Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Old Oct 28, 09, 3:16 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
...A follow-on question for Lurker (who has seen his patience tested);
My patience factor is doing well these days. Some others around here seem to have a bit of indigestion, however.

What's the biggest hotel chain (N.A. or world) where all properties are owned, and how many hotels does it have?
I don't know...can use Google to find out?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 28, 09, 3:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
I think Thyetus alluded to the fact that there may be some differing points of view earlier in this thread. Not all of them coming from the hotel. Not that I think the OP is purposely misrepresenting anything necessarily, but I think some liberties are being taken with regard to the opinions of some Starwood employees. Sometimes that can simply be attributed to the point of view you wish it to be.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Gee, what a surprise... The OP has posted his side of the story which doesn't match up what the Starwood folks on the forum has on file.

The problems with threads like these, is that you will only hear one side of the story with a hinting reply from William.

So then I will just refer to my own first hand experience and I don't recognize even close to what the OP experienced at this property. I have stayed at the property 4 times the last 2 months, haven't seen any molds in any of the suites or rooms I've had, service has been excellent.

And I'm not going to call anyone a liar, but the cigar story sounds incredible to me..
Old Oct 28, 09, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Tommy777,

They don't disagree with the bottom line. They can't agree or disagree with the hotel's counter allegation of smoking because they weren't there. I beleive the smoking in the room charge is a "smokescreen" to overcome how the manager did in fact close my complaint after falsely stating that he spoke to me on the day after I checked out of the hotel (in my room still somehow according to him). From what I understand they have admitted so much. The allegation of smoking in the room came after I lodged my corporate complaint against them. The timeline can't be changed.

If you keep staying at the hotel I'd place odds that you're going to have a similarly bad experience in the near future. Please look at the wall the next time you shower. However don't dare lodge a complaint or they may retaliate as they did to me.
Old Oct 28, 09, 3:40 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
...The problems with threads like these, is that you will only hear one side of the story with a hinting reply from William...
Just to clarify...my comments were in regard to the OP's perception of what was said to him by someone in customer service. He is entitled to that (mis)perception, even if it was not was really the meaning intended to be conveyed. We have all had communications over the phone where misunderstandings occur, so one's perception is what is reality to them, even if the message delivered was not fully understood. This is why I said that I did not feel that the customer service person's message was being represented correctly and the OP has since augmented his comments to be more in line with how I understand his conversations went.

On the other hand, my comments were not an indictment of the OP's truthfulness or the hotel's position on this matter either. The OP is the only person in the world who absolutely knows if he smoked or not. The hotel obviously highly suspects it, feels they can stand by their people, and feels they are due the remedy they have implemented. So, this is a classic "he said/she said" scenario that none of us can really affirm one way or another. We can certainly choose sides if we wish to based upon the circumstances presented by the OP, but then - like you said - we are only hearing one side of the story.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 28, 09, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have been in rooms that smelled of smoke. The first thing I did, when observing this is to call the front desk and report it. There should definitely be some sort of confirmation by a management employee if they're going to charge you for smoking.

I've seen some people who smoke in the bathroom, and think that the smell goes out the vent fan. If you're a smoker you might not notice the smell in the rest of the room, but for anyone else, you'd know it in a second.

I also take pictures of any major defects in rooms. I stayed at the IC in NYC this weekend, and was a bit annoyed at peeling paint, wallpaper, and even writing on the wall. Considering that it was an executive floor, I was a bit disappointed. I did mention these defects upon checking out.
Old Oct 28, 09, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just to clarify...my comments were in regard to the OP's perception of what was said to him by someone in customer service. He is entitled to that (mis)perception, even if it was not was really the meaning intended to be conveyed. We have all had communications over the phone where misunderstandings occur, so one's perception is what is reality to them, even if the message delivered was not fully understood. This is why I said that I did not feel that the customer service person's message was being represented correctly and the OP has since augmented his comments to be more in line with how I understand his conversations went.

On the other hand, my comments were not an indictment of the OP's truthfulness or the hotel's position on this matter either. The OP is the only person in the world who absolutely knows if he smoked or not. The hotel obviously highly suspects it, feels they can stand by their people, and feels they are due the remedy they have implemented. So, this is a classic "he said/she said" scenario that none of us can really affirm one way or another. We can certainly choose sides if we wish to based upon the circumstances presented by the OP, but then - like you said - we are only hearing one side of the story.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
And it sounds as though now the only remedy is to go through the credit card company.

I've stayed at this hotel once and would've stayed for the location again, but with this thread (in which I believe the OP, BTW) and with my experience of brusque customer service at the front desk and really worn rooms, I'll simply stay elsewhere next time.

