couple of years ago, driving back from the USA through Canada Customs and declared some US purchases over my limit (expensive camera), gave them my Amex Corp gold card (a business purchase) and was told they only accept MC or Visa, not AMEX.

I've almost stayed in zero SPG paid stay hotels since getting the SPG card, but have taken two trips to Italy and stayed in wonderful SPG hotels (Danieli Venice, Westin Florence, Westin Rome, etc.) on points ... even got upgraded to suites no extra. All pretty much on grocery purchases, clothing, etc. in stores that do not accept Amex. Guess I better spend them SPG points soon.

Talked to my Amex rep who told me she would expect the SPG card to have an annual fee of $100 with no first year free. Get prepared.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by JWL
The other day I presented my Amex Gold to a retailer and the guy recoiled his hands like he didn't want to come anywhere close to touching it. So I know what you mean.
So descriptively hilarious!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: AC *E
Amex is OK

It's odd to me to see all the comments about not being able to use Amex. I have an Amex Plat and an AeroPlat and my wife and I do the vast majority of our spending ($150K+ annually) on the Plat card. We have a CIBC Aerogold Visa for those places where Amex doesn't work, but in my experience it's 90/10 acceptance/rejection.

Still don't know what I will do about the SPG Amex. SPG points are much more valuable than MR or Aeroplan points, so $100/year for the SPG Amex is a far better deal than $400 for Amex Plat. On the other hand, I want the lounge access and other benefits of the Plat and AeroPlat. Oh, the dilemma!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by pwrshift
A couple of years ago, driving back from the USA through Canada Customs and declared some US purchases over my limit (expensive camera), gave them my Amex Corp gold card (a business purchase) and was told they only accept MC or Visa, not AMEX.
They now take Amex.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:31 am

[QUOTE=ohcanada;13047469]It's odd to me to see all the comments about not being able to use Amex. I have an Amex Plat and an AeroPlat and my wife and I do the vast majority of our spending ($150K+ annually) on the Plat card. We have a CIBC Aerogold Visa for those places where Amex doesn't work, but in my experience it's 90/10 acceptance/rejection.QUOTE]

This is y experience as well. Can't remember the last time I couldn't use Amex. All a question of your spending patterns I guess. I also carry another card for those very rare times Amex isn't an option.

Cheers,
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Superstore, for one, does not take Amex.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Costco only accepts Amex. Safeway, Sobeys, Co-op also accept Amex.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
When AX tried to get my merchant business years ago, when my business was starting and only took VS (not even MC then), AX's reason for me to accept their cards is that a business will attract higher spending customers if they accept AX. I don't buy this theory but I signed up anyways because I wanted to give my clients as many choices as possible.

AX's theory: Higher spending people usually shop at places that take AX. Therefore the businesses that accept AX attract higher spending people.

I'm not convinced how true this statement is but usually people who complain about places that don't take AX apparently spend less than those people who don't complain about this.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:17 pm

I find it's usually the Costco crowd that are staunch supporters of Amex.

Higher spending crowd? Dunno about that...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
I'm not convinced how true this statement is but usually people who complain about places that don't take AX apparently spend less than those people who don't complain about this.
I'm one of those people who hate using cash. I hate using a $5 note for a $3.71 purchase because I don't want to carry the change around. So, I end up using credit cards for almost all purchases and it's easier for my record keeping if everything is on one card. With the MasterCard I've been using, that's been fairly easy to accomplish. With the Amex, I'll still have to use a MasterCard or Visa for ten to twenty small purchases a month (including the Tim Horton's rubbish my wife likes). It's no big deal and I really won't lose out on too many points, but it's just kind of annoying. I stopped using the Amex AeroplanPlus card for that exact reason.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I find it's usually the Costco crowd that are staunch supporters of Amex.

Higher spending crowd? Dunno about that...
As I said, I don't really know hw true it is. But I sure do not ever go to Costco. I use AX because of the extra perks like better CSR, extra points, Centurion or Platinum benefits etc.

As in my business, I think by offering more payment options for my clients despite a slightly higher overhead shows that my business is at least slightly more customer-oriented in this aspect than my competitors. This may help attracting the crowds who prefer to use AX, the ones who HAVE an AX and appreciate the perks albeit a higher annual fee than those who only wants a no fee card. Any one who spends more should realize that although some cards carry a higher fee, if one spends a lot on the card, the annual fee will become a non-issue and is many folds offset by the perks that come with using the card.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
ugh AMEX is crap.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
I am wondering why I would hang on to my Amex Aeroplan Platinum now, except for the lounge access...as the SPG Amex will allow me to convert to Aeroplan when needed and to other airlines when needed as well, such as Emirates....This seems to be a no brainer...am I missing something here?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:13 pm

Nope, you're not missing anything.

You could also purchase a lot of lounge passes for the equivalent of the Amex AP Plat card fee.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:00 pm

Angry Why pay for the card

I have been following this thread (and the old one) for some time now. I really appreciate many of your insight. I love my Starwood MC and max out every year. I have a simple policy, I do not pay for Credit Cards. Having said this, I do not understand where the attraction is, to a SPC card that will cost $50 or $100.

a) I currently have a AMEX Blue Sky. It is FREE and I earn 1.25% for all my purchases. If I spend $40 000 I earn $500 vs 40 000 SPG points (two free flights in North America). With a $100 fee, give me the BLUE SKY.

b) If you must pay for a card why not the Citi Bank Divers Edge Master Card. For $59 you will earn 2% of all of your purchases upto $50 000. I spend $50 000 and earn $1 000 or 50 000 points. Give me the $1000.

For all of those who fear that AMEX will not be accepted in some places, think of this. Use you amex at a grocery store, gas station or pharmacy, and buy Gift cards.. (Second cup, Licks ... this way your will card will be more widly accepted).

If there is a charge, I will not be applying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.