Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I've never been charged extra for towels at GH Kauai, and I was even there a couple times in 2005, the year you cite you were charged for towels. No idea where you'd get that idea..........
I could very well be mistaken - it has been a few years. So, I'll defer to you if you are a more regular customer. I have only been there once.

Conroy
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I know some places I've stayed (not the GH specifically), but some hotels do take your room number, and if you don't return the number of towels you took, there is some sort of "penalty" - maybe that's what you remember.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I've been to Kauaii about 15 times, about 12 times to the Princeville (prior to St. Regis), once to GH.

I think it's nuts to try and stay in two hotels on a four night trip. If the weather is nice, the north shore is way, way better than the south shore. Weather should still be good in October on the north. Beaches, and beauty are mindblowing in the north.

Some reasons for the south: The South shore has more restaurants. Also, many of the Na Pali cruises leave from Port Allen (south shore). The real reason to go to that side of the island (other than more reliable weather) is Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park (and the Kalalau overlook). Allerton estate is a great garden.

I usually am there for two weeks at a time and 75% of the trips, I never go to the south side.

Besides the sites you mentioned, the great spots on the north shore include;

Queen's Bath (may be too rough to swim in during late October, as it's on an unprotected point).
Lumahai'i Beach (the east end is protected, watch out for big waves in the middle and west ends)
Kalihiwai beach (protected, with shade trees)
Tunnels beach (great snorkeling, better than Ke'e unless you go outside the reef in Ke'e)
Hanalei River via rental canoe

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 22, 2010 at 5:31 pm
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Inevitably you will want to drive down to the other end of the island. Splitting time at both of these hotels allows you to do this without having to waste an hour or more driving back.
The amount of time you save by not having the extra Lihue to Princeville leg (40 minutes) on a trip to Waimea Canyong is used up by having to go from the main road down to Poipu, and back, and checking in. Not to mention repacking.

If you were staying a week, it might be a different story, because you might want a couple of days to hike in the canyon.

The other situation it might make sense is if you wanted to dive (assuming your flight on the last day was 24 hours or more after your dive) (Diving is better from Poipu; snorkeling is better in the north).
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Skip Oahu! ]
By far, the best advice given so far. Oahu is a 6, Kauai is a 10.

Unless Pearl Harbor or watching competition surfing is your wife's thing, then just go straight to Kauai. There are non-stops from LAX and SFO.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
By far, the best advice given so far. Oahu is a 6, Kauai is a 10.

Unless Pearl Harbor or watching competition surfing is your wife's thing, then just go straight to Kauai. There are non-stops from LAX and SFO.
I would second this, but the OP already booked inter-island flights so this isn't an option. And maybe it's just that moving hotels is no big deal to me (I've been trained well by the hotel chains to switch hotels nightly anyways in order to optimize my stay credits), but I don't see how packing & checking into a new hotel will be any more of a hassle than spending an hour to have to drive back to a hotel on the other side of the island when you don't have to. Seems both options will take roughly the same amount of time, yet OP will get to experience two fantastic hotels that each offer different strengths. Especially since the OP was wanting a hotel with fantastic grounds/pools/lagoons, which fits the Hyatt bill to a T. But to each their own I guess. Some people hate to move hotels, other people don't mind it at all. I personal get antsy if I'm stuck in the same hotel for more than 3 nights.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:24 am

Difference in philosophy I guess.

I wouldn't go to the south side if I was there for four days.
I wouldn't fly for 5-8 hours just to experience a hotel.
While I am on the go in many of my destinations, I go to Kauai to "be here now".
If you are in one of the best places in the world to relax and enjoy, why not really just relax and enjoy?

My heaven is being stuck on the North Shore of Kauai for a week or ten days and not going south of Kiluea.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Take a sailing cruise when on Kauai

(This is a bit off topic, but I think OP and anyone else considering a trip to Kauai will appreciate. )

Opus- Based on the itineraries you show, you and your wife want to do some activities other than laying around beaches and pools. So I highly suggest you take one of the boat excursions that explore the Na Pali coast, from the ocean.

