Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: LM sunny isles left spg - given 11 days notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: LM sunny isles left spg - given 11 days notice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I don't understand how a property in this situation can hold you to a non refundable rate. I would think there are grounds to show the contract was entered into under fraudulent terms.

As for SPG not giving credit or benefits, that's understandable. Can't expect to get points when there's no one to pay for them.

I liked this property. I'm going to miss it.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by terminalfive
<snip>
Is it possibile to know which properties are franchise properties?
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
<snip>
In fact, there are really precious few properties in the Starwood portfolio that aren't franchisees or under management contracts.
Per Starwoods "Company Info" page, and current as of December 31, 2008 (probably slightly different actual numbers by now, but valid enough for this discussion).

"At December 31, 2008, our hotel portfolio included owned, leased, managed and franchised hotels totaling 942 hotels with approximately 285,000 rooms in approximately 100 countries, and is comprised of 69 hotels that we own or lease or in which we have a majority equity interest, 436 hotels managed by us on behalf of third-party owners (including entities in which we have a minority equity interest) and 437 hotels for which we receive franchise fees."

Source: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...pany_info.html

By my math that means about 7% could be roughly considered not "franchised." Not sure you can plan your travels around that...

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:57 pm

It's possible to know which ones are owned. By deduction, the rest are managed by Starwood or franchisees....

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by Raindeer
It's possible to know which ones are owned. By deduction, the rest are managed by Starwood or franchisees....

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1
Great Raindeer!!
Replying also to scubadu am very surprised at the "7%" ownership. Would have thought it to be higher...

But still in Italy they actually have a lot of "owned" hotels. All major cities - Rome (2), Milan, Florence (2) and Venice covered

Looks like I'll go back to the Tuscany in NYC...^
I can't immagine how I would feel had I booked five days prepaid in a NYC hotel on a 300$ + room rate...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:03 am
Original Poster

So, this practice is more of any industry standard than some may wish to recognize.
Take your point. Thanks William for all your clarification

Personally I put SPG on a different level to Marriott and Hilton (I even vote for SPG in the freddie awards - normally I'm totally adverse to "voting") so it doesn't really make me feel a lot better to know that "everybody does it"

I think most would agree with me though that if a hotel leaves the chain 11 days notice is far to little

Creates chaos for the customer but also for SPG

This hotel is still listed in the 1000 points bonus scheme
http://www.starwoodpromos.com/starpo...EM=Q309_MT_NAD

No mention there either that it is leaving SPG
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:29 pm

But still in Italy they actually have a lot of "owned" hotels. All major cities - Rome (2), Milan, Florence (2) and Venice covered
Don't count on the Italian properties remaining w Starwood forever. If they could ever get 20x EBITDA for them again, they'd be sold in an instant.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Great Raindeer!!
Replying also to scubadu am very surprised at the "7%" ownership. Would have thought it to be higher...<snip>
Actually, this shouldn't be surprising at all. Most hotel flags today much prefer to be in the management/marketing business, than actually having ownership of the underlying capital assets (i.e. physical real estate).

Regards
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
So, this practice is more of any industry standard than some may wish to recognize.
No. While T&C may sound similar, the practice is different, at least at Marriott. I have had 4 reservations at hotels that left Marriott, and every single time I was contacted months ahead and offered to be moved to properties nearby (at the same rate) if I wished. There was also a notice displayed at property webpages about them leaving Marriott system. I was quite pleased how they handled the situation.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:37 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
:breaking news:

Lurker stayed at a non Starwood property

CNN did a great job covering this, don't you think?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
I'm a little surprised to hear "industry standard" as a reason to not have a better arrangement. IMHO, Starwood offers great hotels and a loyalty program that is above the industry standard. Couldn't the contracts be written to better protect SPG members that have reservations in place prior to the property leaving the program (or placed prior to notification that appears on while booking a room)?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It shouldn't matter. Starwood can sell a hotel just as "easily" as a third-party owned hotel can leave the system. It's true that we often may know which Starwood-owned hotels are for sale, but that doesn't mean a deal can't come together quickly with minimal notice. So you may be left in the lurch just as easily with an owned hotel as with a franchised/managed hotel.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Trooper508
I'm a little surprised to hear "industry standard" as a reason to not have a better arrangement. IMHO, Starwood offers great hotels and a loyalty program that is above the industry standard. Couldn't the contracts be written to better protect SPG members that have reservations in place prior to the property leaving the program (or placed prior to notification that appears on while booking a room)?
IMO, it can be possible but we can't clap with just one hand.

If the contracts are written in such a way that properties are not allowed to leave the program if no proper notification have been given prior to the departure, I doubt you will find many properties under the loyalty program. I will leave the reasons to your evaluation.

There are of course, examples in which ample time is given to guests upon the departure date but most of them are done out of good will, especially based on the existing relationships between the owners and the hotel chain.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by slowly
No. While T&C may sound similar, the practice is different, at least at Marriott. I have had 4 reservations at hotels that left Marriott, and every single time I was contacted months ahead and offered to be moved to properties nearby (at the same rate) if I wished. There was also a notice displayed at property webpages about them leaving Marriott system. I was quite pleased how they handled the situation.
Sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying by "industry standard", but I was pointing out that the ability to earn points and stay credit in addition to other hotel benefits goes away at Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton.

The Hilton experience I gave was an entirely separate post. Marriott wasn't mentioned at all.

Starwood is going to do everything it can to contact members as soon as possible when something like this happens. But, even then, sometimes the message does not get delivered, for whatever reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:33 am
Original Poster

But, even then, sometimes the message does not get delivered, for whatever reason.
William - hate to be "boring" on this point but I still think it could be clearer on the spg.com website. In Italian it still isn't clear that the hotel is exiting spg from 13 October whereas on English it clearly states so on the reservation page
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
William - hate to be "boring" on this point but I still think it could be clearer on the spg.com website. In Italian it still isn't clear that the hotel is exiting spg from 13 October whereas on English it clearly states so on the reservation page
FWIW, that may not be changing for the Italian version. My best guess is that since there are three other opportunities to learn this during the reservation process, that it is considered to be sufficient for anyone making a new reservation. YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.