Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Beckles
Your percentage went from 99% to over 95% in just 12 minutes, hope it doesn't slip too much more in the next hour!
No, he just stays in alofts 4% of the time
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This thread has been very interesting. Thanks Blissy!

I'm a huge SPG fan, and the memories from unique properties such as Marques de Riscal, the Hacienda's, E&R Venice are hard to beat. W's are a breath of fresh air in the world of hotel chains.

But I'm concerned that the SPG program is falling behind (internet, breakfast, etc.) and the sharp decline in basic amenities is frustrating (bottles of water, shower gel, more use of 'subject-to-availability' clause for upgrades, etc.)

I like the guaranteed benefits that Hyatt Diamond members seem to receive consistently and the focus on personal service. I'll be giving Hyatt a good look in 2010.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Is it me, or does something feel hollow about the Hyatt experience. I often feel a sense of reluctance from the staff compared to Starwood's generally upbeat approach, in my experience.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
My own preference after several hundred stays at each of the following chains as a top tier is :

First tier:
- IC RA

Second tier:
- SPG PLT
- HYATT DIA

Third tier:
- Marriott PLT
- HH DIA

But at the end it all comes down whether the chain has good properties where you are visiting for work/leisure.

Hyatt is quite generous when it comes to complimentary suite upgrades at some domestic properties but nowhere near as generous as SPG's when you count in all the international properties too. Four guaranteed suite upgrades is not a lot if you spend 300+ nights per year at hotels.

As someone pointed out there will be increase in number of Hyatt Diamond Lites and I doubt that the properties will continue to go above and beyond what is required by the program.

The yearly FFN promotion has always been the most generous.

Personally I do like the fact that there is no Hyatt GP affiliated credit card flooding the market with points that would eventually lead to an increase in redemption levels as has happened with SPG,.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
[QUOTE=nissan motor;13114770] In my opinion, you should not give all the money to one chain because they will start to think you book with them whatever they do.
Bingo! We have a winner.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platiamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
My own preference after several hundred stays at each of the following chains as a top tier is :

First tier:
- IC RA

Second tier:
- SPG PLT
- HYATT DIA

Third tier:
- Marriott PLT
- HH DIA

But at the end it all comes down whether the chain has good properties where you are visiting for work/leisure.

Hyatt is quite generous when it comes to complimentary suite upgrades at some domestic properties but nowhere near as generous as SPG's when you count in all the international properties too. Four guaranteed suite upgrades is not a lot if you spend 300+ nights per year at hotels.

As someone pointed out there will be increase in number of Hyatt Diamond Lites and I doubt that the properties will continue to go above and beyond what is required by the program.

The yearly FFN promotion has always been the most generous.

Personally I do like the fact that there is no Hyatt GP affiliated credit card flooding the market with points that would eventually lead to an increase in redemption levels as has happened with SPG,.
Informative , thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:36 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
According to this thread, it seems Hyatt has clear advantage over SPG in Domestic USA.
I have not paid attention to Hyatt for quite long time because my travel destinations have been mainly in Asia and Europe/Africa.

Do you still recommend Hyatt over SPG in these areas?
and if YES, what are the reasons?
I felt Hyatt seems to be more expensive than SPG properties in these areas, for example in Tokyo.
Almost no chance of mattress run(if needed).
Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt Tokyo mattress run could be quite expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Tak
According to this thread, it seems Hyatt has clear advantage over SPG in Domestic USA.
I have not paid attention to Hyatt for quite long time because my travel destinations have been mainly in Asia and Europe/Africa.

Do you still recommend Hyatt over SPG in these areas?
and if YES, what are the reasons?
I felt Hyatt seems to be more expensive than SPG properties in these areas, for example in Tokyo.
Almost no chance of mattress run(if needed).
Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt Tokyo mattress run could be quite expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Your profile says you are in Honolulu, why would you do a Mattress Run in Tokyo? And yes, that would be expensive.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:25 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by ldsant
Your profile says you are in Honolulu, why would you do a Mattress Run in Tokyo? And yes, that would be expensive.
Since I stay in Tokyo for at least 30 hotel nights every year, I usually stay Sheraton Miyako, Westin Tokyo and used to stay at Le Meridien Pacific(not anymore). When I go to BKK and Seoul (total another 20 nights a year), again I have so many options if I stay at SPG hotels. Same in Italy(at least 10 nights a year).
Therefore, I did not think about Hyatt for a while.

