Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Summary on spg.com is in Japanese?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Account Summary on spg.com is in Japanese?!

For some odd reason, my account summary shows in Japanese (I think...). My browser language settings are German/English. I have no idea how this happened. Any advice? Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by attorney28
For some odd reason, my account summary shows in Japanese (I think...). My browser language settings are German/English. I have no idea how this happened. Any advice? Thanks!

This is part of *wood's new Multi-Culture Diversity Initiative. Didn't you receive an email announcing it?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
What does it say? Paste some text here and I will try to decipher it for you.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
* 本年还需 25 次住宿和 32 晚住宿
* 自 2003 加入计划以来,还需 106 次住宿和 147 晚住宿

感谢您加入喜达屋优先顾客(SPG)计划!

I know what it means, but I have no clue how it switched to Japanese...

Every other part of the website shows in the proper language.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:49 pm

Firstly that is Chinese, secondly it just says that you have 25 stays and 32 night and a lifetime of 106 stays and 147 nights.

Could be another system glitch with SPG.com. Might want to call the plat line to iron it out if it bothers you.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Ooops how embarrassing, I should be able to distinguish Chinese and Japanese...my only excuse is that it's past 2 AM here . Thanks kitsura.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I should be able to distinguish Chinese and Japanese.
They do use the same alphabet, so it's not easy.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:12 pm

Ooops how embarrassing, I should be able to distinguish Chinese and Japanese...my only excuse is that it's past 2 AM here . Thanks kitsura.
It not that big a deal if you're not able to tell them apart. But it would be embarrassing if you can't tell Korean apart from the other 2.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I can read Hangul...even though I usually don't know what it means.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Happened to me a long time ago.

Somehow, my language preferences at SPG (and it was only at SPG.com) switch to Japanese. I had set up my Languages toolbar and browsers to accept/write Japanese but not as the preference.

Strange, and it stayed until I completed my semi-annual Windows re-install.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They do use the same alphabet, so it's not easy.
Well, one of the 3 Japanese letter systems is very similar to Chinese. But the other 2 are not so usually it is fairly easy to distinguish the two if you have sufficient text.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
one of the 3 Japanese letter systems is very similar to Chinese.
Not similar - identical.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
the other 2 are not so usually it is fairly easy to distinguish the two if you have sufficient text.
But if all the text in in Kanji (as was the case for the OP), there's no way to tell.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not similar - identical.

But if all the text in in Kanji (as was the case for the OP), there's no way to tell.
It's not identical - not sure where you are getting your false information. No way that Japanese kanji will continue as it did above with 12 straight kanji as well.

And if you ever see a message with no hiragana or katakana as above, it's an easy guess that it's not Japanese...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:02 pm

Let me put a nail on this coffin.

Chinese uses 2 sets of kanji or han4 zi4 (汉字) the simplified form as well as the traditional form. Japanese actually borrows from the traditional form with none of the kanji from the simplified form.

So since the above message is written in simplified form there is no way it can be Japanese. And you really need to differentiate between the simplified and traditional form to tell if the language is Chinese or something else (Chinese traditional or some other dialect or even Japanese).

So a simple rule of thumb is if you don't see a single hiragana or katakana in such a long sentance it's likely not Japanese.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
I thought the translation is wrong too.

You need 25 stays and 32 nights this year.......

Since joining in 2003, you need 106 stays and 147 nights.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.