Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: * A
Arrow Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport IAD [Master Thread]

I just completed my stay at this Sheraton. It looked like it was designed for a FourPoints and then switched to a Sheraton. Overall an okay place. They need some serious honesty and ethics training at the front desk. The agents kept making up rules for club lounge access. I'll post more details later.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:43 am
Original Poster

I had my stay in May at this property. FD staff are not trained well here. They took more than 20 minutes to try to check-me in but failed, I went out and returned after dinner to pick up my keys (as I had stuff planned and did not NEED the room right away). The lounge is closed on weekends and they did not want to give me coupons for breakfast. Because of the inconvenience they issued me an extra appetizer coupon to use for breakfast. The did upgrade me to a corner club room (larger than regular room and the FD mentioned they don't have suites). It's a new property and the most interesting part was when I called the FD to schedule a wake up call the lady answered "Homewood Suites Herndon!" and when I tried to convince her that I am calling from the Sheraton she hung up on me. The restaurant for breakfast had great service at the property. I think I will give this property another shot since it is very convenient for work and the airport. YMMV as always!
Old May 29, 2009, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by noirpepper
and the most interesting part was when I called the FD to schedule a wake up call the lady answered "Homewood Suites Herndon!" and when I tried to convince her that I am calling from the Sheraton she hung up on me.
That is hillarious.
Old May 29, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Nothing much anymore.
I'm staying here now. I had no problems during our quick check-in. Our room is fairly standard (it still smells new), although there is no tub. Internet is free in the lobby and in the room. So far, I definitely prefer this hotel to the new Aloft a few miles away.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT Hyatt Diamond AS MVP75K Delta 1MM
I don;t know if Quite agree with the previous poster. This is a solid Sheraton hotel and I was given a free breakfast since the lounge is closed on weekends. But I think I prefer the Aloft in Ashburn.

Sheraton seems to be getting better and better but, the rooms and decorations here are just too dark. Maybe its just my personal preference, but I think sheraton needs another makeover of their corporate furnishings standard. Even though this current one isn't that old.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:22 am
Suspended

I stayed here last weekend and I must disagree with Thomas concerning the room, etc. I like the modern look and do not find it too dark. Flat panel TV embedded in the wall opposite the Sweet Sleeper Bed.

I, also, had trouble with the front desk, as well, on a separate matter that the management assures me is being looked into by them. We will see.

By the way, I e-mailed them the link to this thread so if you have any future problems, they cannot truthfully state that they are unaware of the issues that have been posted herein.

I can recommend Rodrigo, who as a front desk agent is an exemplary employee. You should have no problems with him when he is on duty.

With respect to the lounge being closed on weekends, that is correct, but I should add that the Club floor has keyed access and I noted while I was there, that there was a small refigerator in the lounge that was stocked with water and availalbe for taking, as were Tazo teas -- don't know if coffee or hot water was available, however.

Plat receives cont'l breakfast coupons during the weekend -- don't know what that confers in the breakfast room, however and also one appetizer coupon -- again, don't know what that confers as we arrived much too late to use same.

Did not see the gym but very much liked the free Internet provided by the Link@ Sheraton in the lobby.

In addition, there were a couple of Washington Post Sunday editions at the tables there -- but not for long.

The price point of the property is excellent as it has a weekend non-refundable rate of $63.00. It is right next door to the Hyatt Summerfield Suites (or was it a Hyatt Place?), which is managed by the same hotel company.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; May 30, 2009 at 8:28 am
Old May 30, 2009, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I just drove by this Friday afternoon. I almost missed it as the sign is tiny. this is right next the the IAD hyatt.

There isn't much near there at least yet.

Its close to IAD though. One of the closer properties to the airport.
Actually, it is a new Hyatt Summerfield Suites, or a Hyatt Place.

I believe the Hyatt Dulles is across the Dulles Toll Road.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:34 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
from airport to hotel

Hello everyone.

I am having a over-night stay between my transit points at Washington Dulles Airport during early October (Canada's Thanksgiving) before flying to Asia. It would be my first time being in US's capital and only for 16 hours.

The hotel description says there is a free bus shuttle that goes to the property. Is it similar to those seen in LAX Airport?

Though only 16 hours in Washington DC, I was wondering if there are any trains or underground Metro would take me from Airport (or from this hotel) to Washington City center? It is a long time goal of mine to see the US's White House, Congress and Supreme Court.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

If you have other questions, you can post in the Travel & Dining forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...baltimore-608/). I had a decent stay in this hotel earlier this year and am familiar with the local area.

Originally Posted by yeunganson
Though only 16 hours in Washington DC, I was wondering if there are any trains or underground Metro would take me from Airport (or from this hotel) to Washington City center? It is a long time goal of mine to see the US's White House, Congress and Supreme Court.

Any suggestions?
There is a Metro Express bus (5A) that goes from the airport to downtown. You can metro/cab/walk around town from there. You may need advance reservations for US Capitol & White house but I think you can check out US Supreme Ct when you come in.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:27 am
Suspended

I have had 3 stays at this property and they all keep getting better. Plat recogntion is excellent -- no suites in hotel but always upgraded for lounge access. If lounge is closed, given drink, appetizer and breakfast coupons -- even on weekends. Essentially order anything on breakfast menu -- all comped -- but please do tip -- Anthony my server is an exceedingly polite and nice youg man. They all do try hard here.

Did have evening lounge offerings -- meatballs (I liked but everyone has different idea what should go into them -- pork and beef vis only beef, breadcumb, etc., so some may not like them) and small frozen curry pastyr puffs. Assorted cheeses, brie, hot pepper jack, fruit salad and soft drinks and water in small refrigerator in lounge. Water stocked on weekend even when lounge is closed.

New cookie cutter immaculately cleaned rooms with nice modern glass bathrooms and 2 door fully closing glass shower stalls.

Flat panel TVs with HD TV reception!! ^^

Nothing not to like at this property.

Also view a couple of the web direction engines -- hotel is frequently listed incorrectly.

It is next to the new Hyatt Place -- which also is listed incorrectly in a number of place.

Across the street from the FS Hyatt Dulles on Sunrise Valley Road -- which changes names and does loop around the hotel.

By the way, the new soon to open Westin IAD is off of SVR, as well, on the same side as the Hyatt Dulles, in a new development, so a busy neighborhood but great for matress runs!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:13 pm

After four stays here, I can't believe I've never posted a review.

This rather new hotel is a rock solid option for it's class. Most other reviewers have described the rooms (no suites): decent size shower w/ double doors, good sized rooms, etc. I have never had noise problems, cleanliness issues, early housekeeping knocks, staff problems or anything here. The only remotely negative I could think of from four stays is that the hotel is typically dead quite on weekends. That's the biggest "negative".
Seriously, great (albeit occasionally bored) staff and a great place to stay for IAD. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again without hesitation...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Stayed here last week, actually booked the room for Thursday night, but arrived at 7:00AM on Friday after the overnight flight from Sao Paulo.

The FD was expecting me so I was quickly on my way to my very nice room to shower, change and do my conference call. Kudos for a very speedy check-in, even though it was the morning rush with lots of check outs.

Was given a coupon for free breakfast, which was welcomed, and was told that the wired Internet access is free (not sure if it's one of my company's negotiated benefits since it's a preferred property or a SPG Plat benefit).

A solid hotel, very nice bathroom with shower and no tub (I much prefer that setup) and the powerful hot shower felt so good after the long flight.

Breakfast of eggs and stuff was excellent, and the complimentary shuttle to the airport is a 5 to 7 minutes ride.

Will keep this place in mind whenever I need a place to stay near IAD.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I stay here whenever I have an early morning flight out of IAD. I like the free internet and breakfast, appetizer, and drink coupons they provide to platinum members.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AICML
I stay here whenever I have an early morning flight out of IAD. I like the free internet and breakfast, appetizer, and drink coupons they provide to platinum members.
I see! So the free Internet and the free breakfast is a Platinum benefit at this hotel? Good to know ^
Old May 3, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I stayed there on a mattress run Saturday night. I'm a local, and it was the cheapest option in a one-state radius. And ten minutes from my apartment.

The front desk gave me a funny look when I wanted to exercise my 4pm late check-out benefit. The pool closes at 3pm on Saturdays, and we had trouble convincing the FD that the lifeguard was still on duty. Apparently there was a "miscommunication" about his hours. (They'll let you use the Hyatt Place hotel next door.)

The hotel is really, really plain. I'm a bit disappointed that they couldn't have done a bit better job on the rooms. The look is too drab. The alarm clock doesn't have a night-lit LCD display. The room size is fine as is the bathroom. However, the toilet paper roll is too close to the can.

Next up on the run is the Aloft-IAD. I want to convince the SO to check out the Westin -- I'd like to try the different properties in the area just for the heck of it.

Oh, one nit pick -- there are NO ice machines on the SPG floor. It's a 6-story hotel with ice machines on the 2nd and 4th floor. They do have laundry on the fifth floor. It's kind of annoying that they don't give their "preferred" guests convenient access to the ice machine.

Bottom line: There's nothing wrong with the hotel, but there's nothing great about it either. I'd stay there for an early morning flight or if I had business in the area.

Last edited by DHAST; May 3, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.