Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Old Oct 25, 09, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
The revenue manager is probably just happy that you canceled the award reservation. More money from paid reservations.
Why would they care? SPG reimburses for award stays, don't they?

I liked a lot about the property -- mainly the location, but it really is a tired, worn property.
Old Oct 25, 09, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Why would they care? SPG reimburses for award stays, don't they?
They do but nowhere close what they get from paid reservations.
Old Oct 25, 09, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
They do but nowhere close what they get from paid reservations.
especially when they get a few suckers who actually pay the rack rate or some of those outrageous "promo" rates.
Old Oct 25, 09, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The revenue manager is probably just happy that you canceled the award reservation. More money from paid reservations.
Maybe, but the reason I canceled wasn't to teach them a lesson. It was for my benefit so that I don't have to deal with them should anything go wrong.

Also, if an award night is going to displace other paid reservations, it means they are nearly full, in which case they get a much higher, similar-to-paid rates reimbursement.
Old Oct 27, 09, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
As an update, Starwood Customer Service tried very hard to get the hotel to reverse the false charges. However after speaking to the hotel management they too have given up. They were very nice about everything and offered to split the false charge with me as a goodwill gesture.

I politely declined as I am counting on Amex to come through and fix this mess. It's definitely important to note that this hotel is apparantly just a bad apple - Starwood made a point of making that very clear and that their other hotels would not conduct themselves in this improper manner.

So - kudos to Starwood for trying but if they really want to fix things they should sanction the Parker Meridien for such bad behavior. The expression "one bad apple spoils the bunch" comes to mind.
Old Oct 27, 09, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
NOW this is getting weird.
The hotel gets a call from HQ and refuses to reverse the "false" charges?
If this all went down EXACTLY as the OP has reported then this is a near low for SPG not standing up for its customers against rogue hotels.

I do believe there is some sort of financial punishment against the hotels in matters of non-complience.But I do not know if this case would qualify.

Escalation to SPG Consumer Affairs might be in order here.
Old Oct 27, 09, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dfyant View Post
I politely declined as I am counting on Amex to come through and fix this mess. It's definitely important to note that this hotel is apparantly just a bad apple - Starwood made a point of making that very clear and that their other hotels would not conduct themselves in this improper manner.
When it comes to bad apples, some other very moldy properties I've experienced are...
1. Le Méridien Nirwana Golf & Spa Resort
2. Sheraton Grande Laguna, Phuket, filthy filthy filthy property
3. Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, moldy bedding also

I've received as many as 10k points for moldy rooms at cheap SPG properties, so for the money you spent, 25k points is the bare minimum that should be given.

Let amex take care of the dispute. Surprised by this property being so bad, but it's just another example of typical SPG inconsistency.
Old Oct 27, 09, 4:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena View Post
...If this all went down EXACTLY as the OP has reported then this is a near low for SPG not standing up for its customers against rogue hotels.
I think Thyetus alluded to the fact that there may be some differing points of view earlier in this thread. Not all of them coming from the hotel. Not that I think the OP is purposely misrepresenting anything necessarily, but I think some liberties are being taken with regard to the opinions of some Starwood employees. Sometimes that can simply be attributed to the point of view you wish it to be.

...Escalation to SPG Consumer Affairs might be in order here.
Sorry, but that review has already been completed.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 27, 09, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

I apologize if I was not clear in my post. The person I have been working with at Starwood now is very professional and a pleasure to speak with. He in essence becomes your advocate when you have a problem such as this. He did try very hard to solve the problem but the hotel absolutely refuses to change their position.

The Starwood representatives have been the shining light at the end of a dark Parker Meridien Tunnel.

Thyetus is being coy in his posts, but the truth is that this hotel has unacceptable levels of mold in their bathrooms and numerous other problems that have been outlined by other posters. Their customer service is unacceptable and Starwood should (if they can) take action to retrain the staff of the Parker that a customer is valuable - and not always wrong.

(also to be VERY clear - the Starwood professional that I have been speaking with acted as my advocate - so anything that I have posted is only in that sense - he never said that the Parker did anything wrong nor did he admit that the charge was false. His job is to resolve the situation amicably and to take the side of the customer in this situaiton, which he did remarkably well).

It is unacceptable that the response to complaining to Starwood is that the hotel retaliates with false charges and false accusations. A housekeeper that has been proven to be wrong saves face by blaming a guest for the problem. Management backs the housekeeper at all costs and against what would be customary.

I think that summarizes the issue in a nutshell. I would invite William to do a visit to the hotel unannounced and view a few bathrooms. The results would definitely cause a very large apology to come my way.

