Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2004, 10:54 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Arrow Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Am writing from the dining room of the Sheraton Suites. First stay here and am impressed with the Plat. pkg.: free parking, free full bkfst. nice small health club/indoor pool combo and very nice staff as others have reported. (Prop. used to be a Marriott and is co-located in Symphony auditorium). Free wi-fi on the lobby/dining room floor but Plats pay $10/day like everyone else for in-room hi-speed. Had been rotating betw. Westin Horton and SC Harbor Island. This property is calling out to become my regular here.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Sheraton Suites San Diego - Club Level?

Hi -

Search did not prove fruitful so here goes. Family trip to San Diego in 2006; have decided to stay at San Diego Suites in order to get the Suite so that our son can sleep out in the other room while we are in our room. Will be using points. Question is:

Do I book at 7000/night for a regular room or upgrade to 8500/night for the Club Level room? Anyone have any experience with room type differences at this hotel? Website says club gets breakfast for 2 each morning plus one drink per person in evening. Are the rooms any different? Is the breakfast worth the 1500 pts / night?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:11 pm

regular

I've stayed at this property and will warn you that it is just "eh"; however, with the family going having the extra space will be nice.

I haven't stayed on the club level but judging from other properties I would say to book the standard room. There are plenty of places within a short walking distance where it would be much nicer to bring the family for breakfast (e.g. while sitting outside, etc).
Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., HH Silver
sheraton suites

If I recall correctly, there was no discernible difference between the club floor and standard room. The club level provided a bathrobe and newspapers each morning, but I do not believe the room set-up is any different. Book the standard room.

The breakfast is not worth 1500 points. You will find the lobby and 12th floor bar to be mediocre and somewhat depressing. I agree-- there are better places to have breakfast with the family. 7000 points/night for this property is arguably somewhat steep. consider the US Grant (which is luxury collection) depending on how many points this requires. the sheraton mission valley has some terrific suites....but then again, the sheraton suites is reliable given that you can walk to gaslamp district and petco park.

Last edited by starLA; Apr 21, 2005 at 5:55 pm
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
There is a thread on here somewhere about this and other SD wood properties

I posted some details on my stay here in Jan/Feb on that thread

In short, this is a rebranded Marriott Suites, basically all the rooms are the same. Its one bedroom with a K or 2D beds, and a sitting room with a pullout sofa.

The lounge on 12 (check in level I think) sucks. The bar is ok.

This place is ok, but not worth the points, you can do better elsewhere

As for 2006 that is so far off that anything (good or bad) can happen
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Thanks...

Well, I guess the first question is that from someone like TrojanHorse who has been there, I assume the sitting area "fully closes off" from the bedroom, right? The website says it has french doors - I just want to make sure that is true.

As for it not being a great hotel - here is my dilemma - we are looking at staying down there 7 nights - so 42,000 for the regular room. It is really a requirement to have 2 areas - one where sleep, and one where our son sleeps - which is closed off or connected somehow via the interior.

Are there any other properties out there that someone can suggest, keeping in mind I can't afford 20,000 pts/night for 2 rooms at the W? 10k/night is good, maybe even a little more if a 1500 pt upgrade gets us a suite of some sorts - or 2 rooms connecting is good. I know for sure the W seems to be the place to be - and my wife and I would go there in a second if we were without our son, but travelling with my boy (will be 2 1/2) changes things...space is the big thing now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDITED - I see that the Sheraton Mission Valley was suggested; I'll do some research on that to see if that could work out; its only a Cat 2 so even connecting rooms might work...but then its the same price as the SSuites so who knows...and its not walking distance best I can tell...I'll search and see...

And sorry for not finding the trip report via my original search. I will look again.

Thanks!

Last edited by EC Traveler; Apr 22, 2005 at 7:05 am
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat, AA Gold, Priority Club Gold, WN Comp Pass, Hertz PC
I was just there in March, wasted 2 of my free nights earned from last year. The club level is definitely not worth it, besides, if you are elite you will most likely be upgraded to the club level anyway. The breakfast is okay if they are free, but definitely not worth the 1500 points. They do give you free Internet on the club level, if you need it.

The rooms are very small. Like the others said there is no difference between the levels. I even requested a corner suite and that turned out to be the same size as a regular room. I think they told me that this used to be a Marriott, so all the configuration is from its Marriott time.

