Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Old Oct 23, 09, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by phish1209 View Post
OP if it is of any satisfaction I just canceled a 3 night stay next week in a paid suite based on this thread and moved my stay to the W on Lex which is where I usually stay anyways. This whole thread annoys me in that they seem so indifferent to your poor experience.
Good choice. That place is a complete dump. I live in NYC and used one of my free weekend nights there. (it was either that or lose it) My wife and I were actually upgraded to a corner suite. The room smelled like an old pair of socks, the carpet was stained and the TV was from 1983. We were gone within an hour of checking in. Didnt even tell the front desk.
Old Oct 23, 09, 9:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton, Aeroplan, Airmiles, Hertz Gold
Just saw a very negative review of LPM review on tripadvisor with a picture that says alot. Mold and cracked ceiling, I don't think you are the only one seeing things.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Oct 24, 09 at 11:34 pm
Old Oct 23, 09, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
It seems that over the years one common theme has shown in the various Parker threads: management seems to take a heavy hand approach towards customer issues.

I'm sure this is a difficult situation for SPG since they want this hotel in the program (only recently getting them to join), yet they also need the hotel to play by the service standard rules of the SPG program.
Old Oct 23, 09, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
It seems that over the years one common theme has shown in the various Parker threads: management seems to take a heavy hand approach towards customer issues.
Yes. I think you're right.
Today I canceled 8 award nights I had booked at this property.
There are plenty of other options, and it's just not worth going to a property that has inconsistent room quality and a longitudinal reputation of not treating customers' concerns with respect.

Side note: I found mold in a room at another hotel (an Intercontinental), and the hotel was horrified. They immediately moved me to an upgraded room, brought up wine/water/refreshments, provided a voucher for breakfast, and gave me enough Priority Club points for a night at any Intercontinental in the world. The GM called me the next day to apologize. I didn't have to do anything other than point out the mold.
Old Oct 23, 09, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
Side note: I found mold in a room at another hotel (an Intercontinental), and the hotel was horrified. They immediately moved me to an upgraded room, brought up wine/water/refreshments, provided a voucher for breakfast, and gave me enough Priority Club points for a night at any Intercontinental in the world. The GM called me the next day to apologize. I didn't have to do anything other than point out the mold.
Since Le Meridian Parker, NYC is obviously monitoring this thread, I can see GM reading this post and thinking aloud:

Intercontinental managers need to learn how to deliver the "lecture" on "Not all mold is bad for you." They have no business taking mold seriously and treating customer with respect and freebies. What do they think they are in - hospitality business?

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Oct 23, 09 at 10:57 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 24, 09, 4:31 am

Programs: USAir Gold; Delta Gold; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Surprised!

I am surprised at the LPM's response. Sorry.

I stay at LPM at least four days a month booking a junior suite. Service has usually been top notch, save for not getting my shoes back one morning after sending down for a shoe shine. Front desk staff gets surly/irritated when I ask whether a certain room preference (park view, corner room, or higher floor) is available and they have to look again, making me feel guilty for asking. Perhaps it's the rate I am paying. But a high floor park view recently produced this:

I've encountered mold in the shower at LPM, but it didn't seem to bother me enough to call. At another SPG hotel down 7th Ave, I looked up while showering and was greeted by a ceiling covered in black mold spots. I was checking out, so didn't mention anything, but probably should have.

I've a number of paid and award reservations around the holidays that I am thinking of canceling and moving to the W.

Last edited by Gski; Oct 24, 09 at 9:21 pm
Old Oct 24, 09, 8:22 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I do hope that those of you who are cancelling stays as a result of this incident let the hotel management and Starwood management know of your actions. Otherwise, they have no idea they are losing business due to this treatment of a guest.

Of course, based on other threads... it may make no difference anyway.
Old Oct 24, 09, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Nothing much new to add but it does upset me because LPM is in a great location and it could so easily be THE spg hotel in NYC

When I first went I was even slightly surprised it was a CAT 5 hotel and not a CAT 6 hotel - I guess this explains in part....

One thing to note - LPM very very expensive in november. Nearly always 100$ more than Tuscany, Court + Lex - strange really
Old Oct 24, 09, 11:47 am
Community Director

Everyone has different experiences, as can be seen in the master thread for this hotel. That's particularly true in a hotel that is overdue for a renovation. Fortunately, mine have been excellent at this property.
Old Oct 24, 09, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Everyone has different experiences, as can be seen in the master thread for this hotel. That's particularly true in a hotel that is overdue for a renovation. Fortunately, mine have been excellent at this property.
Mine was good, but I thought the front desk was surly and I avoided them as much as I could. Cashing a check was almost an unheard of event (I didn't wish to pay ATM fees and I had my checkbook).

I'll avoid this hotel next time. The rooms are worn and the TVs terribly old, anyway.
Old Oct 24, 09, 1:59 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Yes. I think you're right.
There are plenty of other options, and it's just not worth going to a property that has inconsistent room quality and a longitudinal reputation of not treating customers' concerns with respect.
+1

I was just about to book a pre-Thanksgiving stay at this property, but this saga scared me away from this property for good.

It sounds like LPM is descending to the level of its other SPG Cat 5 properties (e.g., The 7th Avenue Sheraton Twins).
Old Oct 24, 09, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by nswat View Post
Aside from whether the OP asked to be moved to another room or another hotel, I find it extremely disconcerting that a hotel manager from an upscale property will try and endanger a guests health by insisting that mold is not dangerous. That is not a decision that they have the competence to make, unless the manager has a PHD in microbiology! Certainly that is not the way to deal with a problem of this nature.

Having seen the Lurkers in action here I think this will be professionally resolved, but the issue certainly goes beyond a room change query.
Some mold is certainly completely harmless, however there is also some mold that can cause many problems up to and including death. I agree that unless the manager is a licensed mold inspector (something i would have definitely asked when they started to talk to me about how safe mold is) they have no ability to provide advice on mold. I think that may constitute advice that must be given by a licensed professional especially since the manager was acting in a professional capacity, and would make that advice essentially against the law. i always wonder how stupid someone is when the argument they use to say something is safe is that its "natural". do they not realize that "natural" substances kill people daily?
Old Oct 24, 09, 6:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Pardon my ignorance, but what am I supposed to be seeing in those pictures?

I have stayed at the property numerous times the last few months and have not seen/smelled any mold. I find this property more than satisfactory and I'm not canceling my upcoming stays because of this thread.

As for the cigar issue, I would just dispute this with American Express
Old Oct 25, 09, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what am I supposed to be seeing in those pictures?

I have stayed at the property numerous times the last few months and have not seen/smelled any mold. I find this property more than satisfactory and I'm not canceling my upcoming stays because of this thread.

As for the cigar issue, I would just dispute this with American Express
Of course this is your choice. I don't see anyone who doesn't stay here running to do so to counterbalance those of us who simply will not, though.
Old Oct 25, 09, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The revenue manager is probably just happy that you canceled the award reservation. More money from paid reservations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: