Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: Recent Hyatt Stays vs. Starwood Stays

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Isn't this comparism not a bit comparing apples and oranges.
SPG's elite treatment in the US is sometimes really rubbish - this one of the reasons I use IC hotels and my RA status (to my belief the best thing in the industry) whenever I can.
Interesting, since there are even less Intercontinental hotels out there ( about 20 in the US ) than Hyatt's and your Ambassador status will give you nothing but funny looks when you check in at any Holiday Inn Express or Indigo...not to mention the quality of IC's at locations like New York TB or Los Angeles ( where, ironically, the IC is a former Hyatt...)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Now, do we realise that 1) this thread has just driven a whole load of business to Hyatt, and 2) now there are going to be a lot more Diamonds? Personally, I'm not that selfish to care for the latter, I hope you all find the program that meets your needs. I like to hold elite status with 2 chains so I can choose from a variety of properties in different cities.
I would not call the posts of 2 dozen posters intending to switch loyalty a 'whole load of business' , but indeed the thread points out nicely that Hyatt has more guaranteed perks and less 'possible, if available & the front desk manager has a good day & all roome have already been cleaned ( or should we call it 'blissed' now ? ) perks'.

Your last comment is the most important one, though. Get top tier status in two programs and hope that more and more hotels will become part of one of these franchises. The percentage is still very low worldwide comparing it to the US.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aviators99
My only remaining questions that I haven't seen answered on this thread:

1) Can someone compare the comfort of the beds?

2) Can someone compare the average noise level?

Impossible to answer. Room location is certainly always very important. There are rooms at the Regency Bonita Springs right above a major air conditioning unit, while on the other side of the building, it is heavenly calm, so ymmv.

Grand Bed & Heavenly Bed are not too different.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
So, 73 posts already and no one has quantified the following:

Number of Hyatt hotels worldwide = ~400+

Number of Starwood hotels worldwide = ~800+

That's a two-to-one ratio! And both chains are dwarfed by the likes of Hilton (> 3,000) & IC Hotels (> 4,000).

However wonderful you consider Hyatt to be, it has quite a ways to go before it will be able to compete in number of locations with Starwood, never mind the others. (Or maybe Hyatt will acquire more properties and Starwood will shrink in the meantime?)
As a 100% leisure traveler, I don't have the ability to get top tier in more than 1 program (unless massive double stays appear when I'm free). Thus SPG having more international properties appeals to me more than Hyatt. I wish SPG had even more properties than they do now.

I think there are 1189 properties listed on the SPG website. Some of these aren't yet open and some will eventually leave. But around 1000-1100 probably right now that are bookable. That is a significant # over Hyatt, IMO. So much so that I leave my business with SPG as they are most places I'm going. I wish they had more but I'm content with what they offer now.

Last edited by schley; Jan 10, 2010 at 4:13 am
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This is the problem. SPG has hard and fast rules, which are followed or not followed by properties, at their whim.

These are two very important things to me.
1. While I haven't stayed in too many different SPG properties, all domestic Hyatt properties (with the possible exception of Summerfield suites) should have the Hyatt Grand Bed (even lower end Hyatt Places) - which is comparable to the Westin Heavenly Sleeper so that should not be an issue to you. Internationally Hyatt's beds do vary some as I'm sure does SPG's.

2. Noise level can't be addressed in one general statement since it really varies with a lot of factors. Only general statement that I would make on this is that the Hyatt Place (particularly those "older" renovated Amerisuites) properties all have the through-the-wall individual HVAC units which are very noisy (but then so do lower end SPG properties - even new aLofts). If noise is a major concern, I suggest that you visit the individual threads both here in SPG and in Hyatt of the properties that you would frequent and read and/or ask there. Even in "noisy" properties, there are quieter rooms and vice versa.

As to your first statement, I find that Hyatt usually delivers more than called for in their T&Cs while SPG often delivers less.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

My only remaining questions that I haven't seen answered on this thread:

1) My order of preference.
- Heavenly Bed
- Hyatt Grand Bed
- Sheraton Sweet Sleeper