Several boats leave Port Allen (southwest shore) in the morning, cruise up the west side, explore the caves and cliffs of the Na Pali coast, take you snorkeling (they provide all the gear), give you food and drinks (even some alcohol, if desired), and most important of all, give you an experience that you will remember forever. This will be one of the highlights of your honeymoon. My (now wife) and I won one ticket on Capt. Andy's boat at a time-share preview breakfast on our first trip to Hawaii 4 years ago, and bought the other. We saw dozens (maybe even hundreds) of small dolphins, some of which played around our boat as we cruised up the west coast, then later really enjoyed the snokeling and especially standing on the side of the boat with the ocean wind in our faces, transfixed by the 5000 foot cliffs and waterfalls as we sailed by. We've been to Maui three times since then, and though my wife loves it on Maui, she still talks about that first boat ride as her favorite day trip ever, though we've taken snorkeling and evening cruises each time on Maui, and even saw some whales just last November.

Check out: http://www.napali.com/

I vote with those who suggest staying in only one hotel, if on the island for only four days. And stay at the St. R. It's a much nicer resort, especially for a honeymoon. It will be a bit of a shlep from St. R to Port Allen, but the boats get back in early afternoon, which will give you plenty of time to see the Kauai Coffee Company and the Red Dirt Shirt factory, which are both only a few minutes from the boat launch. And, you will be so exhilarated from the cruise that you won't mind the ride back to St. R.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by WestLA-FF
(This is a bit off topic, but I think OP and anyone else considering a trip to Kauai will appreciate. )

Several boats leave Port Allen (southwest shore) in the morning, cruise up the west side, explore the caves and cliffs of the Na Pali coast, take you snorkeling (they provide all the gear), give you food and drinks (even some alcohol, if desired), and most important of all, give you an experience that you will remember forever.
If staying in Princeville, I'd actually recommend doing Na Pali from the North Shore. It saves you several hours of driving and the beautiful scenery starts immediately, whereas a trip out of Port Allen includes several miles of less inspiring coast line. There are limited offerings from the North Shore, but a few operators are still up there. I don't remember who we used, but a google search should turn up some options.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Wow, I did not expect my question to generate so many answers and ideas. I'll print this show it to my fiance and see what she thinks.

I really like the sailing cruise idea towards the Na Pali. I checked out some of the tour operators' website and they got great pictures. I'll try to find one that is located in the north shore already, that way, I'll spend less time traveling (sailing). Thanks WestLA-FF.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I would second this, but the OP already booked inter-island flights so this isn't an option. .... Especially since the OP was wanting a hotel with fantastic grounds/pools/lagoons, which fits the Hyatt bill to a T. But to each their own I guess. Some people hate to move hotels, other people don't mind it at all. I personal get antsy if I'm stuck in the same hotel for more than 3 nights.
Right on. Flight to Oahu already booked. I wish we had booked one or two additional days for honeymoon. It's a long long flight from the east coast. I know fiance likes great pools/lagoons.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
C&P?

Anyone have any thoughts on Cash & Points loading for this property?

I'm looking for May 18-23rd, and I notice just about every other Hawaii property has availability on those dates, but there's no C&P listed for the St. R after the end of March.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:00 pm
erf

new stay review, 1/29-2/1

just returned from a 3 night stay here in a mountain/garden view std room, thought I would provide some updates and commentary, since this thread was instrumental in my choice of this accommodation.

parking: $15/day, whether you valet or not. there are non-valet spaces towards the back of the lot.

coffee/tea: was in room on arrival, so I guess you no longer need to request it. generous selection of 6 or 8 coffees (caf and decaf) plus lots of nice black and herbal teas. no coffee mugs at all, just travel paper cups, although we had flutes, water and wine glasses @ our disposal. I guess real mugs are for room service only.

fridge: no extra fridge, just the mini bar, $50 charge to unload it for your use.

view:spectacular, about 30% ocean. would not bother paying for an upgrade. we were in 719, mixed pool/ocean/cliff view. window box was overgrown with weeds, only part of the property not spectacularly maintained.

pool/ocean: all the ocean view chairs were marked off for westin use (or appeared to be). I didn't press as I preferred the pool seats. beach raked nightly. pool was very nicely tiled but not as spectacular as i expected.

makena terrace: had dinner here on sunday, as many other options were closed. surprisingly good, almost better than the kauai grill, though there was no break on prices. had the seafood hotpot (buttery and generous servings) plus the catch of the day, kona coffee soaked fish with asian veggies. tasty and the only non-overcooked fish we had on the island.

