Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Awful experience and strange blowoff (mold in suites at Parker Meridien NYC)

Old Dec 15, 09, 9:00 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Boy, what a depressing thread. So let me get this straight:

1. We should not be specific lest the hotel put two and two together and try to retaliate

2. We should be less than honest and only report great experiences and upgrades - lest the hotel retaliate.

3. Retaliation is easy - they have our credit card numbers and, it seems, we are guilty until proven innocent.

I totally believe that neither the Lurkers not SPG ratted the OP out. But FlyerTalk exists for a reason - so we can share the bad and the good. And SPG, in their wisdom, has assigned Lurkers to this board so represent us and to represent Starwood, and to make us feel that we are heard and valued.

The OP's situation alone is merely a sad story. The chorus of amens seems to indicate that there may be a problem here that would put this hotel beyond the image that Starwood wishes to put out there. I certainly don't expect the Lurkers to have the kind of power that some posters seem to want - the ability to dictate resolution and even kick hotels out of the system.

Years ago, my family and I had a horrible experience with a flight attendant on TWA. AFter the flight, I went to the desk to make a formal complaint. The manager on duty actually made compensation and told me that my report would be placed in the person's file. They told me that this report alone would not mean much, but if there was a pattern, it would be harshly and firmly dealt with. I think all people here want to know is that this is being seriously investigated to determine if there is a pattern here and, if so, for Starwood to react appropriately.

That said, I've only had good experiences at this hotel but I sure was nervous the last time I checked in!
Old Dec 15, 09, 9:07 am

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd View Post
I think what Thyetus meant to say that by posting fine details of your stay/experience here, hotels monitoring these sites may put two and two together to "learn" who said what (without Lurkers or SPG revealing anybody's identity).[...]

Seems like LPM's fear and tactics got to ChinaTrvl (no disrespect intended). ChinaTrvl does not want to waste time/energy on this and so he/she posted a diplomatic (and academic) post, saying that the "bad" stuff can not be concluded based on his comments due to lack of data points and thus statistically not important.
^ I agree fully.
Some might carried away by negative reviews and doom the hotel for good for just a couple of non-positive reviews. I do not want anyone to generalize from my post that this is a bad hotel, it was merely a bad experience. Personally, I would also not generalize from the OP's experience: E.g. 2 unhappy customers and 100 happy ones? Not really a reason to, well, doom this hotel at all. But that is only my opinion - although I would book another hotel next time

I also doubt the LM can identify me just because of my post - there were too many different (front desk) staff members that I spoke to.

I would also have posted such an experience in the InterConti forum (where, so I reckon, 90 % of my reviews are positive). It arguably took a bit more "disgruntling" to search in the SPG, where I hardly ever post, but I would never have expect such an overwhelming feedback and such great attempt to generalize any bad review of the LM. That was not my intention. Just as in the IC forum, I thought I share my experience and, well, that's it. No generalization intended, also I did not expect to be silenced by Lurker II for preferring to stay anonymous.

Anyway, I think I spent more time and energy now on FT posting about and rectifying this issue than it would have cost me to file a complaint
So let this be my last post about my stay - I'm still on holidays after all

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Dec 15, 09 at 9:53 am
Old Dec 15, 09, 12:29 pm

Programs: marriott platinum
Off topic request

(As to all this talk of mold - for Pete's sake, I can buy a bottle of root-killing mold remover at my local supermarket for $4 - spray it on, the mold is killed in minutes. A light spray every few days keeps it away.)

Off topic. Nevertheless would appreciate a response. We have a minor mold problem in the master bath shower. I get rid of the mold periodically by applying bleach and have to be careful with the application.

I'd be interested in knowing the name of the product you use.
Old Dec 15, 09, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by avja View Post
(As to all this talk of mold - for Pete's sake, I can buy a bottle of root-killing mold remover at my local supermarket for $4 - spray it on, the mold is killed in minutes. A light spray every few days keeps it away.)

Off topic. Nevertheless would appreciate a response. We have a minor mold problem in the master bath shower. I get rid of the mold periodically by applying bleach and have to be careful with the application.

I'd be interested in knowing the name of the product you use.
No problem - for you (and the LPM housekeeping staff), try:

http://www.tilex.com/mildew-root-remover/

The stuff kills quickly - but you need frequent treatments to keep the mold away in high-humidity or heavy-use environments (hint for LPM).
Old Dec 15, 09, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by stevens397 View Post
Boy, what a depressing thread. So let me get this straight:

1. We should not be specific lest the hotel put two and two together and try to retaliate

2. We should be less than honest and only report great experiences and upgrades - lest the hotel retaliate.

3. Retaliation is easy - they have our credit card numbers and, it seems, we are guilty until proven innocent.
The above may be true for the Parker Le Meridien with their extreme tactics (see this, other threads about mistake rates, smoking fees, removing negative reviews from TripAdvisor, etc.) But keep in mind this property is run a little differently than most SPG properties, so the above 3 points are something I'd worry less about when you're talking non Parker properties.

Methinks we'll see LPM dropping SPG affiliation in the next year. I know SPG worked really hard to get them to join the program, but it appears the owners of this specific hotel simply don't get it (customer care). SPG would be wise to drop them from the program.
Old Dec 15, 09, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post

Methinks we'll see LPM dropping SPG affiliation in the next year. I know SPG worked really hard to get them to join the program, but it appears the owners of this specific hotel simply don't get it (customer care). SPG would be wise to drop them from the program.
Amen. I predicted this about 100 posts earlier in this thread. Let's hope this happens soon so Mods can close this depressing thread.
Old Dec 15, 09, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
WOW, I guess I will stick with the IC in NY next week I was going to go for some double points NOT NOW! YUCK mold and they dont want to do anything.
Old Dec 15, 09, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Wow. What a saga. LPM is one NY hotel I'll skip.
Old Dec 15, 09, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
No problem - for you (and the LPM housekeeping staff), try:

http://www.tilex.com/mildew-root-remover/

The stuff kills quickly - but you need frequent treatments to keep the mold away in high-humidity or heavy-use environments (hint for LPM).
Sure, Tilex works very well. But the active ingredient is chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite), which is a pretty harsh and strong-smelling chemical. It's possible that hotels (not just LPM) don't want to use it because (in no particular order): 1) exposing workers to it all day might not be good; 2) exposing guests to it all day might not be good; and 3) the odor of chlorine is pretty offensive to some people.... etc. Just speculation on my part. Maybe they DO use something, but less odorous and less toxic (therefore less effective).
Old Dec 16, 09, 12:03 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd View Post
I think what Thyetus meant to say that by posting fine details of your stay/experience here, hotels monitoring these sites may put two and two together to "learn" who said what (without Lurkers or SPG revealing anybody's identity). So for example, if Chinatrvl were to file a complaint through SPG and then his/her detailed comments here will help LPM to put things together and maybe retaliate against the complaining guest. Not posting here is the best solution if retaliation from a hotel is of utmost concern to anybody.

Seems like LPM's fear and tactics got to ChinaTrvl (no disrespect intended). ChinaTrvl does not want to waste time/energy on this and so he/she posted a diplomatic (and academic) post, saying that the "bad" stuff can not be concluded based on his comments due to lack of data points and thus statistically not important.
Thank you for clarifying.

I am sorry if anyone finds that particular sentence I have written offensive. In actual fact, I always welcome feedback regarding the properties or our program/promotions. Members who have left negative feedback on our properties in AP would have received a note from me seeking permission to forward their comments to the management of individual property with the details of the reservation included. Even if the member prefers not to reveal his or her identity, I would include the feedback in my report to the property.

I think it is better for me not to comment further on this issue. But I do believe that there is nothing to be afraid of if you have encountered an unpleasant stay at our properties. If there are more unhappiness after the property has responded, by all means let me know and I would follow up accordingly.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Dec 16, 09, 4:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I can't believe this thread is still going on.

I just booked two stays at this property in January and will bring a camera and look for the supposed mold and write an extensive report when I get back.
Old Dec 16, 09, 5:02 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
FWIW, checked in last month, got the upgrade to the Junior Suite and immediately went into the bathroom to check it out. Apparently, I was upgraded even further to the mold-free Junior Suite!

As I said earlier, we had a great stay and we're sad to read of the grief that others have had - especially since it seems it could have been so easy to avoid.
Old Dec 16, 09, 5:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by stevens397 View Post
FWIW, checked in last month, got the upgrade to the Junior Suite and immediately went into the bathroom to check it out. Apparently, I was upgraded even further to the mold-free Junior Suite!

As I said earlier, we had a great stay and we're sad to read of the grief that others have had - especially since it seems it could have been so easy to avoid.
^, a double upgrade!
Old Dec 16, 09, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
On the downside, we queued for 10 minutes for breakfast before we encountered a staff member who asked us if we had reservations (I have to ask who ever makes reservations for breakfast? I have never found the need to do this at any other property elsewhere in the world in over 20 years of travel). The bar area was also extremely small which meant that it was practically impossible to get a seat (again are reservations necessary?). As a result this was probably my first hotel stay in some time when I had little in the way of incidentals on my final bill (except internet access). Although we did eat one day at the Burger Joint this couldn't be charged to the room.
Unfortunately, Norma's is one of the more popular breakfast/brunch spots in the city, and yes you DO need a reservation because of the popularity.

I agree that Knave bar is small, but I never had a issue trying to get 2 seats when we stayed there.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf View Post
Sure, Tilex works very well. But the active ingredient is chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite), which is a pretty harsh and strong-smelling chemical. It's possible that hotels (not just LPM) don't want to use it because (in no particular order): 1) exposing workers to it all day might not be good; 2) exposing guests to it all day might not be good; and 3) the odor of chlorine is pretty offensive to some people.... etc. Just speculation on my part. Maybe they DO use something, but less odorous and less toxic (therefore less effective).

Well, mold is pretty serious stuff, and it's either killed or not. Based on our previous stays, we never had a mold issue. Also, we never had a tub in the room either, which I was surprised to find someone mentioned about mold in the tub.
Old Dec 16, 09, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
To sum up:

LPM customer service:

AMEX customer service: ^

SPG customer service: inconclusive.

I just signed up for the SPG AMEX today (my first AMEX). Reading this thread makes me feel pretty good about AMEX but a little trepidatious about Starwood.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: