Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Do names have to match when you do a SPG points transfer to airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Do names have to match when you do a SPG points transfer to airline? Can I transfer points to a airline account even if the names do not match? Is it like amex membership rewards, where I can transfer points to anybodys freq flyer account?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

They need to match. Folks have complained about points gone missing because they haven't, such as a woman having her maiden name on one account and her married name on another, or one partner trying to transfer to the other. And then the points don't return automatically, it takes intervention.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:33 pm

I cannot comment on all of the SPG to airline transfer options, but I can say with confidence that if you are transferring from SPG to BA the names DO NOT have to match.

My daughter had a small number of SPG points ( 2500 ish ) in her account, which by complete coincidence was almost exactly the number of miles I needed to add to my BA account to redeem for a trip to South America.

We weren't sure whether it would work, but I gave her my BA account number and she completed the transfer request on SPG.com. Sure enough appr. 10 days later the miles showed up in my BA account.

It should be noted that nowhere in the SPG.com online transfer request does it ask for a name. It only asks for the FF acount number.

Yes I realize that it is an inefficient use of SPG points to transfer them in increments of less than 20,000 but my daughter doesn't use her MBNA SPG credit card much, and with the Starwood / MBNA relationship ending in early 2010 it seemed like a reasonable use of the points.

And yes as SanDiego1K noted I am sure if something fouls up in the transfer it will be a real hassle to get it fixed, particularly if the names don't match.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
Do names have to match when you do a SPG points transfer to airline? Can I transfer points to a airline account even if the names do not match? Is it like amex membership rewards, where I can transfer points to anybodys freq flyer account?
There is a way around this. I do not believe that the names need to match if individuals live in the same house-hold. Therefore, just transfer points between SPG accounts, and then transfer those points from the recipient's account into the recipient's FF mile account -- in that way the Points to Miles transfer will match the names exactly (hopefully).
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
SPGto SPG - good option

Transferring to spouse - then airline a great option, however I have not found where to do on spg website. Found redeeming room, airlines etc. , but not transferring to another spg account.
Can anyone help with this?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kirkpt
Transferring to spouse - then airline a great option, however I have not found where to do on spg website. Found redeeming room, airlines etc. , but not transferring to another spg account.
Can anyone help with this?
You can't do it online...you have to call.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Worked with SQ in 2007

I was able to transferred a few thousand SPG points to SQ's Krisflyer back in 2007, that's when the ratio was still 1:1. Not sure if that's still doable now.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
I've been able to transfer points from my SPG account to my wife's airline loyalty account (NWA and UAL, I believe). Same last name.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:25 am

thanks. anyone know which other airline may have success with this?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any final word on this subject?

My situation is that I need to transfer a tiny amount of SPG points (like 1000) to LAN to top off my wife's LAN account to qualify for an award. She's a regular member, and I see SPG imposes a 2500 point minimum on those without status. I'm gold and I think the minimum is 1500. So I'd rather do it from my account.

On the other hand, dealing with LAN ff customer service generally sucks (and I can only imagine what it's now like post-earthquake), so I don't want the transfer to get screwed up.

Will it work if I transfer from my SPG account to my wife's LAN account? She actually has a different last name.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:38 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by iahphx
...Will it work if I transfer from my SPG account to my wife's LAN account? She actually has a different last name.

Thanks.
It will work to ensure that the points probably won't arrive in your wife's account. Give it a shot and let us know if it turns out otherwise.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
It will work to ensure that the points probably won't arrive in your wife's account. Give it a shot and let us know if it turns out otherwise.
I'm taking that as advice NOT to transfer points into other people's airline accounts. Is there a rule on this, or just a gut feeling?

It's not a big deal for me (I guess I'll have to waste 1000 spg points by putting them first in my wife's SPG account and then "living with" her minimum transfer limit), but I'm sure there are situations where it would matter more to SPG members.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:55 pm

I'm taking that as advice NOT to transfer points into other people's airline accounts. Is there a rule on this, or just a gut feeling?

It's not a big deal for me (I guess I'll have to waste 1000 spg points by putting them first in my wife's SPG account and then "living with" her minimum transfer limit), but I'm sure there are situations where it would matter more to SPG members.
It is a security rule that the airlines employ. Some airlines are more sensitive to it than others, apparently. Not knowing who is or isn't, I wouldn't take the chance as it could delay your transfer by more than a month in this instance.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
It is a security rule that the airlines employ. Some airlines are more sensitive to it than others, apparently.
Thanks. So then the rule is you can only transfer from Starwood to YOUR OWN airline accounts. If others have done differently, they've just gotten "lucky"?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:22 pm

Thanks. So then the rule is you can only transfer from Starwood to YOUR OWN airline accounts. If others have done differently, they've just gotten "lucky"?
That would be my best advice/best guess.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.