Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Change of Availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Question Strange Change of Availability

I was looking to book a cash and points reservation in Milan 4/15-4/18. All three fs hotels were available yesterday. I go to book today and none are available. Not only that, there is no straight award availability either in any of the three as all the cash rates have swiched to some "chainwide discount" designation. Has anyone encountered anything similar ? Is this likely to be a temporary issue or am I really out of luck ? This really messes up our plans as the cash rates are just incredibly high. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:43 am

All three properties are available for points redemption.

The availability display is misleading. Try again and click *Redeem starpoints"

Good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
All three properties are available for points redemption.

The availability display is misleading. Try again and click *Redeem starpoints"

Good luck.
Thanks. Well technically it does not say no availability for straight award reservation - just says to call and doesn't let you book online. This is not a good sign usually for properties that were bookable on line yesterday. Also, I was really hoping for cash and points - much better value and that was bookable on line yesterday for all three hotels as well and shows not available now. Still feels like a glitch to me.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by const3
I was looking to book a cash and points reservation in Milan 4/15-4/18. All three fs hotels were available yesterday. I go to book today and none are available. Not only that, there is no straight award availability either in any of the three as all the cash rates have swiched to some "chainwide discount" designation. Has anyone encountered anything similar ? Is this likely to be a temporary issue or am I really out of luck ? This really messes up our plans as the cash rates are just incredibly high. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks. Well technically it does not say no availability for straight award reservation - just says to call and doesn't let you book online. This is not a good sign usually for properties that were bookable on line yesterday. Also, I was really hoping for cash and points - much better value and that was bookable on line yesterday for all three hotels as well and shows not available now. Still feels like a glitch to me.
Anyone else want to answer this one or should I suggest doing this in this very forum?

Oh very well.....Book with C&P... but no C&P rooms available!

I'd also like to add that inventory changes daily so what you saw yesterday, perhaps even a few hours earlier, is subject to change.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Anyone else want to answer this one or should I suggest doing this in this very forum?

Oh very well.....Book with C&P... but no C&P rooms available!

I'd also like to add that inventory changes daily so what you saw yesterday, perhaps even a few hours earlier, is subject to change.
I get all that, but three hotels going from available for all three nights to not available at all within a few hours is strange. Probably is just bad luck, but I was hoping someone may have some insights. Getting a room for 4.8K points plus $90 where the rates start at E600 would have been perfect and its hard to let that go... I guess paying 12K/night for that room is not a terrible deal either, but the fact that this booking option is not available online either suggests to me that something maybe wrong with the system... If its not a worthwhile discussion feel free to ignore...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I get all that, but three hotels going from available for all three nights to not available at all within a few hours is strange. Probably is just bad luck, but I was hoping someone may have some insights. Getting a room for 4.8K points plus $90 where the rates start at E600 would have been perfect and its hard to let that go... I guess paying 12K/night for that room is not a terrible deal either, but the fact that this booking option is not available online either suggests to me that something maybe wrong with the system... If its not a worthwhile discussion feel free to ignore...

Have you picked up the phone and call CCC???
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Are you sure there was C&P availability yesterday? Did you actually view specific room types available on C&P or did you just see the green checkmark? There has been a problem with the green checkmark indicating C&P availability when there is none.

2) If rates are high, which they are, it probably means that demand is high. With high demand, availability disappearing is not unlikely.

3) The bookable rate type is not the key point. Chainwide discount usually refers to a SET code discount. What is important is the room type--if the property is selling standard rooms then you can book an award night.

Call and get something booked! Note the cancellation policy and monitor the availability so you can change it to something more to your liking should that become possible.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Have you picked up the phone and call CCC???
No, can you do that for me pls ?

just kidding, thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soitgoes
1) Are you sure there was C&P availability yesterday? Did you actually view specific room types available on C&P or did you just see the green checkmark? There has been a problem with the green checkmark indicating C&P availability when there is none.