And others should use this thread to make the same determination.
Old Oct 28, 09, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP is the only person in the world who absolutely knows if he smoked or not. The hotel obviously highly suspects it, feels they can stand by their people, and feels they are due the remedy they have implemented. So, this is a classic "he said/she said" scenario that none of us can really affirm one way or another. We can certainly choose sides if we wish to based upon the circumstances presented by the OP, but then - like you said - we are only hearing one side of the story.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Or 1 of the OPs friends might have. But either way I would have thought the Hotel would have Dinged him for the cleaning charges 1-2-3 and not have waited as long as they have

It has happened to a couple of my friends at non-*W Hotels and the charge was there within a day. Of cause when it was disputed and the Hotel wasnt able to supply the receipts from the Professional Cleaning company the CC held in Favor of its Customer and did a charge back to the Hotel

I would think that if someone in fact did smoke that the Hotel wouldnt have simply sent a maid in with a can of freshener, but would have hired a Professional company to make sure everything was cleansed of smoke, so that the next occupant wouldnt have the smell.

I do know that when a person gets it on with a member of a flight crew and doesnt back down. That crew member simply says Your Off this Flight and says they feel threathened that the person might come to do something mid-flight and the Cockpit crew will automatically back their fellow workers, and off you go.

I dont know too if the OP or a friend of his smoked or not, but I can see where a Hotel will use this as a Smoke Screen (pun intended) and reason to put an end to everything.

after all wasnt this the same Hotel that went to court against another person who sued them , I think over an Error Rate and claimed that person did things that he didnt do.

A recent Westin stay where the DND on my door wasnt Honored by Housekeeping. The mgr spoke with the person and she said all I did was close the door. Of cause when I insisted someone come up and check out the room, they were able to see that in fact the room was serviced and she didnt simply just close the door that she said she found not locked

Last edited by craz; Oct 28, 09 at 4:09 pm
Old Oct 28, 09, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I have been in rooms that smelled of smoke. The first thing I did, when observing this is to call the front desk and report it. There should definitely be some sort of confirmation by a management employee if they're going to charge you for smoking.
I thought the same thing. I know that I've walked into rooms in older hotels that smell like smoke -- from now on I will report this to the front desk and ask to be moved to a room that does not smell like smoke.
Old Oct 30, 09, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
So then I will just refer to my own first hand experience and I don't recognize even close to what the OP experienced at this property. I have stayed at the property 4 times the last 2 months, haven't seen any molds in any of the suites or rooms I've had, service has been excellent.
I like this hotel, but the story doesn't surprise me.

I just checked out after a 1 night stay this morning. Booked a king room, was given a twin after waiting 20 minutes to check in (marathon week, it was a complete zoo). Was moved to a king, where there was mold in the tub/shower just like the OP recounts - the caulking needed to be replaced and the grout between the tiles was disgusting. The DVD player didn't work. The minibar didn't work (was warm) and the Diet Coke I got was spoiled.

The rooms definitely need to be refreshed. But I like the location and with all its faults it's miles ahead of the Sheraton New York or Sheraton Manhattan.

I am surprised at the level of hostility the OP encountered - I've always thought the staff were nice, they dealt with the crowds yesterday very politely. And when I checked out this morning the night manager was at the desk, I told her about the problems for maintenance, and she apologized sincerely, saying that they would gladly have moved me again - which I hadn't wanted to do after a late dinner. Instead she gave me a good deal on a return trip for a park view room next week when otherwise the lowest rate is more than my corporate maximum, which is fine by me.

But you never know, I've had run-ins like the OP describes with staff at two W's and it will be years (if ever) before I return to that brand.
Old Oct 30, 09, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I'll be a bit facetios;
  1. Are you sure you didn't imagine the mold, because the assistant Housekeeper insists that there is no mold and we beleive her above you.

2. Perhaps the mold was the residue from your smoking. The assistant Housekeeper says the room smelled like smoke and that the mold you saw was just tar stains. Perhaps you were smoking drugs in the room which is why you imagined seeing mold where there definitely was none (after all, our assistant housekeeper says there was none and she is always right).

3. Did you file a complaint with Starwood? If you did we will need to retaliate in order to make it your fault and not ours. Please let us know so we can add on $500 to your bill. Please note that we have amended our terms and conditions to say that anyone who lodges a corporate complaint against us is subject to a $500 penalty. This charge will appear on your bill as "Concierge Services".

Last edited by dfyant; Oct 30, 09 at 12:46 pm Reason: Couldn't have a typo in my joke
Old Oct 30, 09, 12:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton, Aeroplan, Airmiles, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dfyant View Post
post100
LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Oct 30, 09 at 5:05 pm
Old Oct 30, 09, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Just some odd things that don't seem to add up to me --

1). OP is a vegan -- usually for health and perhaps moral reasons.

2). OP is a smoker and sells tobacco products -- something that is a known carcinogen and killer.

