Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand (Pre-opening discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

W Bangkok, Thailand (Pre-opening discussion)

Not sure whether this has been posted before but I am sure this is good news for fans of W Hotels.

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news07...lBangkok.shtml

Starwood has signed a contract to manage its second W Hotel in Thailand,the W Bangkok. The newly constructed, 400-room hotel will debut in 2011 as part of a luxurious, mixed-use development close to the heart of the city's commercial and diplomatic center. The hotel is owned by North Sathorn Hotel Company, a joint venture between Istithmar Hotels and Golden Land Property Development.

Within walking distance to more than 20 embassies and commercial centers, W Bangkok will be located in the prime business district of Sathorn, an area with a high concentration of luxury hotels. W Bangkok will be an integral part of the Golden Land's Sathorn Square, a mixed-use project that also includes a 750,000 square foot premium office tower and a variety of retail shops, centered on the historic landmark Russian Embassy complex. When open, the W Bangkok will also have direct access to the Bangkok Sky Train, making it easy for visitors to zip around this colorful, eclectic city.

The W Bangkok aims to meet the needs of Bangkok's bustling business district, offering 30,000 square feet of meeting space. Additional facilities will include a W Kitchen, W Living Room, a signature restaurant and bar, a Sweat Fitness Center, an outdoor pool and a signature spa. Rooms will include the W bed, complete with a feather-top mattress, 350 thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets and goose-down comforter. The hotel will also feature W's exclusive Whatever/Whenever concierge service, the hotel's 24-hour service commitment that can provide whatever guests want - from a pair of running shoes to private jet service - whenever they want it.

"Following the announcement of W Retreat & Residences-Koh Samui, W Bangkok is a logical extension of W's dynamic growth in Thailand," said Miguel Ko, President of Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Asia Pacific. "Bangkok is a perfect fit for W hotels, appealing to the brand's sophisticated travelers with a delectable mix of diverse cultures, world-class shopping and an unsurpassed epicurean experience."

As the capital city of Thailand and its most important and popular tourist destination, Bangkok welcomes more than 90% of the total inbound visitors to Thailand and serves as a major gateway to Asia Pacific. The recent opening of the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport and the addition of several new convention centers signifies the continued growth of Bangkok's tourism industry as well as its position as an important economic hub for the region.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:06 am

Great, considering that BKK is one of my fave cities to visit! The presence of a W will make my visits even more enjoyable. ^

So there'd be both an aLoft and a W in Bangkok. ^
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:05 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
nice location, long time away

2011 seems so far away!
sounds great, curious to see what W design folks will do to make it 'thai'...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Great, but 4 years is a bit too far for me.

In the meantime, I'll continue to stay at the Metropolitan, the hotel that every W should strive to be like...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:10 pm

big bump.

Currently showing a October 1,2012 opening date
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by DBCme
big bump.

Guess it's time to have a stroll by next time I'm in town and see what the construction looks like!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Some great photos of the entire complex here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=591408&page=7
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

big bump.

I had heard December- is October now confirmed? The complex looks very interesting.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:41 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I had heard December- is October now confirmed? The complex looks very interesting.
I wouldn't get overexcited. I don't remember a hotel in BKK opening on the advertised date. It'll likely be well after New Year. W can't afford to open until it's ready.

I don't love Sathorn, but this one may kick the owner of SGS in the bum enough to finally approve the reno.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
I don't love Sathorn, but this one may kick the owner of SGS in the bum enough to finally approve the reno.
Depends a lot on the rates.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKopf

I don't love Sathorn
Sathorn is far from my favorite area as well- however I think the BTS connection here will be workable, and after dinner/very early morning the traffic shouldn't be too bad.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
Opening date in 2012?

Already looks awesome! Thanks for posting the link to the construction pictures.

Hope it's open when I'm there by the end of the year
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Per SPG site:

W Bangkok - Opening December 1, 2012
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
They are taking reservations!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Per SPG site:

W Bangkok - Opening December 1, 2012
Opening pushed, apparently, by 6 days

W Bangkok - Opening December 7, 2012

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=3258

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.