FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Transfer from Amex MR to a different person's SPG account? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1001147-transfer-amex-mr-different-persons-spg-account.html)

family friend Oct 1, 2009 8:43 am

Transfer from Amex MR to a different person's SPG account?

Hello All,
I am looking to make a small transfer of Amex Membership Rewards points from a friend's account into my SPG account so I will have enough points to make an award reservation. Will this be a problem? Is it okay to transfer from one person's Amex to another's SPG? Many thanks.
Rupesh

TravelFreak131 Oct 1, 2009 11:50 am

From what I know, it is probable that SPG will not accept the points if the names on the account do not match. A friend of mine tried to do transfer from her husband's Amex to her SPG # and the SPG agent told her that the points from his Amex needed to be put in his SPG account.

damaxer91 Oct 1, 2009 2:26 pm

FYI, as with Airlines, If you initiate the transfer online it should work

Starwood Lurker Oct 1, 2009 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 12468130)
Hello All,
I am looking to make a small transfer of Amex Membership Rewards points from a friend's account into my SPG account so I will have enough points to make an award reservation. Will this be a problem? Is it okay to transfer from one person's Amex to another's SPG? Many thanks.
Rupesh

Just as an FYI, I'm told that AMEX Membership Rewards would not even initiate such a transfer over the phone. YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

family friend Oct 1, 2009 4:01 pm

Many thanks for the responses. I am currently 4.8k short of the points needed for my redemption. I am owed 2k points for 2 stays from the 1k promo but it has taken weeks to post those! I am now concerned that the hotel's availability may disappear. Are there other ways to get quick points or perhaps I should look at buying?

TravelFreak131 Oct 2, 2009 12:03 am

Well, if you are short points, but they are coming in within a week, you can ask them to hold a reservation pending the points arriving in your account. You may want to consider buying your points depending on what the room rate would cost...consider 1000 points is $35, you are looking at spending about $175. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that can get you points in the next few days, but then again it's late, so if I come up with something I'll let you know.

NDDomer86 Oct 2, 2009 12:31 am

I have never done this so someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but you could deposit these points into your friend's SPG account (create one if he/she does not have one) and then transfer those points over to your own account.

Starwood Lurker II Oct 2, 2009 1:56 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 (Post 12479059)
...you could deposit these points into your friend's SPG account (create one if he/she does not have one) and then transfer those points over to your own account.

You can only do that if the following requirements are met:
1. Both members live at the same address
2. The member from whose account the Starpoints are being deducted must advise us of his/her password
3. Neither member is an employee of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

family friend Oct 2, 2009 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravelFreak131 (Post 12478818)
Well, if you are short points, but they are coming in within a week, you can ask them to hold a reservation pending the points arriving in your account. You may want to consider buying your points depending on what the room rate would cost...consider 1000 points is $35, you are looking at spending about $175. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that can get you points in the next few days, but then again it's late, so if I come up with something I'll let you know.

I spoke with them regarding the option of holding the reservation. They have told me you have two 7 day periods to extend. I am owed some of these points for weeks but have been told that it can take 4-6 weeks so am not confident of receiving in time since most of my stays have posted immediately I fear this will take a long time and perhaps more appeals past the 4-6 week stage.