Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Phoenix/Tempe Airport [Master Thread]

Sheraton Phoenix/Tempe Airport [Master Thread]

Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services - 1 MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
Arrow Sheraton Phoenix/Tempe Airport [Master Thread]

I have a couple of questions about this sheraton?

Anyone have any quick stay reports that they can share?

Do they have suites that platinums get upgraded to?

Do they have an aiport shuttle. Website says "limited". Does that mean like once an hour or something like that?
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yes to all your questions. Not sure of shuttle schedule but it is maybe every 30 min. Property OK but nothing special, neither better nor worse than the dozen other hotels around PHX airport. The better hotels are some distance from the airport (15+ miles).
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot can change in 3 years, but here's an old thread on the place, including a comment from me on a nice experience I had there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170950
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:29 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oag123
I have a couple of questions about this sheraton?

Anyone have any quick stay reports that they can share?

Do they have suites that platinums get upgraded to?

Do they have an aiport shuttle. Website says "limited". Does that mean like once an hour or something like that?
IIRC, lounge is very good (with free alcohol).

But, I have never gotten a suite there.

All other things being equal, I prefer the Airport Hilton.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:34 am

Spent 2-3 weeks last spring camped out at this property - and I'd echo the comments from number_6 and stc (except the Hilton part). Lounge was great (booze was free and attendent very accommodating), suite was decent but nothing to write home about. Incidentally, I found the shuttle pretty worthless - they only seem to have the one shuttle, and it does double duty between a semi-regular downtown run and airport pickup/dropoff. ETA's for airport pickup are much like betting red/black at the roulette table - they may be right on, or they may be over an hour off (I gave up after repeated phone calls to the property and just got a taxi).

Last edited by ConsultantFlyer; Jan 26, 2005 at 1:38 am
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:26 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ConsultantFlyer
Spent 2-3 weeks last spring camped out at this property - and I'd echo the comments from number_6 and stc (except the Hilton part). ...
Well, IMHO, the PHX Airport Hilton is better because:

1) The lounge is open 7 days a week and is usually staffed by a great bartender, Jon Marvin. The PHX Airport Sheraton closes on weekends whenver they feel like it.

2) The heating system at the Hilton is better. It is newer. Makes less noise. Doesn't freeze over. One time I was at the Sheraton, the Lounge was like 90 degrees because the AC unit had failed.

3) The exercise room at the Hilton is better. About 3 times the size of the one at the Sheraton. And the equipment is newer at the Hilton.

The Sheraton is usually cheaper and the Aiport noise is less on the other hand.

YMMV.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services - 1 MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by stc
2) The heating system at the Hilton is better. It is newer. Makes less noise. Doesn't freeze over. One time I was at the Sheraton, the Lounge was like 90 degrees because the AC unit had failed.
Has anybody stayed here recently to see if the AC is working? I like to do work in lounges over a nice beer but a malfunctioning AC unit is enough to make me look for another property (given that it'll be over 100 when I'm there next week).
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by stc
The heating system at the Hilton is better.
Heating system? In Phoenix? Guess you were there the one week in the year they turn it on.

I stayed at this Sheraton property last night for the first time. Kudos for free booze in the lounge. Otherwise, your typical, clean Sheraton. Shuttle runs every 30 minutes, 24/7. No complaints.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:32 am

Quick review

I just stayed at this Sheraton a couple of nights ago so I thought I would add a few comments.
The front desk tried to upgrade me to a suite but there was none ready when I checked in at 12:30PM. I appreciated their effort.
The Club Lounge is closed now but should reopen sometime in the fall. In lieu of that, they hand Plat members coupons for either two drinks at the bar or a single admission to the continental breakfast. They were very liberal with the coupons and I ended up getting five coupons in all.
I didn’t check out the gym but its hours are 6AM-10PM. The pool is pretty small and in the middle of this rectangular shaped hotel.
The A/C had to always be on in my room because as soon as it went off, the room got warm REAL QUICK. Granted, it was 107 outside, I would think that the insulation would’ve held up better. Maybe they should install double paned windows.
Room service was quick and courteous. It came to be in about 15 mins. They were very accommodating when I asked them for a sauce different than their standard cream sauce on the dish that I ordered.
The dining area was pretty small and one of their groups has a luncheon for the attendees and they had to commandeer the entire dining area AND the lobby lounge for them. I had to eat lunch at the bar. This wasn’t too much of a problem, just an inconvenience.
The shuttle to the airport is free and it only takes about 10mins to get there.
If you’re in the higher numbered rooms (eg. >x40 where x is the floor you’re on), don’t take the elevator across from the front desk. Instead there is another elevator at the end of the lobby behind the bar. This will save you from walking around the entire perimeter of the building.

All in all, a good hotel and I’d stay here again (when it cools down). 107 degrees... YIKES!
Old May 8, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by aslsigner
I just stayed at this Sheraton a couple of nights ago so I thought I would add a few comments.
Stayed here last night arriving around 7pm, with a 6am flight out, so a few up-to-date comments:

1) The hotel claimed they "don't have suites." I asked "are they full?" and the response was "we don't have them but you can have a nice room on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor."

2) Loudest hotel air conditioning I've ever heard. I actually had to sleep with my Bose headset on, and as a city-dweller I'm pretty used to sleeping with some noise.

3) Unresponsive staff. In additon to the "no suites" lie, when I complained about the AC around 9pm, was only told "sorry, we've never had any complaints, all rooms are similar."

I wouldn't stay there again, and will be pursuing this with their management.
Old May 8, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Thanks for the heads up (and great timing). I just cancelled a stay I have there tomorrow night. Unfortunately, it seems that many of the decent hotels are booked.
Old May 9, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
I stayed there the 3rd week of April and my experience was pretty much the same. The AC was so loud I left it off . And with all of the hotels in the vicinity booked, I ended up moving to the HGI Midtown - not exactly next door, though I was at a convention downtown.
Old May 9, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I actually had to sleep with my Bose headset on, and as a city-dweller I'm pretty used to sleeping with some noise.

That must have been some sight! I'm bummed this hotel is so poor, its the closest one to downtown Tempe, a place I'm going to be frequenting.
Old May 9, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
I have stayed at this property several times this year. I have never been given a suite (have been told that there are no suites), but have otherwise had decent experiences. The club is nice and has always been open on weekends. I have not been there in the past month or so, so I cannot comment on the a/c noise. That could definitely be a bother with the Arizona summer quickly approaching.

There were other Starwoods that I would have preferred to stay at, but none were as close to Tempe (which I had to be) & inexpensive, so the Sheraton worked out just fine.

As others have mentioned, the Phoenix Airport Hilton is a great option if you don't want to risk the a/c issues at the Sheraton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.