Since the rooms are small, I only tried to sleep on the sofa. There really isn't enough room to pull out the sofa bed for your son. The sofa isn't comfortable to sleep in, and there isn't extra blankets and pillows in the closet.

There is French door between the bedroom and living room, if that's what they call it. The door doesn't block any noise or light, since it's a thin white curtain on a glass door. If you and your wife want to really enjoy yourselves while your son is soundly asleep, this ain't it.

There is no longer free parking for Plats at this property, contrary to what I found in earlier threads. They said that SPG headquarter forbid them to give out free parkings anymore. At $20 a night for a really cramped parking structure, it's steep and sucks. You will also need to be quite brave to drive up and down 7 stories in a really tight and steep spiral, kind of reminded of the Space Mountains in Disneyland.

If you can stay somewhere else, like Sheraton Missions, go for it. You will enjoy the extra room that comes with a connecting room configuration, or you may even be upgraded to a suite there for cheaper, given that it's only Cat 2. I've never stayed there personally so can't share any experience.

The W San Diego is also worth consideration. If you are Plat, or will be, call their manager early, I think his name is Raji or Haji, and ask him to hook you up with one of the Kewl Suites. They don't have many suites but from what I hear, the suites are kewl, just like they are called. If not, you can also place your son on the day bed on the window. It's long and big enough for a 2 and 1/2 year old.

You can always get a cabana on the "Beach" and sleep there
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Sorearm pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would only add that I parked on the street, but then again I didn't have to worry about parking during the day since I was at work.

Yes they have sep. rooms. French doors with a thin cloth over them do exist but don't block out much light.

I had a great suite as a plat at the W, but I don't know if you are plat or not, plus I was only there one night, not sure if you would get that for a week. I enjoyed my stay but then again it was only one night (W)
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
How far from the Hyatt

Is this walkable to the Manchester Grand Hyatt? If not how is cab service in SD? I just found out I'm going to a conference next week, and the Sheraton Suites is appealing because I will be bringing my 7 month old, who makes noise when he sleeps. Also a a Plat can I expect to be put on the Club Floor, or at least have access to the breakfast as my wife likes to start out with coffee and a little snack at the hotel in the morning.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, AA CK, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, KAL MC, Hyatt Globalist, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Ditto on the club level, definetly not worth it. Was a Marriott before, the furniture in the rooms still had Marriott stickers on it.

The pool is really small and the last time I stayed with my family incredibly crowded. The water smelled very funny

Definetly overpriced for what you get. The room service food was abysmal as well.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Arrow Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall (Master Thread)

For any of you visiting San Diego you should defintely check out the Sheraton Suites. They treat SPG Plats better than any of the other downtown Starwoods. They give you buffet breakfast coupons, drinks at there bar. Free internet and two bottles of water each day. The service is excellent and the staff are extremely professional.

They also have a great club house and PB and J.

The other hotels pale in comparison. The could all change when the US Mint is complete. For now you cant even compare the W or the Westin with this hotel. The Westin use to give waters to plats but you dont even get that anymore. The W gives you a box of chocolates and use to also give water. You stand a better chance of winning the lotter than getting a suite upgrade at the W.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, SPG - Plat, Hyatt - Diamond, Marriott - Silver, Avis - First
I agree the Sheraton Suites treat Plat members extremely well. Its only drawback is that its located is somewhat a shady area. The Westin is pretty good - I usually get the corner/deluxe rooms and actually got a bi-level suite upgrade this week!
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:02 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I have also had good stays at this Sheraton Suites. The big drawback lately has been weekday parking and in-house parking: a real hassle. Weekends, there's sometimes street parking avail. not too many blocks away.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall

I see this hotel is less than 1 mile from the airport. When I land at SAN I am going to take a cab from the airport to this hotel, but I am curious if you can walk from the airport to this hotel. My dad arrives into SAN 10 hours after I arrive, and I would like to be able to walk from the hotel back to the airport to meet my dad. I am just curious if anyone has done this walk.

Thank you, Jim
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:09 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

It's 1 mile as the plane flies. Though I've walked thru downtown and to the Harbor in about 25 minutes, there are some steep hills between this hotel and SAN and some busy traffic lanes to negotiate in the airport area. There is an easy alternate, however: you're only a few blocks from the stop for the 992 city bus West ($2.25 fare) which will take you in about 10 mins. from Downtown directly to the terminal of your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.