Ameritrade Starwood offer [Master Thread]

Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Arrow Ameritrade Starwood offer [Master Thread]

What are your opinons about the new Ameritrade deal ?

$2,000 deposit = 3,000 Starpoints
$10,000 = 10k Starpoints
$25,000 = 20k Starpoints

Is this better than their offers for Airline miles ?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Sorry

http://www.ameritrade.com/spg/
Old Apr 10, 2003, 1:52 pm

Read the fine print:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Offer valid for new Individual or Joint accounts opened and funded between 04/01/03 and 10/31/03. Please allow 6-8 weeks from account funding for the first half of Starpoints to appear in your StarwoodPreferred Guest account. Account must remain open with minimum funding of elected tier level for 6 months; at that time allow 6-8 weeks for the second half of Starpoints to appear in your Starwood Preferred Guest account. </font>
Old Apr 10, 2003, 2:09 pm

The other important word is "new". If you have taken advantage of any other mileage programs with Ameritrade, it will not work. I have tried this before and it was a lost cause. I don't know if anyone else has experienced something differently, but I thought I'd give you a heads up.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

The minimum is only $25,000 for 20,000 points right ? Thats almost as good as the old Savings Bonds deal for 6 months.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I wonder what "new" customer really means. If you were a customer like 3 years ago, do you think they will notice? funsun, how long after you were a customer did you try to apply for another offer?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:
I wonder what "new" customer really means.</font>
I just spoke with an Ameritrade CSR. He said that if you previously had an individual account with them (which I did), you could still open a new joint account and you'd get the points (which I will).
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:31 pm
Suspended

do you have to trade or can you park the money for six months and then pull it out?
Old Apr 11, 2003, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
You can just leave the money in there for 6 months and then pull it out. This is generally a pretty sweet deal. E*Trade has similar deals, although they are usually with Marriott. These offers are always changing, so keep an eye out for them.

Of course, nothing beats savings bonds.

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
do you have to trade or can you park the money for six months and then pull it out?</font>
Old Apr 11, 2003, 10:25 am

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
When I did the application online it wouldn't let me fund more than $20,000. So I did the $20,000 and it said "Your account-opening bonus is 20,000 Starwood Starpoints (Offer Code: RNJ)."

Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:54 am

Do you have to move cash or can you just transfer securities from another account in another brokerage?
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rmart2:
Do you have to move cash or can you just transfer securities from another account in another brokerage?</font>
I moved securities in order to qualify for the Delta miles, so I'm sure the same would be true for Starwood. They would prefer this - it means you really are opening a brokerage account, and will likely trade, as compared to putting in funds and pulling them out in 6 months. For Delta, though, I received half the miles to start, and then should get the other half after 6 months.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 3:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I hate to be a jerk, but say you pull your equity after the first half is posted b/c you don''t want to park it that long. Can you keep your points, or will they come back and take them from you?
Old Apr 11, 2003, 5:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BoSoxFan45:
I hate to be a jerk, but say you pull your equity after the first half is posted b/c you don''t want to park it that long. Can you keep your points, or will they come back and take them from you?</font>
I wouldn't want to be in a position to find out the answer, but I do believe I've read somewhere on FT that they also charge you for closing an account after a short period. Either way, I don't think I'd sign up unless I really intended to keep the account at least the 6 months.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 6:18 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Do I understand this correctly? You cannot qualify for the points with a Trust Account. To transfer securities the account registration must be identical. Therefore if you hold your assets in a Trust this deal does not work, at least as far as transferring securities. I have stocks and/or bonds which I would like to move to take advantage of this deal but not if it involves changing the registration which can be a big time consuming hassle. If you just move cash in and take it out later what is the fee? Usually there is a fee for closing an account but I did not see a specific fee for closing an account shown on the web site. Thanks for any insight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.