Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Year-end 2009 gift from SPG: Limited-edition luggage tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Year-end 2009 gift from SPG: Limited-edition luggage tags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ajamieson
No, I meant 25 nights. 25 stays of one night = minimum 25 nights.

It is not "free" - it cost Starwood money that could have been spent on something else. Besides, how can producing and posting an item that I immediately throw in the bin be anything other than a waste of time and money?
that would technically be classified as 25 stays meaning that you qualified on stays & not nights....

of course it is free....you got the gift for free....that is the nature of a gift....it generally costs someone money to buy you a gift & you get it for free....& if you read my post again, you will realise that just because you threw away the tags does not mean that everyone else did as well....if you didn't like it then too bad....for starwood it was not a waste of time & money....
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by saad
that would technically be classified as 25 stays meaning that you qualified on stays & not nights....
What on earth are you going on about? What has this got to do with qualification?

My point was that no-one who spends enough in hotels to be a Platinum is unlikely to want something as cheap-looking as these tags on their bags.

I am delighted that you are pleased with this piece of tat but I would hate Starwood to get the impression that yours was the only opinion. I hope that, if this exercise is repeated next year, we can opt out and claim the $0.86USD instead (so that I could get something more useful, like a piece of chewing gum).
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ajamieson
What on earth are you going on about? What has this got to do with qualification?

My point was that no-one who spends enough in hotels to be a Platinum is unlikely to want something as cheap-looking as these tags on their bags.

I am delighted that you are pleased with this piece of tat but I would hate Starwood to get the impression that yours was the only opinion. I hope that, if this exercise is repeated next year, we can opt out and claim the $0.86USD instead (so that I could get something more useful, like a piece of chewing gum).
dude....control your emotions....you indicated that anyone with plat status would not want this & you indicated it by saying anyone who spent 25 nights....i simply pointed out that its not 25 nights, but 25 stays....

& if you bothered to read through this thread then you would realise that i am not the only one who is pleased with this good gesture from starwood....there are others as well....so starwood is not likely to get just my opinion....furthermore, i never said i like the tags....they are pretty ordinary....but it doesn't matter because they are a free gift....you could have got nothing from starwood but instead you got free tags....if you don't like them then too bad....don't speak for others....

if starwood would have sent you a card saying thank you for being platinum, then would you call that cheap, a waste of time & postage & want to opt out & claim the price of the card so that you can buy your gum????
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:01 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by saad
you indicated that anyone with plat status would not want this & you indicated it by saying if starwood would have sent you a card saying thank you for being platinum, then would you call that cheap, a waste of time & postage & want to opt out & claim the price of the card so that you can buy your gum????
Mmmmm gum *daydreams*

Oh... right... back on topic. While I'm certainly not complaining about a free gift, I do think that Starwood could have disclosed a bit more information about the tags when offering them so that people who are now disappointed could have chosen to opt out of receiving them (since it's such a waste of money for them to have received them) instead of making it seem like a lot bigger offering than it was and people ending up disappointed from their expectations being set too high. However, that being said, for those who are disappointed and even angry at SPG for wasting your time and their money, remember it is YOU who signed up to receive them.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
for those who are disappointed and even angry at SPG for wasting your time and their money, remember it is YOU who signed up to receive them.
well said....
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I have recieved the tags and in all honesty I must say I probably would not use them. It might have been helpful had Starwood put a good picture on it so I could decide if I wanted them or not before filling in the form.

What I would say would it not have made more sense for them to send them out with the new membership cards as part of a Platinum Membership pack for those renewing!

Can't say I am to bothered either way, but last years free night was certainly more appreciated and no sign of that yet!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:29 pm

Landed in Australia

My Platinum luggage tags arrived earlier this morning here in Australia.
I was pleased to see them and very happy with the SPG gesture.Thank you SPG...they will go on my bags tonight.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by aussiechris

My Platinum luggage tags arrived earlier this morning here in Australia.
I was pleased to see them and very happy with the SPG gesture.Thank you SPG...they will go on my bags tonight.
A free gift is a free gift (yes, I think they are cheap, but they were free). But this picture makes me wonder and I wish I would have checked the box, but I would guess they probably paid more in shipping than the cost of the tags...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
theres been a lot of talk about how little they spent on the tags. out of curiousity, if the tags were more expensive (like 10-15 dollars per tag), but still the same tag-would people be happier? most people did have complaints about the quality, but a lot of complaints were still about how little they spent on the tags.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
SPG, thanks for the gift - it's the thought that counts and for that I am sincerely appreciative. However, in the interest of honest feedback, I have to say I'm disappointed (as are two colleagues who received them as well).

It's a given that affinity tags are always marketing for the company that provides the tags. That's fine, they should be; but there's a fine line between tasteful marketing and flat out advertising, IMO. These tags are just advertising in the guise of a luggage tag and, I'm sorry to say, tacky looking. I would much have preferred something simple, tasteful, and platinum color that recognizes my status and loyalty to SPG. I'm sorry to say, they will not be attached to my luggage. I hope SPG does this again in the future but more tastefully as they have in the past.

That's just my .86 cents on this...
Old Jan 16, 2010, 2:31 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Mine came this week. They are fine... luggage tags break in transit so these are as good as any others. I also feel that unless you are the type of person who needs to show off their status, they indicate platinum status with the platinum colour and a hotel employee would recognise that. I'm happy if only the hotel employees are aware of my status.

They look very similar to my SPG Plat.card, except with a place to slide my business card in.

I'm happy with these - thanks Starwood. I know you have had the toughest year in many, and a small gift is still a lot of money when sent to many recipients.

Last edited by BonViveur; Jan 16, 2010 at 2:34 am Reason: add
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:19 am

Gag

Please - I just ate my breakfast !
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Mine came this week. They are fine... luggage tags break in transit so these are as good as any others. I also feel that unless you are the type of person who needs to show off their status, they indicate platinum status with the platinum colour and a hotel employee would recognise that. I'm happy if only the hotel employees are aware of my status.

They look very similar to my SPG Plat.card, except with a place to slide my business card in.

I'm happy with these - thanks Starwood. I know you have had the toughest year in many, and a small gift is still a lot of money when sent to many recipients.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks SPG - maybe a already printed vesion with my adress would be appreciated as well but I like them as they are. Once again thanks you!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
I received my luggage tags yesterday, too. Any gift is certainly a nice gesture, and I could always use more luggage tags. But I must admit it does make me appreciate last year's free weekend night even more.

Thanks, Starwood!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Luggage Tags

Just received mine in the post today. Its a nice gesture, but there is a decided lack of quality control when they outsourced this job. The workmanship is shoddy (poor quality) but the idea is a good one and gestures are always appreciated. As a comparison, I got squat from Hilton as a Diamond.

Thanks for the gift, but you could have gotten a better quality product for the same price, which judgung by the reactions, seems to have backfired a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.