Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

People threaten; how many have left Starwood? . . .

Old Feb 12, 10, 3:53 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood

left Starwood for another hotel chain in the last 12 months?

Reading on this forum there are loads of posters who threaten that because of soap, a billing error, not being recognized, or some other reason they are leaving Starwood. I'm curious how many actually have?

I haven't left Starwood, but I have noticed that as of now all of my bookings are Hyatt and I have 18 stays so far this year at Hyatt with 0 at Starwood.

Anybody else? Just curious. . .
Old Feb 12, 10, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by ldsant View Post

Reading on this forum there are loads of posters who threaten that because of soap, a billing error, not being recognized, or some other reason they are leaving Starwood. I'm curious how many actually have?

I haven't left Starwood, but I have noticed that as of now all of my bookings are Hyatt and I have 18 stays so far this year at Hyatt with 0 at Starwood.

If they did leave, they probably don't participate in this forum or at least anywhere near as much.

when I left CO in 2003; I didn't go back to the forum unless it was a question on burning miles
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Mar Gld, SPG Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
left Sept 2009. Just burning points now.
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've read enough "I'm leaving" posts to hypothesize that the rotation pretty much nets out over time. Though I suspect a minority of the posts actually result in more than trivial action.
Old Feb 12, 10, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
As a FT I think that "leaving" SPG doesn't mean avoid 100%, but moving your business to other chain (still staying at the good SPG properties, who recognize the SPG program or where your other chain has no properties).
As for me I "left" SPG last year for Hyatt, but still stay often at some of their Asian properties (Korea, Japan), avoid Singapore, HK, some China and US properties.
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
If they did leave, they probably don't participate in this forum or at least anywhere near as much.
That's likely true. We certainly aren't going to get data from Starwood on change in elites counts or reduction in bookings by Plats.

I, too, am in burn mode with SPG. I'm using last year's backup as #1, and searching for new #2 chain.

I had some great stays last year (Plat defectors: burn points at the Haciendas while you can) but too many were ordinary or even deficient for the category booked. I can get better value elsewhere, whether spending $100/night or $600/night.
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant View Post

Well.... and then they are those who left .. slunk back and would never admit it here if they did come back (or if they even left).
Secondly those who threaten to leave especially if they travel Internationally very often find they have limited options since SPG is better than Hilton and Marriott and outside the US Hyatt
is pretty limited almost bordering on nonexsistent.

IMHO Ftalk has a sort of "oriental thought process" (for want of a better expression) where saving face is everything

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Feb 12, 10 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:37 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
My decision would never involve leaving Starwood but whether it is worth continuing to actively pursue elite status. Most of my stays are in Sydney so maintaining status "on the cheap" is not really an option.

Sometimes I stay at a Starwood hotel when a comparable, or more convenient hotel is cheaper, to keep my stays up. If I get long term real benefits, I'll continue. If not, I'll probably play the field based on current pricing/promos and add a couple more cards to my (already bulging) wallet.

I've got multiple airline memberships, no real elite status, but financially it works well for me.
Old Feb 12, 10, 5:39 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Well on the flipside, the HHonors devaluation left a sour taste in my mouth, so here I am at SPG.

Couldn't be happier.
Old Feb 12, 10, 6:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Regardless of who have left, about to leave, or contemplating leaving SPG ... it is general advice from the Lurkers here, that statistically, the number of elite members are quite stable from year to year.

So my point is, you may have left, you are about to leave or thinking about to leave .... but the general fact is, someone else out there in this world will step up onto the plate and fill in your shoes.
Old Feb 12, 10, 6:53 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Proud Plat here, three years in a row now and *no* intention of departing the brand. Whilst SPG does have it's deficiencies, I've been treated so well as a Plat I can't see why I would defect.

Previously I was a HHonors & Hyatt elite but on balance I think I'm much better off as a SPG elite.

Long live SPG!
Old Feb 12, 10, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR LT Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Due to my current situation with my job and my travel patterns, I have no choice but to stick with SPG. I don't really see what people are fussing about.

No plans in the near future to defect.
Old Feb 12, 10, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I have severely reduced my stays with Starwood over the past 12 months due to a couple customer service issues, and I will likely not make platinum this year after a miscommunicated resort fee in the Bahamas.

Unfortunately, it likely will not net any positive result for me, as Hhonors is my second choice and not nearly as good of a reward program.
Old Feb 12, 10, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had one stay/two nights in 2009 due to the hotel being walking distance to my meetings and I anticipate no stays this year...do I count?
Old Feb 12, 10, 10:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K, Hertz PC
In my case it seems more like SPG left me instead of the other way around. In the past couple of years four of the Sheratons in the Boston area have re-flagged or closed: Nashua, Newton, Danvers and now Braintree. Combined with a status match and the new Diamond benefits at Hyatt, this situation has made it easy for me to switch most of my business to Hyatt. I'll still reach Platinum level, but my years of 100+ nights at Sheratons are over.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: