FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   What hotel would you recommend become a Starwood? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1005479-what-hotel-would-you-recommend-become-starwood.html)

adventurous Oct 13, 2009 12:12 pm

What hotel would you recommend become a Starwood?

I'd love to see Starwood make a Westin of this hotel in Santa Barbara.

I'd definitely go. It's not as though SB is not appealing enough.

chanp Oct 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Living in CA, I think SPG needs more of a presence along the central coast. I think from Ventura north to about Sunnyvale, there are NO SPG properties.

christianj Oct 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by adventurous (Post 12622127)

I would like it even more if they brought on board the Four Seasons (which has had ongoing management issues) or the Fess Parker in SB. FYI there is also a thread in this forum of areas that are in need of Starwood properties like the area you have mentioned.

terminalfive Oct 13, 2009 1:51 pm

Generally around the UK. Too many major cities - Bristol, Birmingham and Manchester to name a few - are without SPG properties

Oh and LGW - why have two properties at LHR???:confused:

mahasamatman Oct 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 12623035)
I would like it even more if they brought on board the Four Seasons (which has had ongoing management issues) or the Fess Parker in SB.

Just stayed at the Fess Parker this weekend. Probably the most overrated hotel we've ever stayed in. No way would I ever pay cash for that place - even as an award stay it was overpriced.

NJUPINTHEAIR Oct 13, 2009 2:44 pm

This is an easy one. We recently learned on the Marriott board that the JW Marriott on the island of Capri in Italy is leaving the fold in early November. Now, that would be a nice addition to Starwood Italy! ;)@:-)

adventurous Oct 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 12623035)
I would like it even more if they brought on board the Four Seasons (which has had ongoing management issues) or the Fess Parker in SB. FYI there is also a thread in this forum of areas that are in need of Starwood properties like the area you have mentioned.

I am on that thread a few times, but I was looking actual existing hotels on this one.

Those two you mentioned would be overpriced as Westins--maybe something else, not great enough to be St. Regis.

damaxer91 Oct 13, 2009 7:00 pm

SPG in Israel has become almost non-existent

sbtinme Oct 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Two Mexican Suggestions

Back to the OP's original question....

I can quickly think of two properties in Mexico that were once part of the Westin brand, but left many years ago. They were both excellent properties in perfect locations.

Las Brisas Hotel in Acapulco -- a knockout hotel from the 1960s. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

The Brisas Ixtapa. An architectural gem on a mostly secluded expansive beach.

For my money, these are two of the most special resorts in all of Mexico and I was terribly sad to see them leave the Westin brand. Thankfully, they're both still well managed and maintained by the Brisas folks. I'd be very happy to see them both come back to SPG, however.

CNWO4LIFE Oct 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Lowes Hotels.

itsaboutthejourney Oct 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by adventurous (Post 12622127)

I'd like to see this Santa Barbara (Montecito) hotel become Starwood.

freofan Oct 14, 2009 3:29 am

Whilst I can't pic specific established hotels, I know Starwood need a hotel in Adelaide, Australia and Wellington, New Zealand - both reasonable sized cities with no SPG representation. I'm having to use Hilton instead.

Football Fan Oct 14, 2009 3:45 am

Random pick: Hotel du Lac et du Parc in Riva del Garda at the Lago di Garda.

kats Oct 14, 2009 8:11 am

I would recommend the Tokyo Dome Hotel to be "Le Meridien Tokyo Dome". We need a LM hotel in Japan and this property is a nice 5* hotel in central Tokyo.

mario33 Oct 14, 2009 8:31 am

Bring back the Westin Plaza Singapore !