3). OP smelled "mold."

4). OP is a smoker and sells tobacco products, and those who smoke have definitely altered their ability to smell things and yet OP is able to smell "mold."

5). OP posts pictures of the nauseating mold problem, yet I am not the only one who cannot see anything wrong with the room.

6). OP posts a picture of a crack.

7). This member says so what?

8). OP is definitely polite -- no question about that.

I don't know what to think. Does not seem in keeping with OP to have smoked in the room and retaliation is possible, but perhaps because hotel did view as some have suggested, the OP as "high maintenance."

9). I would like more information:

a). When did OP check-in?
b). When did he first complain?
c). When did he move to the other room?
d). What time did he leave the hotel?

Remember, from the hotel's perspective and the OP's admission, the hotel was near sell-out, so his departure at a late time could have meant no revenue for the room that night that otherwise could have been sold to someone else.

I think this is where the $500 charge may come into play.

Just my 2 cents, but I am inclined to agree with William here, that we are only learning of one side of the story.

The OP even allows that he/she is a bit of a stickler, so hotel may have been annoyed at the seemingly inconsequential demands being placed upon them.
Old Oct 30, 09, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Wow that's a lot of questions and a long post. I don't sell cigarettes and the products I do sell aren't ones that people are normally addicted to (so please don't group me in with big tobacco in your mind). I didn't smoke anything in that room, the results would have been too problematic as I would have reeked like I went to a trade show.

I checked in very late, perhaps 10pm and complained at about 10:45pm. They weren't sold out yet. Even if I had checked in at 2am it doesn't change the issues - moldy rooms and retaliation from the hotel for complaining over their heads.

The first room was extremely moldy. Other posters who have stayed in that hotel agree - even after this mold incident the hotel is still getting mold complaints. They are likely towing the same line about how mold is not dangerous or that it simply doesn't exist and we're all making it up for some unbeknownst reason.

Given that others had the same mold experience, I would hope that by now you beleive me that the room was indeed moldy and smelled poorly. Given that, I must ask you if it makes sense that a person who is bothered by the smell of mold would then begin smoking in that same room?

However this really isn't a case of he said/she said because there is a definitive timeline which the hotel can't change. There are also others (witnesses perhaps) who have had a similarly moldy experience. Why would all of us make that up? There is no possible benefit to me and the other posters or reviewers other then to vent and to warn people like you of our negative experience at the Parker Meridien.

It's human nature to warn others of trouble, unless you are a shadenfreude. This entire forum was created to help the traveling community. I hope that this particular thread helps towards that goal.
Old Oct 30, 09, 4:26 pm
Suspended

I won't repeat your statements above just address them in no particular order.

I understand you don't sell cigarrettes -- likely cigars -- and given that you are Canadian, that cigar you left at the property was probably one that was on someone's embargo list.

I am not going to belabor the point -- smoking of any kind is not healthy and cigar smoke is just as bad for your olfactory senses as cigarette smoke, perhaps worse as it is stronger and longer lasting.

Second, I did not see any mold in those pictures and although there may have been, it also is quite evident that your threshold for potential exposure to allergens and viruses is quite low. I would not call you a hypochondriac per se, but you probably do have certain exaggerated concerns over your health and safety: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ml#post6390346

(Thus, it is quite ironic, given your predelictions, for you to make the following blanket statment in this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6499314-post23.html)

You should also know that smoking of any kind lowers your immune system, although cigarette smoking is far more damaging that cigar or snuff use.

Third, as I had suspected, the hotel lost revenue due to your room switch and then evacuation.

Fourth, and finally, just because some others have posted their unhappiness over their rooms or service at the PM does not make that hotel a hell-hole, nor does it validate your problems. There are just as many, if not more, positive reviews of that property and the service provided by same to cause one to discount the individuals who have voiced complaints about same.

I wish you luck in your endeavors to have AMEX reverse the charges and I don't see why they won't inasmuch as you charge over $2 million dollars a year to that card. They would be penny wise and pound foolish were they not to believe you since you are such a great customer of theirs.
Old Oct 30, 09, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I am a bleeding heart liberal as you have pointed out. However I think you miss-read the thread in so much as you seem to think that I did leave the hotel and was then charged $500 for that.

I did not leave the hotel, when I gave up on them and requested their help in moving to a different hotel they finally agreed to move me to a different room. That was done during the day with plenty of time for them to clean my old room (and get rid of the mold in the bathroom hopefully), then re-rent to a new unsuspecting party.

The hotel did not make any allegation of smoking until after I had checked out of the second room and lodged a complaint with Starwood. The manager then claimed he spoke to me at the hotel in my room on the 12th (I departed on the 11th) and then later proceeded to charge me $500 for smoking in the room (which room I don't know).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: