Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What kind of GM doesn't have an email address

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of GM doesn't have an email address

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Flews

This is by far my biggest issue with SPG.
Would you concede that, if published, the vast bulk of e-mails that a GM would receive would be all issues that could be addressed by the front line staff?

Therein lies the issue, methinks.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As the head of my own organization, my email is available to all staff & customers. It's published on our website and on my business cards. It would never occur to me to question why one might want to contact me. If I am not the appropriate person, I refer it and explain why. Otherwise I appreciate the feedback, and respond accordingly.
I agree completely.

In the corner office, to shield yourself is to isolate yourself. It's one of the worst things you can do as a senior leader.

In my experience, typically, the mindset that justifies it ultimately becomes ones undoing.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Would you concede that, if published, the vast bulk of e-mails that a GM would receive would be all issues that could be addressed by the front line staff?

Therein lies the issue, methinks.
Based on my own experience as CEO of my own organization - one considerably larger than any SPG property, and probably larger than all 4-pts in any one country combined - I would have to say 'no', that is not the case at all.

Cheers,
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Let's say your average property has 300 rooms. Let's say an average month is 30 days.

That's 9000 room nights per month.

And, let's guess that occupancy is averaging 75%.

That's 6750 paid room nights per month. If the average consumed stay is just over 1.2 nights, we're talking nearly 6000 or so distinct customers, per month, checking into and out of an average property. If 3% of these consumers chose to e-mail the GM, that's 180 e-mails a month. What percentage of those do you suspect couldn't have been handled through protocol methods?

In an era where e-mail has quickly become the preferred method of communication, I'll certainly agree that hotel properties would be wise to consider e-mail addresses that are closely monitored and managed, but I disagree that the GM's e-mail should be broadcast for any and all.

The other cornerstone of my position is that I feel sure that the bulk of incoming e-mails would be nothing more than requests for special services, upgrades, and the like. SPG has a system in place to treat SPG members fairly and in ranked order. It's my fervent wish that GM's simply ignore these sorts of requests.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Oh boy.. the good old "mine is bigger than yours" ... so I MUST BE RIGHT
logic works every time doesnt it?

mike
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Let's say your average property has 300 rooms. Let's say an average month is 30 days.

That's 9000 room nights per month.

And, let's guess that occupancy is averaging 75%.

That's 6750 paid room nights per month. If the average consumed stay is just over 1.2 nights, we're talking nearly 6000 or so distinct customers, per month, checking into and out of an average property. If 3% of these consumers chose to e-mail the GM, that's 180 e-mails a month. What percentage of those do you suspect couldn't have been handled through protocol methods?

In an era where e-mail has quickly become the preferred method of communication, I'll certainly agree that hotel properties would be wise to consider e-mail addresses that are closely monitored and managed, but I disagree that the GM's e-mail should be broadcast for any and all.

The other cornerstone of my position is that I feel sure that the bulk of incoming e-mails would be nothing more than requests for special services, upgrades, and the like. SPG has a system in place to treat SPG members fairly and in ranked order. It's my fervent wish that GM's simply ignore these sorts of requests.
Many of those requests coming from guests who want an upgrade to the presidentIal suite because their dog is celebrating his birthday

mike
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
But the problem is that 'cornerstone' is just that -- one corner. Granted, the GM of any business receives emails, letters, fax's, calls that are the purview of another staff member. Probably the vast majority of them. But it's easy enough to forward them on, even in the numbers you are suggesting.

But in the interest of shielding himself from those annoyances, it's the issues related to the other three corners of the business that are also getting screened out. Good leaders don't do that. They effectively delegate to their staff, manage the distractions and hear what they need to hear -- sometimes the most valuable insights coming directly from their customers.

Whether they like or not, and with all its shortcomings, email is now the preferred communication tool of a large percentage of those customers. They ignore it at their own peril.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
But the problem is that 'cornerstone' is just that -- one corner. Granted, the GM of any business receives emails, letters, fax's, calls that are the purview of another staff member. Probably the vast majority of them. But it's easy enough to forward them on, even in the numbers you are suggesting.

But in the interest of shielding himself from those annoyances, it's the issues related to the other three corners of the business that are also getting screened out. Good leaders don't do that. They effectively delegate to their staff, manage the distractions and hear what they need to hear -- sometimes the most valuable insights coming directly from their customers.

Whether they like or not, and with all its shortcomings, email is now the preferred communication tool of a large percentage of those customers. They ignore it at their own peril.
AZ --

as always, your civil tone and approach are appreciated. You make good points, as well. But we still see this a little differently.

I'm absolutely in agreement that it's high time that chain hotels get on board with having closely monitored and managed e-mail addresses for communications. Myriad minor issues/questions could be addressed this way and everyone wins. Indeed, it's quickly become a core consumer expectation. In order for such a tool to work perfectly, however, it can't be handled by a $7.45/hr employee. It should be a capable, empowered person or persons.

SPG would be wise to strongly consider establishing a property-specific e-mail program. On that, I'm in absolute agreement.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Well, one obvious answer would be to take up an issue that the MOD and/or FDM failed to resolve...

Another obviosu answer would be to praise the MOD and/or others for a job well done...
And there it is.

And also, 180 emails in a month is not a lot at all. That's only 6 emails per day. If one of those is an u/g request/something that can be handled by FOM/FDM/someone else, it takes about 30 seconds to forward it to them. Therefore, five emails per day that need responses. Lets say they take 1-2 minutes on four of them to send a basically form email. Then on the last one, it takes them 10 minutes. Thats less than 20 minutes out of their day to keep customers happy. Is it really that busy that they can't take an extra 20 minutes?

I don't know about others, but I know I get about 40 emails per day, and I don't view that as an extremely large amount, especially when it takes 20 seconds to read them, and most don't require responses. I know my dad gets about 60 emails per day, and he still finds the time to look at all of them (even if it can sometimes take him about a week to get to some of them). (and he's a pretty busy guy-i would imagine at least as busy, if not more, than the GM of a 4 pts)
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I don't understand why the OP couldn't pick up the TELEPHONE once you got home, call the property and ask for the GM. May be old-fashioned, but works. Also, as somebody who deals with a lot of email at work; I know that for some it is difficult to know what email is spam and which isn't. Since Starwood has a customer service group, Platinum Concierge, etc. available along with FT, it would seem that there are a number of various outlets to be able to contact the person you need. I still think that the personal touch i.e., a written letter/fax/telephone is a more effective way of getting a hold of somebody than email.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by ldsant
I don't understand why the OP couldn't pick up the TELEPHONE once you got home, call the property and ask for the GM. May be old-fashioned, but works. Also, as somebody who deals with a lot of email at work; I know that for some it is difficult to know what email is spam and which isn't. Since Starwood has a customer service group, Platinum Concierge, etc. available along with FT, it would seem that there are a number of various outlets to be able to contact the person you need. I still think that the personal touch i.e., a written letter/fax/telephone is a more effective way of getting a hold of somebody than email.
sorry, i thought i put this in the op. i tried to call, and when i did, i was gladly transferred to the gm (without any questioning as to reason for the call), but the call was not answered, I left a message, and haven't received a response.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
sorry, i thought i put this in the op. i tried to call, and when i did, i was gladly transferred to the gm (without any questioning as to reason for the call), but the call was not answered, I left a message, and haven't received a response.
Call back?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:51 pm

If all that has been said by the OP is true and accurate, the GM in discussion needs to look for a new job TODAY.

I cannot believe that this topic is even being discussed. A chief manager that is "too busy" to handle customers' emails???

Pardon me if I am wrong but it is THEY that generate the revenue for the hotel to be in business (and pay for its staff salaries), as in the customers are the SOLE SOURCE OF INCOME and the reason to why that hotel has its doors open to this day. Isn't it hospitality management 101 material to consider the customers as the boss of the GM?? To even consider anything else more important than to respond to the customers' needs/responses is folly for any hotel (or even a youth hostel for that matter). Sure you manage expectations (i.e. re. upgrades etc) but you manage by actively engaging them NOT by hiding away from them... to realize that this is not "common sense" to some managers is beyond me.

I have had great experiences in getting in touch with the GMs at the properties I felt a need to contact them. Funnily enough, I have had better responses from those hotels that are helluvalot "busier" (therefore more successful) than those that appear empty. If the GM is too busy to deal with me, I will equally be too busy to ever consider them for my businesses.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:08 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
So I, for one, would appreciate the opportunity to contact GMs and others at the various SPG properties. I find their respective email addys are rarely available. And even when emails are provided, I rarely get a response.

This is by far my biggest issue with SPG.

Cheers,
Does writing to a property via its published email address means that the GM will not read it? Not necessary so.

Sometimes a check-in staff may not understand how serious the situation is that an email address of the General Manager is required. Would it be possible for other duty managers/supervisors to resolve/handle the issue? I believe they can.

In addition, I do not see the relation between a GM not having his email address available and a property that has "no clue on how to run a business in the hospitality industry."

As such, I would encourage all guests to reach out to SPG if there is ever a need to contact the GMs of individual properties.

If a GM has not been responding to any member's email, feel free to drop me a note.

With all these resources available, I do not see the need for the GM's email address to be publicly released without his/her consent. Is this reasonable?

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Getting the GM's eMial may be challenging at some properties, getting one that is actually monitored/read can be the next hurdle. On the rare occasion I've tried communicating with a property there's either no response or a many day delay, and this is using links in automatic eMails about a stay, before or after.

Nothing says they can't set up a generic mailbox (i.e. [email protected] and then assign a designate or such to weed out the simple stuff and deal with it forwarding those messages that needs a GM attention. I'd really rather not have my message sit just because the GM has chosen to take some time off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.