FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   The funniest suite I ever got (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1018819-funniest-suite-i-ever-got.html)

macabus Nov 19, 2009 6:25 pm

The funniest suite I ever got

This happened last month when I checked into the Sheraton Salzburg and inquired about an upgrade.

I asked a lovely Austrian woman at the desk if she might happen to have an extra suite.

She gave me the biggest smile I've ever seen and slipped away into the office.

Brimming with self-satisfaction, she returned a few minutes later with a gift bag filled with chocolate "Mozart Balls."

I was quite confused.

She said "you asked for a 'sweet'."

I started laughing and said "no I wanted a 'suite' - like a bigger room."

She finally caught on and started laughing too. Then the duty manager came out and asked what was going on. We told her and she started laughing as well.

We were all laughing at the Sheraton Salzburg.

Then I trotted off to a very nice upgraded Executive room.

thepointsguy Nov 19, 2009 6:31 pm

LOL gotta love Austrian hospitality. I also quite enjoyed my reindeer chocolates in my suite at the Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg!

carsonheim Nov 19, 2009 6:35 pm

very cute story :D

Braindrain Nov 19, 2009 6:39 pm

I also had great service at the Sheraton Salzburg!

mahasamatman Nov 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Love those Mozart Balls, too!

DownUnderFlyer Nov 19, 2009 8:03 pm

So are sweets now a standard Platinum benefit? ^

NDDomer86 Nov 19, 2009 8:07 pm

I had a similar experience as a Platinum at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge. Inquired if any suites were available (not a perk with Marriott mind you) and the desk agent, after giving me a funny look, said he would see what was available and disappeared into the back :confused:. He came back with a chocolate bar noting that they usually gave those to lower tiered guests to which I chuckled and explained "No a suite as in a larger room". He apologized saying he found it an odd request but didn't know if I were a diabetic or something. Ended up getting the suite ^ (Yes I know this the SPG forum but found it fitting :) )

camsean Nov 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Nice story. you think you'd be pretty use to the word 'suite' working in a hotel.

Tinkerer Nov 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 12850206)
So are sweets now a standard Platinum benefit? ^

Best available at check-in ;)

werldporks Nov 20, 2009 5:25 am

thanks for sharing that

that lifted my mood , thank you;);)

TerryK Nov 20, 2009 7:26 am

:p:D A good one. ^

Bigshaker Nov 20, 2009 7:38 am

Should win Best SPG Suite Upgrade "Post of the Year" award!!

Great story.

Bigshaker

sc flier Nov 20, 2009 12:59 pm

You failed to confide that what you really wanted was for her to give you a Kiss (link)?

Canarsie Nov 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Perhaps she thought you were a macaroon looking for a macaroom instead of being a macabus?

Now I am in the mood for some macaroni...

Benjh Nov 20, 2009 3:07 pm

That was a great post!!!
Maybe the way to score a suite from now on is to ask for a sweet, get everybody laughing, and then the suite...