2) If rates are high, which they are, it probably means that demand is high. With high demand, availability disappearing is not unlikely.

3) The bookable rate type is not the key point. Chainwide discount usually refers to a SET code discount. What is important is the room type--if the property is selling standard rooms then you can book an award night.

Call and get something booked! Note the cancellation policy and monitor the availability so you can change it to something more to your liking should that become possible.
Thats very helpfull. Thank you very much. I did click through to booking and it gave me room types for at least one of the properties. I was aware of that check mark issue since it came up in another reservation I was making the day before. Anyway, it looks like the only room types available are upgraded rooms and I booked that for now. I guess if this is a glitch and C&P comes back, I can always cancel. Thanks again !
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:03 am
tyn

Originally Posted by soitgoes
If rates are high, which they are, it probably means that demand is high. With high demand, availability disappearing is not unlikely.
Furniture Show
Milan is usually packed for that, consider yourself lucky if there are award rooms available
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Didn't know where to post this but this seems as good as any.
There is some strange stuff going on at the moment. I was looking at the SOTP Sydney check in 24th Feb for one night. The lowest rate comes up at AU$415 and no free nights available for redemption.

When I checked the room list there are standard rooms available (yes, I'm sure ) but every room on the list includes "executive club benefits" in the description. I wasn't going to use points anyway and I'm not paying extra for a room that includes club benefits (I expected a rate of around $250-$300).

I'm not phoning about it, I plan to be in Sydney and thought I'd rack up an extra stay but I'll just catch the train home instead. Just posted it because I've never seen this before.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:43 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by snufl
...When I checked the room list there are standard rooms available...
I think you are working with some faulty info on this one. None of the rooms I see online for this date are standard rooms. Room types I and J are on the SPG4 Specialty Select award rate plan, so they would not be available to book online, but might be available by calling the Customer Contact Center.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by snufl
Didn't know where to post this but this seems as good as any.
There is some strange stuff going on at the moment. I was looking at the SOTP Sydney check in 24th Feb for one night. The lowest rate comes up at AU$415 and no free nights available for redemption.

When I checked the room list there are standard rooms available (yes, I'm sure ) but every room on the list includes "executive club benefits" in the description. I wasn't going to use points anyway and I'm not paying extra for a room that includes club benefits (I expected a rate of around $250-$300).

I'm not phoning about it, I plan to be in Sydney and thought I'd rack up an extra stay but I'll just catch the train home instead. Just posted it because I've never seen this before.

snufl,

I noticed the same thing when I booked a one nighter for the 25th.
I suspect they might have a big conference booking and want to make value added margin on the remaining rooms?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I think you are working with some faulty info on this one. None of the rooms I see online for this date are standard rooms. Room types I and J are on the SPG4 Specialty Select award rate plan, so they would not be available to book online, but might be available by calling the Customer Contact Center.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Hi William, I'm looking at paid rates:

2 Single Beds
Non Smoking Cityside, Executive Club Benefits, High Speed Internet For A Fee, Luxurious Marble Bathroom, Separate Shower/bath

The bolding is mine. This is a standard room, it's the lowest room type ever available ( well except for one internal no-view room) and these are usually available for redemptions. Trust me, I know this hotel like the back of my hand. The only difference is the Club Benefits. I'm not worried about it personally, I just thought I'd picked up a glitch.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:10 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by aussiechris
snufl,

I noticed the same thing when I booked a one nighter for the 25th.
I suspect they might have a big conference booking and want to make value added margin on the remaining rooms?
If you are talking about these two room types:

1 King
Non Smoking Cityside, Executive Club Benefits, High Speed Internet For A Fee, Luxurious Marble Bathroom, Separate Shower/bath

and

2 Single Beds

The first one corresponds to room type J and the second one corresponds to room type I. Neither of these room types is on the SPG4 rate plan, so they are not standard rooms. They are on the SPG4SS rate plan, however, which corresponds to a Specialty Select award room type.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.