Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

AVOID STRIKE at Westin St. Francis (SF) 'til SAT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Avoid the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco this week, and IMO in the future. The workers are on strike, they are protesting from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. until Saturday, restaurants are closed, no room service and "minimal" housekeeping (e.g. coffee and towels only). I was supposed to stay there the 19th-21st for my birthday and have dinner at Michael Mina (excellent when open). I got a call from the restaurant today (note: not the hotel staff), letting me know of the strike and closure and therefore canceling my reservation. When I called the front desk, as a Platinum member, the incredibly off putting manager, explained the lack of services, refused to offer any consolations, wouldn't confirm a Platinum room upgrade and said my only recourse was to cancel. I was amazed that a luxury hotel would provide NOTHING when only offering Super 8 service. In addition, he warned me that I would have to push my way through the protesters to enter and would likely be able to hear the noise from the room.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a great, but powerless, SPG Platinum concierge, that could offer me nothing more than a comparable room at another hotel for $75 more per night. So, I cancelled and will stay at a neighboring boutique.

Thanks for the early Birthday present Starwood. Maybe, I should start listening to those calls from Hilton and Marriott reps who keep asking me to come over to their side.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by desselman
Avoid the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco this week, and IMO in the future. The workers are on strike, they are protesting from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. until Saturday, restaurants are closed, no room service and "minimal" housekeeping (e.g. coffee and towels only). I was supposed to stay there the 19th-21st for my birthday and have dinner at Michael Mina (excellent when open). I got a call from the restaurant today (note: not the hotel staff), letting me know of the strike and closure and therefore canceling my reservation. When I called the front desk, as a Platinum member, the incredibly off putting manager, explained the lack of services, refused to offer any consolations, wouldn't confirm a Platinum room upgrade and said my only recourse was to cancel. I was amazed that a luxury hotel would provide NOTHING when only offering Super 8 service. In addition, he warned me that I would have to push my way through the protesters to enter and would likely be able to hear the noise from the room.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a great, but powerless, SPG Platinum concierge, that could offer me nothing more than a comparable room at another hotel for $75 more per night. So, I cancelled and will stay at a neighboring boutique.

Thanks for the early Birthday present Starwood. Maybe, I should start listening to those calls from Hilton and Marriott reps who keep asking me to come over to their side.
Thats why I love right to work states. Holding a business hostage helps no one.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just noticed that the original poster is "Join Date: Nov 2009 Posts: 1 ". Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by hillrider
I just noticed that the original poster is "Join Date: Nov 2009 Posts: 1 ".
Just wondering whether you are welcoming the OP to FT or how this is relevant in any way?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by desselman
The workers are on strike
Aren't they on strike because the hotel wants them to pay more towards their medical and retirement benefits?

Local 2

* The union has proposed a one-year contract that would result in as little as a 1.5 percent increase in payroll costs — or less than $500,000 for the Westin St. Francis.
* Starwood, which manages the Westin St. Francis, earned $180 million in profits during the first nine months of this year and is trying to use the economy as an excuse to slash health care benefits.

Westin St. Francis

* The hotel has proposed a one-year contract that would increase employee contribution from $10 to $15 per month. The contract would also increase co-pay from $5 to $10.
* Health care costs have skyrocketed. The cost to cover an employee’s family is $1,080, as opposed to $300 a decade ago.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Stri...-70434202.html
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Welcome to flyertalk. Try Hilton and Marriott and see if you like it. Let us know what you decide.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Just walked by the protest about an hour ago on my way to dinner. It looked like only 20-30 diehards were still at it around 9pm.

Didn't a neighboring hotel protest in Union Square a month or two ago?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
They're rotating among hotels. The Grand Hyatt and Palace have also been struck.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
I just noticed that the original poster is "Join Date: Nov 2009 Posts: 1 ". Welcome to FT!
That was my first thought but it seemed too cynical to post. Let's all use FlyerTalk as an agent of political protest.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Aren't they on strike because the hotel wants them to pay more towards their medical and retirement benefits?
And this would be a customer attempting to celebrate their birthdays problem because...

Regards
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:27 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tom911

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Stri...-70434202.html
The assertions of the union are laughable. Perhaps they should be welcomed into this thing called "the real world". Even discounting the profit mentioned, revenues are declining significantly. Of course they neglect to mention that HOT reports a margin of around 5%. Not exactly raking it in....

Have to say that I'll be taking my business away from St. Francis when in SF. No way I'll spend a dollar that goes to these goons.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
You do realize that by staying away from the Westin St. Francis you are doing exactly what the "laughable unions" want
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I've stayed at the St. Francis a number of times, and don't really need any of their services, except a few minutes for check-in. I don't need maid service, I don't eat at their restaurants (too expensive), and I don't have any special requests. I had a drink in the lobby once and they gave me a hard time for using a free drink coupon I got at check-in. I asked the concierge when the restaurant on the top floor closed down, and they were not helpful. I don't need help with my bags. I did get backroom help when my 500 welcome points didn't post a couple of times.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by janehoya
Just wondering whether you are welcoming the OP to FT or how this is relevant in any way?
It's relevant.

I personally would not make my first post here a complaint.

People with more posts tend to (not always, of course) be more experienced, accurate, and helpful in their posts.

Many posters who start out with negative posts never return.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Smile

Originally Posted by kevino
It's relevant.

I personally would not make my first post here a complaint.

People with more posts tend to (not always, of course) be more experienced, accurate, and helpful in their posts.

Many posters who start out with negative posts never return.
Thanks for responding. I never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, I think that I've seen some instances of posting that support your last sentence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.