Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W Koh Samui - opened Nov 2010 (Pre-opening discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

All - any word on progress opening the W Ko Samui? SPG showing April, 2010...though having been let down with opening dates at W Seminyak and St Regis Punta Mita I'm not inclined to trust SPG. Anyone with recent experience in Thailand??
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:05 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - any word on progress opening the W Ko Samui? SPG showing April, 2010...though having been let down with opening dates at W Seminyak and St Regis Punta Mita I'm not inclined to trust SPG. Anyone with recent experience in Thailand??
Well I would definitely provide updates once I hear anything on W Koh Samui.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its not just starwood, and rights now the problem is the economy.

Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I was having a chat with someone quite high up in W in the summer and while he could not say for sure he thought both the W Ko Samui and expecially the Bali ones would be delayed. He also mentioned that the W Puerto Rico would be late opening and that was showing November at the time on spg and is now taking bookings for May onwards!

I would have to say the fact they are still not taking bookings I would be very surprised from what he told me if it opens 1st April!

To be fair I got the impression it was very much an issue with local developers and getting finance for these projects, so generally they have all been slowed down and this is certainly not just a Starwood issue.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://i-marketingasia.com/cbre/thai...ng-completion/

thai developer - http://www.amburaya.com/index.html
partner >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nahkeel hotel acquisitions/development >
...W...koh samui, bangkok...
possibly related, re banyan tree koh samui >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
46% - koh samui (delayed due to slow construction progress)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2009 at 9:08 am
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
now opening June 1, 2010

Opening date now (recently) seems to be pushed back to June 1, 2010. Reservations are still not being accepted.

I was wondering if anyone has any further updates, and whether the June date is even realistic? Also, has there been any word on the proposed SPG category here?

Looks like it will be a fantastic property - hopefully it'll be open by my trip in late July.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Opening date now (recently) seems to be pushed back to June 1, 2010. Reservations are still not being accepted.

I was wondering if anyone has any further updates, and whether the June date is even realistic? Also, has there been any word on the proposed SPG category here?

Looks like it will be a fantastic property - hopefully it'll be open by my trip in late July.

-FlyerBeek
We have also been keeping an eye on this one! While nothing definate we did post on their facebook page asking and the reply indicated that yes they were opening 1st June and that why the date had been pushed back to ensure eveyything was ready!

Also I noticed they are starting to hire staff and a "casting" was happening in the next week or so!

Final bit of info is on the tripadvisor page below, which seems to indicate 1st June is a clear aim!

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-...Koh_Samui.html

Lets hope allhttp://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293918-i7560-k3348729-The_New_W_Retreat_Koh_Samui-Koh_Samui.html

The signs are good, lets hope all goes to plan!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:51 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Well, I am here and I will be helping out with the publicity of this upcoming property once everything is finalised.

Till then, just hold your breath....

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the info on this. I am also deciding between the new Westin in Phuket or the W in Koh Samui when they both open. The W Retreat Koh Samui looks beautiful. I'd have to assume it will be a Cat 7, but it could be Cat 6 because it is in Thailand?? Is this hotel going to be all suites/villa's like the other W retreat (maldives)?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by trach500
The W Retreat Koh Samui looks beautiful. I'd have to assume it will be a Cat 7, but it could be Cat 6 because it is in Thailand?? Is this hotel going to be all suites/villa's like the other W retreat (maldives)?
It sounds that way, which will make it an unlikely redemption option when they throw the villas-only surcharge on the already high redemption rates... Let's hope that doesn't happen.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by trach500
Thanks for the info on this. I am also deciding between the new Westin in Phuket or the W in Koh Samui when they both open. The W Retreat Koh Samui looks beautiful. I'd have to assume it will be a Cat 7, but it could be Cat 6 because it is in Thailand?? Is this hotel going to be all suites/villa's like the other W retreat (maldives)?
The way ti reads at the moment is it will be all villa and all pool villa at that! In that way it would be similar to the Maldives Retreat. The new Puerto Rico one is suites and villas I think!

I would imagine redemption rates to be high, it wouldnt surprise me if it is similar to Maldives in the limited participation, but I guess time will tell!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Aren't room rates in Maldives approximately 3 to 4 times higher than in Thailand for similar properties?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:42 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
I spoke with a staff member at another Starwood property in Thailand, today. He is expected to move to the resort next month (March) to begin training/set up as an outlet manager.

If this timetable is right, June sounds good, but there are always a lot of what-ifs, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a visit in August.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Aren't room rates in Maldives approximately 3 to 4 times higher than in Thailand for similar properties?

Yes, W Maldives ranges from approx 1250 USD to 3500 USD that I have seen while browsing for the website. SPG also quoted 81K SPG points per night at the hotel. I'm also expecting the hotel to have "limited participation" as well.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:22 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
It'd be a joke if this hotel would be anything more than a category 5 hotel. It's Thailand and not Maldives or Tahiti, guys. If they want to force people to book this as a suite award then I'd say this hotel should be cat 4 and I'd not pay more than 20k for the suite award in a villa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.