Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What are the published terms of the late check-out benefit?
The exact language on the SPG website is
4 p.m. late checkout, where available. [Footnote: Subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.]
Where can I find these terms stated on the SPG website?
Log into your SPG account and click on My Benefits (or go to https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ybenefits.html).
Where can I find a list of "resort and conference center hotels" on the SPG website?
You can't; it isn't there. However, one of the Starwood social-media representatives has posted (and regularly updates) a list at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html.
Do front-desk clerks at Starwood properties have a program guide that contains information on this benefit?
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Whether they choose to print a hard copy for easy reference or not, the current (2014) SPG Program Guide is available through the company intranet site although the information cited now resides on Page 13, where it still says, "Guaranteed 4 pm late check-out (only at Resorts and Conference Centers is it subject to availability)"
Per Starwood Lurker, the relevant discussion in the 2015 SPG Program Guide is on page 12.
May a resort/conference property offer late checkout for a price?
Not to anyone entitled to late checkout elsewhere. According to Starwood Lurker, if late checkout is available for a price at resort/conference hotels, then it must be made available at no cost to SPG elites.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation FAQ: 4 PM Late Check-Out: A benefit for Platinum, Gold & Preferred Plus

Perhaps our resident lurker or another kind sould could clarify this for me. Having just received my new (2006) platinum card for this year, I (naturally) carefully compare it to last year's card.

Among the changes was the disappearance of 4 pm checkout benefit from the list on the back of the card. The guide mailed together with the card also does not mention this benefit.

Is 4 pm checkout still a benefit for plats?

If this has been mentioned before, my apologies. I did try searching, but nothing relevant came up.

Inserted by moderator: Please see Lurker's post of resort properties (updated July 12, 2012):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html

For Starwood Lurker's definition of conference hotel and non participating properties, please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14407819-post514.html

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:46 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by blue2002
Perhaps our resident lurker or another kind sould could clarify this for me. Having just received my new (2006) platinum card for this year, I (naturally) carefully compare it to last year's card.

Among the changes was the disappearance of 4 pm checkout benefit from the list on the back of the card. The guide mailed together with the card also does not mention this benefit.

Is 4 pm checkout still a benefit for plats?

If this has been mentioned before, my apologies. I did try searching, but nothing relevant came up.
Well, it is still listed in the Gold member benefits under the Terms and Conditions of Membership as:

3. Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout worldwide upon request. Late checkout is subject to availability at some resort and conference locations during peak periods.

Then under Platinum member benefits it says:

Platinum Preferred Guest Benefits

In addition to all the benefits of Gold Preferred Guest membership, Platinum Preferred Guests also receive the following benefits:

So, I wouldn't worry too much about what appears or disappears from the back of the card. We've changed vendors for them about every year we've been in business, so - no doubt - the cards have changed somewhat as well.

I really would not worry too much unless you see it disappear altogether from the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

I think the true miracle is that anyone has gotten their new 2006 membership card already. It usually takes well into March for that to happen though.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Feb 10, 2006 at 5:52 pm Reason: noticed one too many usually's
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I think the true miracle is that anyone has gotten their new 2006 membership card already. It usually takes well into March for that to happen usually.
[/email]
I received mine shortly after new years this year

However, my card still has the guranteed 4PM late check out on it. It's still that old silver/bluish image with a castle behind it. I requested a replacement card around Oct/Nov of last year though so maybe I received the older version. My card doesn't expire until Feb 2007. I don't know......
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I received mine shortly after new years this year

However, my card still has the guranteed 4PM late check out on it. It's still that old silver/bluish image with a castle behind it. I requested a replacement card around Oct/Nov of last year though so maybe I received the older version. My card doesn't expire until Feb 2007. I don't know......
Hard to say really. Every late November going into March we go into non-fulfillment mode as far as membership cards go. The reason is we usually use up the current stock and are getting prepared to send out new cards after February 28th anyway. It could be that your card replacement request came in during the moratorium and we fulfilled it with the old stock after the New Year once we found out we still had some left over, but that is highly unusual.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Feb 10, 2006 at 5:51 pm Reason: added a word to clarify
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

William,

Thanks for clarifying this so quickly. ^
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:57 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I know I am nowhere near as useful as the Lurker himself, but I've NEVER had a late checkout refused after about about 70 nights in 50 different starwood hotels. This was as a preferred and gold.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:47 am

Denied 4pm Checkout - Sheraton Sand Key Resort

So I decided to try out the SPG program since I've heard good things about it. I booked a trip for my parents 25th anniversary at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort in Florida, and want to make sure they have a good trip. I gave my parents my card and told them to ask for the late checkout benefit. They were denied since apparently I have to "ask for it when making the reservations." What kind of lame excuse is this? Preferred Plus is still offered a 4pm late checkout isn't it? I've never had this problem with the other rewards programs I use, and this paints a bad picture for me already. My parents have a late flight so they could have really used the late checkout. I have to say I'm quite disappointed.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by PaulNEPats
So I decided to try out the SPG program since I've heard good things about it. I booked a trip for my parents 25th anniversary at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort in Florida, and want to make sure they have a good trip. I gave my parents my card and told them to ask for the late checkout benefit. They were denied since apparently I have to "ask for it when making the reservations." What kind of lame excuse is this? Preferred Plus is still offered a 4pm late checkout isn't it? I've never had this problem with the other rewards programs I use, and this paints a bad picture for me already. My parents have a late flight so they could have really used the late checkout. I have to say I'm quite disappointed.
Sorry for your disappointment, but this benefit is subject to availability at resorts and conference destinations.

Also, they apparently weren't members in the program. Your benefits are not transferrable to non-members or members with a lesser status.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:46 pm

Sorry for your disappointment, but this benefit is subject to availability at resorts and conference destinations.

Also, they apparently weren't members in the program. Your benefits are not transferrable to non-members or members with a lesser status.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Is it guaranteed at other destinations?

I was denied 4pm check-out at a non-resort non-conference destination (I'm a gold spg member)
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by javabean
Is it guaranteed at other destinations?

I was denied 4pm check-out at a non-resort non-conference destination (I'm a gold spg member)
Yes. If denied, you should be contacting Corporate Customer Service. 800-328-6242.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:01 pm

Yes. If denied, you should be contacting Corporate Customer Service. 800-328-6242.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
thanks for your reply! i did not know it's guaranteed. ^
but the hotel did not seem to know that either
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by javabean
thanks for your reply! i did not know it's guaranteed. ^
but the hotel did not seem to know that either
I thought it was 'guaranteed' for Plats and 'if available' for Golds?
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by paullevi
I thought it was 'guaranteed' for Plats and 'if available' for Golds?
Guaranteed for everyone Preferred Plus (including Corporate) and above, except as outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Guaranteed for everyone Preferred Plus (including Corporate) and above, except as outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks for the clarification on the benefit... Also, you handled the "breach of terms" with the member giving his card to his parents... nicely. Impressive, you really represent SPG well!!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
my past history indicates that Resorts will stiff you and NOT give you the late checkout... I'm not saying that no one has ever not rec'd a late checkout, just that all my experiences at resorts (including many conference centers which can be just about any hotel with a ballroom) has been negative with this benefit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.