Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

NYC Area, Where to Stay with a cost adverse grandmother?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Area, Where to Stay with a cost adverse grandmother?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Anywhere in NYC on your points! ^ Come on, she is your Grandma!!!!

Last edited by NWAsilvELITE; Jan 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by money_opp
alrightly, I just thought Grandmothers are less frequent travelers and not "up to date" on programs and points, but are on quality and value.. have a Twinkie!
A twinkie? Are you kidding me? It's resort season! I need to remain slim as to fit into my swimsuit! A twinkie?! Puh-lease!

Anyway....use points. Get a nice room and show granny a good time!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:33 pm

HAPPY GRANDMOTHER'S DAY everyone!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saad
i really wouldn't go by these rankings....
Nor would I. TripAdvisor *reviews* can be useful (but not each individual review is helpful or valid), but the *rankings* are useless.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:15 pm

Tell her you have booked the Motel 8 in Long Island to save money but that you will need to ride the subway alot and hopefully after dark she will get used to it.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I have seen $79-95 rates for the Sheraton in Tarrytown, which is just a short ride on Metro-North into Grand Central. I'm not sure how far the hotel is from the train station, though. And you have to add the cost of Metro-North tickets to your budget. I'm just sayin'...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:35 pm

10K points and $200 gets you some into some nice places. (SPG Amex will get you the 10K points if you can...) I'd do Parker Meridian again, if only for the Burger Joint.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
I live on the Upper West Side now. A friend stayed at The Beacon a few years ago and found the rooms tiny. I did a mattress run at the 4 Points Midtown when it opened and had a great rate; nice, but it's alongside the Port Authority Bus Terminal and can feel creepy later at night when the street is very quiet and you have to walk mid-block.

As for hotel's in my neck of the woods, a residential area right by the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium, and across Central Park from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, here are a few. I've heard some good things about the Park 79, and their rates can be very good. Same for On the Ave.

Lucerne Hotel The
www.thelucernehotel.com - (212) 875-1000

Imperial Court Hotel
imperialcourthotel.com - (212) 787-6600

Hotel Belleclaire
www.hotelbelleclaire.com - (212) 362-7701

Park 79 Hotel
www.park79.com - (212) 787-3300

On the Avenue New York
www.ontheave-nyc.com - (212) 362-1100

Milburn Hotel
www.milburnhotel.com - (212) 362-1006

Hotel Beacon
www.beaconhotel.com - (212) 787-1100
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Just a quick update, to try and get some more opinions. I see the W Hoboken is a Cat. 5 hotel. For the dates I'm looking to stay, I can get a Wonderful room for $343 for the two nights, or I can get the Spectacular for $358. Either way, I've pulled strings and will be able to get the ZBT rate honored, but the Director of Revenue for the property will not make the reservation nonrefundable (and I'm assuming it won't be prepaid either.)

That is certainly a good deal for this hotel, isn't it? If I'm right, then I think this is where we'll stay. My last question would be what is the difference between these two types of rooms, besides floor number?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Triley
...but the Director of Revenue for the property will not make the reservation nonrefundable (and I'm assuming it won't be prepaid either.)

That is certainly a good deal for this hotel, isn't it? If I'm right, then I think this is where we'll stay. My last question would be what is the difference between these two types of rooms, besides floor number?
why on earth would you want to make the reservation nonrefundable...? (you now have options, if plans fall through, or you find a better deal somewhere else)

as for wonderful and spectacular...it looks like it is the same size according to the website...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:31 pm

If you decide to stay in NJ, there's a Courtyard right next to the Newport PATH station.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by myperks
why on earth would you want to make the reservation nonrefundable...? (you now have options, if plans fall through, or you find a better deal somewhere else)

as for wonderful and spectacular...it looks like it is the same size according to the website...
I guess my wording was not the best. The Director of Revenue will give me the ZBT promotion rate (stay one night, get the next 50% off), which is normally nonrefundable, and will make it refundable for me.

I told her that we will definitely be taking this trip, it would just be an issue of the weather. If the weather isn't that great, then we'll push the trip back one week, is all.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has stayed at the hotel, about the room types. I left a voice mail for the Director on Friday after she left, and I am expecting a phone call back tomorrow (Monday), and would rather not be walking in to the conversation blind, sort to speak.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Just a quick update, to try and get some more opinions. I see the W Hoboken is a Cat. 5 hotel. For the dates I'm looking to stay, I can get a Wonderful room for $343 for the two nights, or I can get the Spectacular for $358. Either way, I've pulled strings and will be able to get the ZBT rate honored, but the Director of Revenue for the property will not make the reservation nonrefundable (and I'm assuming it won't be prepaid either.)

i don't believe there is any difference in the rooms, except for the higher floor number....
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Update: Noticing some NYC hotels coming out with some good deals. Just missed the Westin Times Square for $199 a night, it just changed back to $297 today.

Anyhow, my rate at the W Hoboken for a Spectacular room is $179 per night, so not a bad rate. I think I'd like the view of the NYC from the room, and I've always wanted to try a W, which is why I chose the hotel. We don't really have the much of a problem commuting to and from the hotel.

That being said, the W Tuscany can now be had for ~$187 per night for a Spectacular room. I just saw that at the W Court you I could get a Fantastic Suite for only ~$220 per night. (I'd have to stop and figure if I can swing that or not before reserving it.)

Between these three W hotels, which one (on average of course) would have the best service? The few I've dealt with at the W Hoboken so far have been fantastic, but I'm starting to ponder if it'd be worth the hassle of dragging the baggage all the way out there, as opposed to just grabbing a cab to a local hotel.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Update: Noticing some NYC hotels coming out with some good deals. Just missed the Westin Times Square for $199 a night, it just changed back to $297 today.

Anyhow, my rate at the W Hoboken for a Spectacular room is $179 per night, so not a bad rate. I think I'd like the view of the NYC from the room, and I've always wanted to try a W, which is why I chose the hotel. We don't really have the much of a problem commuting to and from the hotel.

That being said, the W Tuscany can now be had for ~$187 per night for a Spectacular room. I just saw that at the W Court you I could get a Fantastic Suite for only ~$220 per night. (I'd have to stop and figure if I can swing that or not before reserving it.)

Between these three W hotels, which one (on average of course) would have the best service? The few I've dealt with at the W Hoboken so far have been fantastic, but I'm starting to ponder if it'd be worth the hassle of dragging the baggage all the way out there, as opposed to just grabbing a cab to a local hotel.
i would go with either the tuscany or the court....they are basically one hotel, right next to each other with shared facilities....$220 for a fantastic suite at the court sounds like a fantastic option....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.