Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:14 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
I've already cancelled my MBNA and look foward to trying this one out.
I'm keeping my MBNA replacement MC for another year or two so that I'll still have extended warranty coverage on the larger items I've purchased with my MBNA SPG MC. I just won't use it much.

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Amex is just not accepted very much in Canada.
It hasn't been my recent experience that it "is just not accepted very much in Canada". Almost everywhere has in my use the last month or so. Only a couple have not accepted AMEX (Zehrs/Loblaws and UPS store) so far. I know there are more, but it is probably something over 80% acceptance at the places I am likely to spend many $.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by JWL
It hasn't been my recent experience that it "is just not accepted very much in Canada". Almost everywhere has in my use the last month or so. Only a couple have not accepted AMEX (Zehrs/Loblaws and UPS store) so far. I know there are more, but it is probably something over 80% acceptance at the places I am likely to spend many $.
I've had trouble using my corporate Amex card at restaurants at YVR. There are lots of places in Canada where I try to use my corporate Amex and can't. Up to now it just made my expense reports more difficult, now it will also reduce the *points earning opportunities.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG, HH, Aeroplan
FOREX Fee

Any idea what the FOREX fee might be? I think MBNA charges 2.5% on purchases abroad.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG,Air Canada aeroplan,
my experience differs. there is a huge number of retailers refusing to accept Amex. Cant blame them the as a business owner I have the capability to accept it but I discourage my customers from using it as the cost is almost double what it costs to accept Visa/MC.

Its a huge disappointment that SPG doe not realize that Amex is not so widely accepted in Canada. the market in the US and Canada is so different in that aspect.

in addition most people who are FF (which are usually the same as SPG members) travel outside of north America where its not accepted at all.

I cant understand what their thinking is on this? even aeroplan which are partners with amex but still have the cibc visa. I wonder if there contract with amex would allow a similar think like partnering with an other bank so we could have a SPG MC or Visa? even if its at a lesser value (like $2 for 1 spg point) I would still go with a MC/Visa over Amex.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:32 am

Well, that's too bad. Likely a yearly fee and less acceptance. AMEX is exactly what I think the majority of us didn't want. But SPG had to do something and fast. In this case AMEX is easiest since they already had a partnership established. Unfortunately a couple places I use my credit card the most for the highest regular purchases won't accept AMEX. I'm undecided if I should switch over, I'm thinking not.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I don't understand this acceptance issue. I can't think of a place that I shop at that doesn't accept AX. Maybe I only go to higher end places.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
I don't understand this acceptance issue. I can't think of a place that I shop at that doesn't accept AX. Maybe I only go to higher end places.
Where do you buy your groceries ? Do you buy your own groceries ?

BOOO to the replacement card being Amex. BOOO
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:00 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by neuron
late checkout (4pm), triple points on stays. I have always been given a better room (better view, corner, sometimes suites) with my Gold Status.
Triple points? I don't think so, try a 50% bonus. If you always get a better room as a Gold, you're quite lucky.
Originally Posted by montrealboy
in addition most people who are FF (which are usually the same as SPG members) travel outside of north America where its not accepted at all.
Listen, I'm not going to argue that it's less widely accepted outside the US or North America, but to claim "its not accepted at all" outside of North America is just ridiculous.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
Where do you buy your groceries ? Do you buy your own groceries ?
Pusateri's, Whole Foods, Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya, ...
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Sobey's also takes my AMEX card
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:33 pm

Too bad about Amex

I actually just cancelled my Amex Platinum and one big reason is that I got tired of being told 'Sorry, we don't take American Express'. I don't think it's ever happened in the US, to be fair, but it happens regularly in Canada and in Europe when I travel. I would love to do my shopping at Pusateri's and Whole Foods, but there's nothing like that anywhere near here.

I was planning on switching my MBNA SPG card to the new SPG card, but I just can't see doing it for this card unless it's free. I'll just have to start looking for a new credit card .

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
Triple points? I don't think so, try a 50% bonus. If you always get a better room as a Gold, you're quite lucky.
Listen, I'm not going to argue that it's less widely accepted outside the US or North America, but to claim "its not accepted at all" outside of North America is just ridiculous.
I am pretty sure it was 2X on SPG $ spent and 1X on my AMEX charge.

As for better rooms, in the last year, it has been consistently a better room (1 suite, 3 club rooms, rest corners).

as for less acceptance of AMEX, yes, it is less accepted, but AMEX acceptance is increasing significantly in Canada. I have never had a problem using it.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:16 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I am pretty sure it was 2X on SPG $ spent and 1X on my AMEX charge.
Everyone gets 2 SPG points per dollar, Golds get a 50% bonus, so another 1 SPG point per dollar. Anything you get from your AMEX is an AMEX bonus and you'd get that even if you weren't Gold, so it's not what I'd call a Gold bonus. Even adding the Gold and AMEX bonus, that's only a 150% bonus on points earned (but again, I wouldn't count AMEX since it's available to anyone regardless of status).
As for better rooms, in the last year, it has been consistently a better room (1 suite, 3 club rooms, rest corners).
I know Platinums who don't even get upgrades on every stay, so you should consider yourself very lucky to get upgrades on every stay as a Gold. I certainly don't get upgraded on every stay as a lowly Gold.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I haven't noticed a difference in the number of retailers refusing Amex in Canada vs. the US. Plenty of retailers in the US won't accept it - but they are usually independent, Mom/Pop retailers, not chains.

I'm guessing Starwood wanted some consistency, so when they dropped MBNA, they opted for Amex instead of shopping for another retail banking partner....plus aren't most of the banks in Canada already tied to other loyalty programs like Air Miles, Aeroplan or their own home-grown rewards plan?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:28 pm

Not Amex

Oh poop!!

I was hoping not Amex but figured it would probably be........I currently have an AMEX airmiles card which I like using that for............Now I'm screwed as I will have to make a decision. I only like really carrying two cards - maybe three - I liked the MBNA card as I used that if a place would not accept AMEX............which is common here in Canada. Now it looks like I will continue to use my RBC VISA and make a decision on the other.

Sad day for me.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.