Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is this common? Special rate "SPG Upgrade Benefit Not Applicable"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

Single Special Offer. INTERNET FOR FREE, EARN 1000 STARPOINTS PER STAY, FREE PAY PER VIEW , SPG UPGRADE BENEFIT NOT APPLICABLE...

For a stay at the Sheraton Majestic in Milan. It's a pretty good rate compared to the other rates they have, but I haven't seen this much before - to just state hidden in the rate conditions that "SPG upgrade benefits are not applicable".

I hope this will not become more common, otherwise we would suddenly see all kinds of discounted rates excluding SPG benefits...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:28 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by attorney28
Single Special Offer. INTERNET FOR FREE, EARN 1000 STARPOINTS PER STAY, FREE PAY PER VIEW , SPG UPGRADE BENEFIT NOT APPLICABLE...

For a stay at the Sheraton Majestic in Milan. It's a pretty good rate compared to the other rates they have, but I haven't seen this much before - to just state hidden in the rate conditions that "SPG upgrade benefits are not applicable".

I hope this will not become more common, otherwise we would suddenly see all kinds of discounted rates excluding SPG benefits...
No, I would say this would be abby-normal.

What dates are you checking and what offer is this?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Jan 14 to 15 (tomorrow) and it is quoted on the overview page as the cheapest available rate.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

I did make the reservation, just to see what happens when I show up at the hotel .
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by attorney28
Jan 14 to 15 (tomorrow) and it is quoted on the overview page as the cheapest available rate.
Thanks. I'll check and see what the SPG gurus think about this. But, you'll probably be long gone before I get an answer, so let me know how it works out.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you William. And happy new year!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They describe it on their website, but interestingly leave off the part about SPG Upgrade benefit not applicable (though I see that when doing a dummy booking).
http://www.sheratondianamajestic.com/en/single-offer
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO Platinum, SPG Platinum
Maybe it is because the special rate and bonus points are specifically for a single room (presumably meaning a much smaller one with only a twin bed, something common in european hotels).
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could this also be due to fashion week which commences on Saturday?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:35 pm

I find this very distrubing, for all kinds of reasons. It's pretty clear what the property is trying to do. The problem is it violates the spirit of the whole *wood promise - which is upgrades based on status, not product.

I do hope corporate steps in because it really is the thin edge of the wedge. This is potentially a 'brand killer' IMO.

Cheers,
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
I find this very distrubing, for all kinds of reasons. It's pretty clear what the property is trying to do. The problem is it violates the spirit of the whole *wood promise - which is upgrades based on status, not product.

I do hope corporate steps in because it really is the thin edge of the wedge. This is potentially a 'brand killer' IMO.

Cheers,
Actually, there is a precedent for this kind of thing and it didn't kill the W brand or SPG when it happened. However, it is - as I said - abby-normal.

But, I'm still waiting for word from on high, which probably will not come for a couple of weeks at the earliest.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:53 pm

Why I say IMO. I can only speak for myself. If I were to show someone a list of my stays, it would be quite noticible I haven't stayed at a W for a least five years now...

Cheers,
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:11 pm
tyn

What they're trying to do is pretty clear IMHO.
They give you the option of taking a promo that gives free internet, free movies and 1000 points instead of an upgrade on the single room type booked.

It's an option and you're not compelled to take it. Just book another rate and you can go for the upgrade.

Wanting the free internet, the movies and the extra points plus the upgrade seems kind of greedy to me
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think this is a "brand-killer", though I don't particularly like it. At the very least, the promo page on their website should contain this restriction--it shouldn't be buried under the rate description during booking. Yes, tyn, they are trying to book single rooms. However, if the hotel doesn't fill up, I don't really see why they won't upgrade based on space availability--as always. They still meet their goal of selling the single rooms if they get full. If they don't fill up, they aren't harmed by upgrading. If they do fill up, then those who booked single rooms--regardless of status--get those rooms.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by tyn
What they're trying to do is pretty clear IMHO.
They give you the option of taking a promo that gives free internet, free movies and 1000 points instead of an upgrade on the single room type booked.

It's an option and you're not compelled to take it. Just book another rate and you can go for the upgrade.

Wanting the free internet, the movies and the extra points plus the upgrade seems kind of greedy to me
I think the concern expressed is not with this particular rate (which may indeed be a fair trade and a nice offer of sorts from the hotel, and given the current rules it seems like they could deny you an upgrade arbitrarily based on the current language).

The concern is that the restriction is going to start popping up commonly on discount rates without special provisions like points/PPV -- upgrade price discrimination of sorts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.