kauai grill: ate here saturday, had the tasting menu. no beers on tap but they have taps @ the pool (?). pleasant way to spend the evening, but in no way remarkable. sauces and service both overbearing--while my hubby and I studied the intricate steak knife handle, the waiter popped up out of nowhere to tell me it was very sharp. thanks, jacka**, but i think i can handle it. presentation was well-executed, but the temp of almost every dish was tending towards lukewarm--they clearly had way to many of these prepped and sitting around for a rush that never came. lamb seemed to be an odd choice after the fish. the only thing that stood out was the desert, a molten chocolate cake. also, we were not given a post-dinner drink menu--i wanted a press pot of kona, but we weren't given the option, just served regular coffee and it slipped my mind. odd for such an acclaimed restaurant. wouldn't recommend against it though, if you wish to eat in the hotel, because nothing we had on this side was terribly spectacular.

definitely itching to come back--we scored a great package rate on expedia, also costco had some good 5 day deals. staying in both N and S parts of the island was essential, as the traffic was AWFUL. completely romantic honeymoon-type destination, much more romantic feel than the GH.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Starwood, Hawaiian Air
Originally Posted by erf
just returned from a 3 night stay here in a mountain/garden view std room, thought I would provide some updates and commentary, since this thread was instrumental in my choice of this accommodation.

parking: $15/day, whether you valet or not. there are non-valet spaces towards the back of the lot.

coffee/tea: was in room on arrival, so I guess you no longer need to request it. generous selection of 6 or 8 coffees (caf and decaf) plus lots of nice black and herbal teas. no coffee mugs at all, just travel paper cups, although we had flutes, water and wine glasses @ our disposal. I guess real mugs are for room service only.

fridge: no extra fridge, just the mini bar, $50 charge to unload it for your use.

view:spectacular, about 30% ocean. would not bother paying for an upgrade. we were in 719, mixed pool/ocean/cliff view. window box was overgrown with weeds, only part of the property not spectacularly maintained.

pool/ocean: all the ocean view chairs were marked off for westin use (or appeared to be). I didn't press as I preferred the pool seats. beach raked nightly. pool was very nicely tiled but not as spectacular as i expected.

makena terrace: had dinner here on sunday, as many other options were closed. surprisingly good, almost better than the kauai grill, though there was no break on prices. had the seafood hotpot (buttery and generous servings) plus the catch of the day, kona coffee soaked fish with asian veggies. tasty and the only non-overcooked fish we had on the island.

kauai grill: ate here saturday, had the tasting menu. no beers on tap but they have taps @ the pool (?). pleasant way to spend the evening, but in no way remarkable. sauces and service both overbearing--while my hubby and I studied the intricate steak knife handle, the waiter popped up out of nowhere to tell me it was very sharp. thanks, jacka**, but i think i can handle it. presentation was well-executed, but the temp of almost every dish was tending towards lukewarm--they clearly had way to many of these prepped and sitting around for a rush that never came. lamb seemed to be an odd choice after the fish. the only thing that stood out was the desert, a molten chocolate cake. also, we were not given a post-dinner drink menu--i wanted a press pot of kona, but we weren't given the option, just served regular coffee and it slipped my mind. odd for such an acclaimed restaurant. wouldn't recommend against it though, if you wish to eat in the hotel, because nothing we had on this side was terribly spectacular.

definitely itching to come back--we scored a great package rate on expedia, also costco had some good 5 day deals. staying in both N and S parts of the island was essential, as the traffic was AWFUL. completely romantic honeymoon-type destination, much more romantic feel than the GH.
Nice. My wife and I were in Kauai in August for our honeymoon. Unfortunately the ST Regis wasn't done so we didn't get a chance to take it in.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by psalflyer
...The staff could not be nicer or more helpfull. I echo all of kingsubbu's comments about the property and staff...
+1

I had a fantastic stay here a few weeks ago. This was my first stay in Princeville (I usually stay on the south shore but this trip split between north & south) and I'm definitely looking forward to a return visit.

As a PLT, I was upgraded to Prince Jr. suite -- photos and descriptions already posted by others are accurate. Coffeemakers have been added to the rooms (or at least to the Prince Jr. suites) but the butler, while walking me through the room's features, also reminded me they bring coffee or tea in the morning at one's request.

Several days before my stay I received an email and phone call from the property's "Guest Historian" asking if there was anything I'd like them to help me with in advance of my stay; I asked them to secure dinner reservations for the Kauai Grill (note, the concierge service uses Open Table for reservations at Kauai Grill) and received a message confirming the reservation about 15 minutes later. Dinner at Kauai Grill was very good as was breakfast at the Makana Terrace. A few people have commented on different valet parking charges - I was charged at $15.62.

A note to those planning to stay in Princeville but spending time on the south shore...while it isn't bad during the weekend, when I was there construction on the Wailua Bridge was causing BAD traffic delays during the week.

Last edited by cawhite; Feb 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.