2) Noise is really property dependent. I've been staying at a Hyatt recently that is very quiet, same with the Westin I was at for months before that. I spent last night at the Grand Hyatt in NYC and it was just as noisy as the Sheraton NY.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Interesting, since there are even less Intercontinental hotels out there ( about 20 in the US ) than Hyatt's and your Ambassador status will give you nothing but funny looks when you check in at any Holiday Inn Express or Indigo...not to mention the quality of IC's at locations like New York TB or Los Angeles ( where, ironically, the IC is a former Hyatt...)
My destinations in the US are not Springfield OH or Dumptown MI but Chicago, Washington, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles and New York. And in all these places are SPG's, Hilton's and IC's and IC gives me the best service (And I like the IC in NY). I have never ever spent a night in a HIX or Indigo and will certainly never do so. Hyatt is of no help for me as 90% of my travel is in Europe and their presence is close to zero. Their presence in the US is of no help for me - 10 nights a year will not give me any good. I have nothing against Hyatt; however it is a domestic US brand with some international outposts....
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
My destinations in the US are not Springfield OH or Dumptown MI but Chicago, Washington, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles and New York. And in all these places are SPG's, Hilton's and IC's and IC gives me the best service (And I like the IC in NY). I have never ever spent a night in a HIX or Indigo and will certainly never do so. Hyatt is of no help for me as 90% of my travel is in Europe and their presence is close to zero. Their presence in the US is of no help for me - 10 nights a year will not give me any good. I have nothing against Hyatt; however it is a domestic US brand with some international outposts....
Turns out that there's this little place called China, it's stuffed full of great Hyatts. Shanghai, you may have even heard of it, busting at the seams with Hyatts. I flew out of Manila few days ago, nice Hyatt there. Of course I could've stayed at one of the numerous Starwood properties - oh wait a sec' - they haven't got a hotel in that entire country.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by delter
Turns out that there's this little place called China, it's stuffed full of great Hyatts. Shanghai, you may have even heard of it, busting at the seams with Hyatts. I flew out of Manila few days ago, nice Hyatt there. Of course I could've stayed at one of the numerous Starwood properties - oh wait a sec' - they haven't got a hotel in that entire country.
There's also this little city called Tokyo with three, well maybe two, great Hyatts.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Turns out that there's this little place called China, it's stuffed full of great Hyatts.
And what is your point exactly? By my amateur eye, there appears to be only 16 Hyatts in all of China compared to more than 45 properties for *Wood (which looks to double in more than five years).

Oh, and Shanghai, which has three Hyatt's, has eight SPG properties, including a St. Regis and Westin that reportedly aren't too shabby.

Last edited by el_tigre; Jan 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm Reason: Adding Shanghai info...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Obviously, you haven't been to Shanghai. Any of the 3 Hyatt beats either St. Regis or Westin there.

Originally Posted by el_tigre

Oh, and Shanghai, which has three Hyatt's, has eight SPG properties, including a St. Regis and Westin that reportedly aren't too shabby.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Hate to be disagreeing with an attorney, but your argument is quite unfair. Hyatt has good representation in every major commercial center in the US you just listed. And along that same vein, Hyatt has properties in several major commercial centers in Europe(excluding Madrid and Barcelona): London (2), Paris (2), Milan, Zurich, Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt (Mainz to be exact), Warsaw, Moscow, Istanbul, etc. Sure they have little representation in smaller cities or tourist destinations, but for a global business traveler such as yourself, I would't rush to judgment as to zero presence in Europe.

By the way, like most here, I'm a big fan of both (Hyatt and SPG) programs here. Their programs have differing strengths that meet the bulk of my travel desires.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:02 pm

what's with all the new threads bashing SPG... and the "movement" to Hyatt...?

I GET IT..... Hyatt has some great properties...and yes, they have some great elite benefits... and yes, they may offer some great amenities...

I GET IT..... Hyatt's property choices are not as good as SPG, and yes, they cater to a different category of clients...

I GET IT..... SPG have more property choices... and yes, they have some excellent redemption options...

I GET IT..... SPG may not have the best IT infrastructure, and yes, there might be some email promo issues here and there, and yes, SPG may have some elite benefits' consistency issues...

and I GET IT

Originally Posted by jimmychang
Obviously, you haven't been to Shanghai. Any of the 3 Hyatt beats either St. Regis or Westin there.
Although i can't argue that Shanghai Hyatts "may" beat out some of the SPG options, everyones choices and needs are different.

We can all start threads saying one area's properties are better than the competing brand.

Turns out that there's this little place (haha...really a small country) called the Maldives, it's stuffed full of great SPGs (ok..maybe only 2). MALDIVES, you may have even heard of it (haha, maybe Maldives is not the best example). I flew out of Spain last month, some nice properties there. Of course I could've stayed at one of the numerous Hyatt properties - oh wait a sec' - they haven't got a hotel in the entire country of Spain, or next door in Portugal, or a couple other European countries...

Point is... Hyatt and SPG are all great properties. Some members prefer one to the other. Some members get better benefits at Hyatt and vice versa.

Last edited by myperks; Jan 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimmychang
My point had little to do with quality of property but rather representation. SPG has nearly three times the amount of properties in both Shanghai and China as a whole.

What if you are on a budget and need a hotel under, say, US$200? You are probably out of luck with Hyatt in Shanghai. You'll have options with SPG.

The point is you don't have a lot of choice with Hyatt. In international destinations, you will likely have very limited options if any at all. That's much less likely with *Wood.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The reason people are moving to or give preference to Hyatt is that Hyatt has really stepped up in recent years in terms of elite benefits, property quality and increased presence. SPG, the long time program leader, on the other hand, hasn't done much in response to retain its leading position. No more WOW from SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.