Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Platinum Requirements. Higher? No, it's an IT glitch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Not Confirmed from Starwood yet but:

Seems like it will now be

42 Stays not just 25
or
50 Nights

What do you think? Good, bad? More people need stays count double now? This could be a great way to lead into the third quarter promo by raising the stays to 42 a year but then offering stays count double.

Also, hopefully new benefits will come for people who qualify in 2010. Free Internet? Free Breakfast?

Whether this will be confirmed or not I think it evens things out for how guests qualify. Some guests could stay 50 nights while others only 25 nights (by switching hotels every night) and with double stays that means only 13 nights. They should not be a true platinum.

Also Marriott requires 75 nights
while Hilton is at 60 nights or 28 stays

I know several people will be disappointed if this is the case and hopefully they will improve both the gold and platinum benefits in the end.

Last edited by WScottsdaleInsider; Jul 17, 2009 at 7:11 pm
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I know it wouldn't make one bit of difference to *wood but I couldn't make Plat if these were the new requirements. I've been Plat for 5 years straight but I always end up making it on 25 stays, not nights. The double night promo would help but I'll go six months without a *wood stay and then do a ton in one quarter.

Problem is, I never know which quarter will be my "*wood" quarter. I'd have to move all my nights to PC and MR. Which would be fine I guess. Shame though, I like *wood. They're my favorite chain. But without being fairly sure I could maintain Plat, it would make NO sense to continue using them. The points just don't add up without the Plat bennies - for me anyway.

Bottom line - BAD. I'd be gone.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Seems? Source?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
50 Stays For Platinum?

So I just logged on to SPG.com They changed the "my account" section when you log on to show the number of nights and the number of stays needed to maintain status. Apparently, I currently have 32 stays to go to keep status. I have 18 stays so far this year. Is this a bug where the web guys mixed up nights vs stays or is *wood changing the stay requirements.

When they made the change from 20 to 25 stays I was not given any notice. I hope if they make another change they go about it differently this time. That was pre Flyertalk for me.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many systems perform upgrades over the weekends. Do not trust anything you see until Monday.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by BigBopper
So I just logged on to SPG.com They changed the "my account" section when you log on to show the number of nights and the number of stays needed to maintain status. Apparently, I currently have 32 stays to go to keep status. I have 18 stays so far this year. Is this a bug where the web guys mixed up nights vs stays or is *wood changing the stay requirements.

When they made the change from 20 to 25 stays I was not given any notice. I hope if they make another change they go about it differently this time. That was pre Flyertalk for me.
Interesting they did change it. Maybe it's forshadowing a double stay promo

Haha, I just logged in mine shows up correctly (25 Stays to Plat OR 50 Nights).
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's keep all the rumors and speculations in one thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post12083712
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Are you seeing this on your account (with the new meter) cause someone here is seeing 50 stays here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-platinum.html

My account still shows 25 though. 42 Stays seems like an odd number... but you never know.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, maybe this "bug" is only affecting people who are platinum? I should add that I'm currently SPG Gold.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Seems surprising in a down economy?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkyoshi
Are you seeing this on your account (with the new meter) cause someone here is seeing 50 stays here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-platinum.html

My account still shows 25 though. 42 Stays seems like an odd number... but you never know.
It shows 46 stays for my account. However, I am not worried, at least not until Monday. Looks like a system upgrade glitch to me.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
It shows 46 stays for my account. However, I am not worried, at least not until Monday. Looks like a system upgrade glitch to me.
Interesting, mine says I need 33 total stays to requal for Plat...
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Mine is all screwy right now too, but it's also in a fancy new bar graph format so I'm guessing that might have something to do with the problems. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if Starwood were to change the requirements for elite qualification, they would do it at the beginning of a new calendar year so as not to mess with people halfway through their attempt to re-qualify. Step back from the ledge and take a deep breath...
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:12 pm

On my account, it shows the total number of stays and nights since I joined SPG (in 2005). This year, I have 25 stays and 55 Nights. Since 2005, I have 74 Stays and 115 Nights... Perhaps this is what people are seeing?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Mine says I need 49 Stays or 50 Nights for Platinum.

If that's the case (changing stay requirements), goodbye SPG!

Although it's interesting for certain - are the variable stay requirements based on a fixed minimum revenue requirement (and hence variable due to the rates you stay on and/or properties you stay at)?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Gosh. This is just another terrible SPG.com bug. There is no way SPG would change the requirement in the mid year for next year. Whoever in charge of spg.com should be disciplined for making so many obvious mistakes. Don't they do QC in that department? Or at lesat have William proof read before it goes online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.