However, after I read this thread and a lot of Frequent Flyers mentioned something good about the Hyatt Diamond(I guess mainly in USA), I would like to try Hyatt for this year with status Match.
Especially, I plan to go paris soon, I might try Park Hyatt Vendome rather than Westin.
If there are any cities for inexpensive Hyatt Mattress run in Asia or Europe, I can keep Hyatt Diamond as well as SPG Platinum.

Last edited by Tak; Jan 6, 2010 at 12:17 am
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Park Hyatt Vandome = Breakfast + Free Internet
SPG Props in Paris = zilch

The thing is SPG is counting on PLATs who want suites.
To SPG, this is zero cost, because the room will be empty if noone books them. It's the same upgrade model that UA uses with SWU's.

On the other hand - Breakfast & Internet are actual costs.

I know someone who was a loyal SPG fan for the past 10 yrs, and after a couple of hours on the Hyatt forum, got his status match on the way.
He even managed to get FFN's reserved in his newly minted GP account, now that's what I call customer service ^^

Originally Posted by Tak
Especially, I plan to go paris soon, I might try Park Hyatt Vandome rather than Westin.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:51 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I am looking at mid-january and i can't find anything under $189 using hyatt.com in Irvine or Newport. PLease enlighten me as to alternate search methods. I locked in $103 at Anaheim Sheraton.
A random date (1/21) pulled up the "hard hat" rate of $69 at the Hyatt OC. Stop by Coscto and pick up a couple Hyatt Check Certificates to save up to 20% more.

The night of 1/23 is $119.20 at the Hyatt Irvine using the BREAKF rate code for the AAA rate. Using two Hyatt Check Certificates would bring that rate down to less than $100 for one night.

$69 is a steal for the Hyatt OC; even with the current remodel/construction issues it is a better property than the HR Irvine. If you're Diamond, you'll get a suite upgrade, decent breakfast buffet and free internet.

Last edited by JonathanIT; Jan 6, 2010 at 1:43 am
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
How is Hyatt's website compared to SPG.com?

Easy to find and book all kinds of rates? I often learn more about an SPG property from FlyerTalk than the hotel's own webpage. Easy to see your point activity? What about booking the FFN's online?

One more question: does Hyatt have anything similar to the SPG50?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:50 am

Great thread - thanx to blissword.

after reading the entire thread carefully, did my own research & surfing around the different sites and have just signed up to Hyatt's program.

i've been a borderline plat for SPG w/ circa 30 stays (but @ descent properties - Cat 3 & above) and figure it would be possible for me to hit Diamond with simliar amount of $ spent with Hyatt.

Thanks to this thread my stay plans for 2010 has changed. If SPG doesn't wake up & smell the morning coffee soon enough I trust I won't be the last to make such a decision.

Will miss the Ws and the Meridiens but I am tired of being told that the hotel is 'sold out' when the only other person in the lobby is the cleaning lady mopping the floor.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Interesting thread and nice comparison Bliss! I have always said the upgrade thing is a hit or miss situation with all programs and it really depends on the individual properties. I have to admit (and I have stated this in numerous threads on FT) that I am sick and tired of having to ask for a decent Plat. upgrade at most US Starwood properties. It's just plain annoying and I wish Starwood would do a better job enforcing upgrades IF available. Like most FT members I always seem to think that others are getting better upgrades than me based on posts here. Then again it is probably because most people report and post pics of their suite upgrades and do not do the same if they just get a "regular" room.

Since I qualified for Starwood Plat. in mid 2009 I have decide to give them another year to see if my personal upgrade percentage is any better moving forward. If not, I will probably move most of my business over to Hyatt. (even though I did not have a stellar upgrade percentage with them when I was Diamond with them in the past....maybe things have changed based on this and other reports) Sadly I have to use Hilton to fill the gaps in smaller towns that Starwood and Hyatt don't have properties but I have tried to limit that to a bare minimum because of their horrible program changes being implemented this month. No thanks and the hotels just don't compare to Starwood and Hyatt.

Bliss I have to say that I however enjoyed the wonderful pics of the suite you got at the Westin Moana Surfrider in Honolulu, Hawaii on your flickr page.

Last edited by christianj; Jan 6, 2010 at 7:15 am
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by christianj
Bliss I have to say that I however enjoyed the wonderful pics of the suite you got at the Westin Moana Surfrider in Honolulu, Hawaii on your flickr page.
You mean, the one that the other bliss booked and paid for (aka, not upgraded)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.