Last edited by dfyant; Oct 27, 09 at 6:06 pm Reason: Clarification point
Old Oct 28, 09, 7:49 am

Best of luck with your dispute. I'm glad I checked the site out, we were going to book a long weekend stay here for December. For me, avoiding the hotel has more to do with the hotel management's handling of the situation than the complaint itself. We will look elsewhere.
Old Oct 28, 09, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the Lesson to be Learnt is: Be careful what you Wish For or Demand. (This isnt on the OP perse)

I believe it was only in the last yr that this Hotel went from NOT being a Participating Hotel with SPG to coming on board. I remember reading posts where people were highly critical of SPG for not forcing this Hotel to be a full member with SPG.
Old Oct 28, 09, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dfyant View Post
He in essence becomes your advocate when you have a problem such as this. He did try very hard to solve the problem but the hotel absolutely refuses to change their position.
Sounds like the problem is an SPG employee doesn't understand the whole business of Starwood Hotels.

Here's the way I see it...
The hotels and Starwood are in a franchising arrangement. As a consumer, when you book a Starwood hotel, it shouldn't matter who owns the hotel, as long as it's a Starwood hotel. Therefor, as far as you're concerned, you're doing business with Starwood only. This is the same model as McDonalds. No what's happening here is Starwood is trying to shift the blame to the owners of the hotel that franchise the property, when they are ultimately the seller of this stay and they vouch for it being a good property with their brand name. As a consumer, you shouldn't be involved in any back and forth between the hotel and Starwood, that's why you booked a Starwood hotel. This is Starwood's problem to resolve with the hotel and side with you and go after the franchised property. Unfortunately, it sounds like Starwood wants to shift the blame to the property when they were the ones who staked their reputation on letting this hotel become a Starwood property.

It's a shame that no one at Starwood understands this concept of franchising the brand. McDonalds operates franchises, but if you have a complaint, you call corporate headquarters and they sort it out and go after the franchisee.

Starwood is ultimately responsible in the end, but as usual they are shifting the blame to a third party. Instead of doing the right thing, they are acting like Expedia when a customer books a roach motel through their website. Remember that next time you book a SPG property, because all I see here is them shifting the blame to a roach motel with their name on it.
Old Oct 28, 09, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bschaff1 View Post
Sounds like the problem is an SPG employee doesn't understand the whole business of Starwood Hotels.

Here's the way I see it...
The hotels and Starwood are in a franchising arrangement. As a consumer, when you book a Starwood hotel, it shouldn't matter who owns the hotel, as long as it's a Starwood hotel. Therefor, as far as you're concerned, you're doing business with Starwood only. This is the same model as McDonalds. No what's happening here is Starwood is trying to shift the blame to the owners of the hotel that franchise the property, when they are ultimately the seller of this stay and they vouch for it being a good property with their brand name. As a consumer, you shouldn't be involved in any back and forth between the hotel and Starwood, that's why you booked a Starwood hotel. This is Starwood's problem to resolve with the hotel and side with you and go after the franchised property. Unfortunately, it sounds like Starwood wants to shift the blame to the property when they were the ones who staked their reputation on letting this hotel become a Starwood property.

It's a shame that no one at Starwood understands this concept of franchising the brand. McDonalds operates franchises, but if you have a complaint, you call corporate headquarters and they sort it out and go after the franchisee.

Starwood is ultimately responsible in the end, but as usual they are shifting the blame to a third party. Instead of doing the right thing, they are acting like Expedia when a customer books a roach motel through their website. Remember that next time you book a SPG property, because all I see here is them shifting the blame to a roach motel with their name on it.
Bschaff1,

In my humble opinion your post above is too harsh on SPG, and most of your recent posts have been in that tone. SPG is a great product and you can never keep all the customers happy all the time in hospitality industry. The OP is saying complimentary things about the "SPG advocate" but you are somehow spinning it differently based on your agenda. I am not asking you not to post your opinion, I am just giving my two cents

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Oct 28, 09 at 2:23 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 28, 09, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd View Post
In my humble opinion your post above is too harsh on SPG, and most of your recent posts have been in that tone. SPG is a great product and you can never keep all the customers happy all the time in hospitality industry. The OP is saying complimentary things about the "SPG advocate" but you are somehow spinning it differently based on your agenda.
I think his opinion is completely valid. The SPG people have been very professional, courteous and everyone acknowledges that. His opinion is that they should have over-rode the franchisee hotel given a strong franchise model where the Brand (Starwood) is superior to the individual franchisee (Parker). He is correct but in this particular relationship it doesn't seem to be the reality of the relationship.

Perhaps Starwood is following a method similar to Star Alliance where the individual brands within the alliance retain most of the power. Eg if you use Aeroplan to fly on LH and have a problem on LH the complaint would normally go to LH directly. The stronger aspect of the brands are the individual members not the alliance itself.
Old Oct 28, 09, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When the big hotel chains decided they wanted to be in the reservations & branding businesses, rather than hold a lot of real estate, the die was cast. We have a situation of co-dependency today.

A follow-on question for Lurker (who has seen his patience tested); What's the biggest hotel chain (N.A. or world) where all properties are owned, and how many hotels does it have?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: