FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Mexico City: W vs St Regis (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1014718-mexico-city-w-vs-st-regis.html)

sombrachinesca Nov 7, 2009 4:36 am

Mexico City: W vs St Regis

Hello everyone,

I am new to SPG and was comped platinum based on top-tier status with Hyatt. I will be in Mexico City for two nights in early January. In the past, I have always stayed at the IC Presidente, but I'm attempting to consolidate my business in 2010 to SPG and Hyatt. Since there is (still) no Hyatt in Mexico City, SPG is it...

Based on online pricing this morning, the W can be had for $165 per night and the St. Regis for $179.

I would appreciate up-to-date feedback concerning both properties (my search returned only comments from several months ago), the treatment of platinum customers, and any general suggestions.

Also, for anyone who has stayed at the IC, it is significantly cheaper for my dates... are either of these hotels that much better to justify $50 per night extra?

Thanks in advance.
-- Bill

abk Nov 7, 2009 10:20 am

if you have stayed at the presidente then you know the neighborhood that the w is in and from a location standpoint i think it is better than the st regis. especially if you want to enjoy the restaurants in polanco.

i have stayed at the w many times and only visited the st regis once since it opened. if you like w's then i would definitely stay a this w because it is a nice property. if you like a lively bar this is also your place.

the st regis is very formal and i think you will find it expensive. my example is the hotel taxi to the airport. last month i was asking our driver about the st regis and he said the 350 peso fare to the airport from the w was twice that from the st regis even though it is closer. i can only imagine what they are charging for drinks.

from an upgrade standpoint you will get a superior room which is quite nice and if you are lucky a corner suite which is really nice. as the hotel is fairly new all the rooms are good.

Richard_SVO_SPG_Platinum Nov 7, 2009 10:41 pm

I have stayed at most all properties in Mexico City this summer. Sheraton Centro Historica, Sheraton Marie-Isabel, St Regis and last weekend the W. By far the nicest property is the St Regis. The W although hipper seems a bit worn, the beds are not your typical W hotel bed...more like a futon on a platform. The room I stayed in was painted red (most walls and ceiling) and quite dark. The W didn't go out of it's way to recognize me as a platinum guest (I had to request a room upgrade from the standard).

As a Platinum guest, the St Regis will greet you with your choice of a glass of clique vieux champagne or I believe a bottle of Voss water. Arriving to the room I also received a complimentary bottle of white wine (Chardonnay), chocolates and fruit. The butler service provides complimentary pressing for two garments and a shoe shine. The rooms are immaculate, bedding heavenly...the bathroom amazing with an integrated LCD tv in the mirror. Both are CAT 5 but I would say that the St Regis deserves a CAT 6 rating. The room is state of the art tech with high def LCD tv, LCD touchscreen phone including integrated control of the rooms lighting. In-room dining was quite a gourmet treat. Also, the gym and infinity edge indoor pool are very nice with an amazing view.

Yes, car service from hotels and the St Regis is generally expensive compared to a local taxi. However, given how expensive it is in the USA...a 400-600 peso ride to the airport is less than $50/USD. If it's more than one person with luggage take a town car provided through the hotel. A gold & red taxi (typically an older model Nissan or Chevy) costs about 100 pesos to the airport (don't ever take the green & white VW ones). Authorized taxi's from the airport to Reforma/Polanco are about 187 pesos.

sombrachinesca Nov 8, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. :)
I think I'll go with the St. Regis for this visit.
-- Bill

RAPC Nov 8, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks to the OP for asking the question and for the feedback. I've had a similar dilemma for a stay over the New Year period. Rates at both properties including breakfast, but $40 per night more at the St Regis. I think we'll go for the St Regis as well.

sombrachinesca Nov 8, 2009 2:35 pm

I intend to take the $179/night adv purch rate (Jan 1-2-3). Although that doesn't include breakfast, there should be plenty of local eateries with something passable and cheap. It has been a while since I stayed near Zona Rosa, but I recall both a VIPS and a Sanborns nearby, as well as several cafes.

abk Nov 8, 2009 7:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C145 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
I intend to take the $179/night adv purch rate (Jan 1-2-3). Although that doesn't include breakfast, there should be plenty of local eateries with something passable and cheap. It has been a while since I stayed near Zona Rosa, but I recall both a VIPS and a Sanborns nearby, as well as several cafes.

there is a street one block behind the st Regis that has a number of good places to eat for any meal . turn left out of the hotel , turn left again, walk to the corner a nd turn right and there are about 4 or 5 blocks of nice place.

Richard_SVO_SPG_Platinum Nov 9, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca (Post 12788648)
Thanks for the feedback. :)
I think I'll go with the St. Regis for this visit.
-- Bill

A decision I'm sure you will be happy with. By the way, couple of comments to add from my previous post. I believe the garment pressing is 2 complimentary a day (ask the butler). Also, the bath products are amazing....made by Remède (the first stay there they provided the 6.8oz versions which retail for $38 ea). If I recall correctly, complimentary coffee and basket of baked goods will be offered with a scheduled "wakeup call". The gym also has complimentary juices (orange, carrot, beet), coffee and tea...which is a nice way to start the morning. Few more comments about the rooms....they are bright, floor to ceiling windows, rooms well lighted with halogen recessed lights, the couch is super comfortable (L shaped), the carpeting was a light gold color, plush.

geilux Mar 6, 2010 4:44 am

Which one of these 2 properties is better for a WE stay with our 6Y old daughter (Swimming pool, kid's friendliness, Upgrades (am PLAT), location, etc) ?

Thanks

geilux Jul 6, 2010 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by geilux (Post 13522330)
Which one of these 2 properties is better for a WE stay with our 6Y old daughter (Swimming pool, kid's friendliness, Upgrades (am PLAT), location, etc) ?

Thanks

el_jefe Jul 6, 2010 3:11 pm

I stayed at the W for New Years (early January) last year. Not SUPER impressed, but I liked the neighborhood. The hotel was pretty dead and I was told that most of the locals go out of town for new years or spend it with their families. Not as big of a party as it is in the US. I think I'll try the St. Regis next time.

jammanxc Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

I just got back from the W Mexico City hotel and as a Platinum guest, I received:

-500 Starpoints welcome amenity
-free internet
-upgraded from a standard room to a Fantastic Suite
-4pm late checkout granted

I did an extensive review of the W Mexico City on my blog if you wish to see pictures and videos as well:

http://pointssummary.com/2013/01/29/...-hotel-review/